RMweb

BR Griddle car SC1100 - Internal photos?

I am building the rather obscure BR Griddle car SC1100, but I am lacking internal images. There are two B&W photos in the HMRS book on Mark 1 stock by Keith Parkin, but I can't find anything in colour. The Book claims it had orange curtains wood panelling and black with gold striping moquette, which is unique compared to its later sisters SC1101-SC1105. Can anyone help me out with any internal photos of her in 1980 restored condition?BRGriddleCarSC1100.jpg.6a2ab971726fd1acadc96847c801b47b.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/12/2023 at 16:53, LMRT said:

Can anyone help me out with any internal photos of her in 1980 restored condition?

On 03/12/2023 at 16:53, LMRT said:

which is unique compared to its later sisters SC1101-SC1105

I don't seem to have any photos, but the scan extract below indicates that 1100-1102 were different to 1103-1105, both internally and externally.

IMG_20231204_185014_resize.jpg.f0955a01a93e61b8c247501d70fbc4d1.jpg

Ian

• Like 1

Follow-up question... Is there a registry of solebar markings??? I am trying to figure out what they are and what they mean. Most of them end with 1.7.78 and the one above the Brake Compressor is BC. 1.7.78, which makes sense, but the others are a bit hard to make out, one of them appears to be GAS D. 1.7.78 or GAS 0. 1.7.78 and the other one could be SHO. 1.7.78.
image.png.68d086ad3e8304a77e6ea1a977fa76d1.png

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mark54 said:

There are some interior colour footage of a diag 30 Griddle Car in this 1961 Pathe out-takes reel at 1.46.

www.britishpathe.com/asset/36346/

Some magnificent stuff there. Thanks Mark.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LMRT said:

Follow-up question... Is there a registry of solebar markings??? I am trying to figure out what they are and what they mean. Most of them end with 1.7.78 and the one above the Brake Compressor is BC. 1.7.78, which makes sense, but the others are a bit hard to make out, one of them appears to be GAS D. 1.7.78 or GAS 0. 1.7.78 and the other one could be SHO. 1.7.78.
image.png.68d086ad3e8304a77e6ea1a977fa76d1.png

Only guessing here, but could it be that the letter after gas is a "D" for date or due, and that the nearer lettering then reads EHD for "electric heating date/due"?  

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Only guessing here, but could it be that the letter after gas is a "D" for date or due, and that the nearer lettering then reads EHD for "electric heating date/due"?  

Should be SHO, steam heat overhaul and the date is the overhaul date. Sole bar dates are the overhaul/maintenance done dates. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 45125 said:

Should be SHO, steam heat overhaul and the date is the overhaul date. Sole bar dates are the overhaul/maintenance done dates. 

So the OP was right - I've only muddied the waters, sorry! 

• Like 1

Following up - Is that a lightning bolt under the "Emergency Lighting Point"? 
I am also curious as to why the GAS overhaul notice is on the wrong side of the van as the gas tanks are visible in the top picture on the other side from the batteries. Does it relate to the round port next to it? That top photo is the best I can find of that side of the van, and I can see the vacuum cylinder star, but not what's next to it. I assume another BC and P. Saying this, they will all probably be too small to see and I'm making far too much work for myself.

On 07/12/2023 at 15:04, LMRT said:

Following up - Is that a lightning bolt under the "Emergency Lighting Point"? 
I am also curious as to why the GAS overhaul notice is on the wrong side of the van as the gas tanks are visible in the top picture on the other side from the batteries. Does it relate to the round port next to it? That top photo is the best I can find of that side of the van, and I can see the vacuum cylinder star, but not what's next to it. I assume another BC and P. Saying this, they will all probably be too small to see and I'm making far too much work for myself.

The emergency lighting point has an arrow pointing towards the charging socket. the gas overhaul date will be on both sole bars next to the gas pressure gauge. The BC will be BO for brake overhaul followed by the date.

Hope that helps .

Al Taylor 

• Thanks 1