Tregrea. Cornish Clay works on the mainline

treggyman

HI All

Tregrea is a fictional Cornish China Clay layout.

The baseboards are made & the track laid....

I hope finally as it has been adjusted a few times.....

Partly due to me not being happy with it & partly due to running problems.....

I've had a good play & all seems to work as I require though I'm sure when my son & grandson have a go they will find some issues....

I've started ballasting & the main buildings have been made & a start made on painting them......

Anyway......

I first thought of doing Burngullow prior to the redoubling with the branch to Parkindillack.....

But I also like Goonbarrow with the works & storage sidings behind the signal box.......

So a sort of compromise followed.....

Tregreatrackplan.jpg.ce22d5824b617a59b76ab98df9344a58.jpg

Sorry the track plan is hand drawn but I don't do these computer drawings.....

Hopefully it gives an Idea of what I'm trying to do....

So there is a double track mainline that becomes single at the western end of the layout.

There is a medium sized Clay Works (the linhay is over a metre long ) on one end & there will be aggregate loading facilities at the other end.

As there is no freight west of here apart from the fuel train to Long Rock I haven't bothered with access to the yard from the West....

The returning empty tanks can be reversed into the yard to collect any additional traffic.

The clay works will receive empty wagons for loading for despatch.....Clay Slurry tanks , CDA's ,JIA's or Tiger Hoppers & Ferrywagons for bagged Clay.

The Aggregate will be bucket loaded & a rake of wagons will arrive to be loaded while the train loco removes the already loaded wagons.

Plenty of shunting.....Spare shunters have their own fuelling point & stabling siding .

Also I can sit & watch the trains go by either at the same time or instead of shunting as it is a round/roundy.

The trains are restricted to the fiddle yard length which is the traverser from my previous layouts & sidings/headshunt /storage sidings reflect this.

This layout will not leave home so is not designed to be transported though I have built it in sections so that I can take it apart for maintenance or general access.

As far as construction goes it is a 6mm ply top on ex25x100mm softwood frame.

I wanted lots of storage so I built several kitchen unit carcasses & put parallel supports for the baseboard of50x100 softwood timber fixed to the tops so the whole lot for a level stable base for the baseboards to sit on......

Its sturdy enough for me to be able to walk on as I tested the other day when I had to get to the TV coaxial cable......

A things stand exhibiting is going to be awkward so I thought I'd build a layout that would keep me busy/entertained & interested...

It will be worked on when I feel like it ,the idea being that it's purely for FUN & relaxation........

Updates will occur as & when.....

Hope you've not been too bored reading this diatribe ...

'til next timw

Cheers Bill 

Edited by treggyman
To change file from pdf to jpeg
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Melangoose said:

Hi Bill,

I always find your layouts very inspirational, so I just can’t wait to see how you get on with this one.  Great back story.  Like the double line going to single (very Cornish).

Hi Melangoose

Thanks for the comment.....Really appreciated....

I really enjoyed your Clay layout Melangoose & just wish I was able to see it live....

Wyvern Road is also a great layout & I have learnt loads whilst following your progress......

Keep up the good work...

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi again,

Having reread my spiel I realise I didn't put any dimensions on the plan....

The layout is 13ft long with a 2ft wide 5ft long central board .The two end boards start as 2ft wide but end up at 4ft wide at the end of their 4ft length with an 18inch wide transition to the join to the return to the fiddle yard.

This enables me to have the scenic area go round the corners.....

As far as operation goes passenger trains can arrive from the East & be held whilst a train from the West arrives....The wiring allows for the train from the East start on it's way whilst the Western train is still moving.....

Keeps the brain entertained making sure all the switches are right & which controller is which.....

Or they can just run straight through one at a time in either direction.

Goods trains arrive from the East & drive to the end of headshunt  A where the loco uncouples with the aid of an undertrack magnet. A shunter is waiting in the headhunt G & draws the train back to place the empty wagons into one of the reception sidings B.The shunter then returns to the headhunt G while the train loco draws forward & then reverses on to it's waiting loaded train in the other siding B.

Once the loaded train has left the shunter then shunts the empty wagons either to the clay works or to the aggregate loading area & places loaded wagons ready for collection in one of the  B sidings.

As you can see lots of opportunity for shunting or just watching the trains go by..... 

As complex or simple as I might feel....

Cheers Bill

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Rhysb said:

Bill,

Always great to see another Cornish layout coming along. All the best and look forward to following its progress

Rhys

Hi  Rhys

Thanks for that......

It will be a slow burner once I've caught up with what I've already built.......

Your Porthleven layout is superb ....Just sad I couldn't get to Taunton to see it.....

I cribbed details from your Linhay into mine......More anon.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

Another update with how far things have got so far.......

A few general pics of the buildings so far........

Only the slurry loader is nearly complete.....Just got to figure out what to put in the 'shed'.....Some sort of control gear I think.....

It's loosely based on the one at Burngullow.......Found some pictures on Flickr to guide me but it isn't an exact model......

The Linhay is 44in long....Quite a beast......

I had modelled one before Both on Penhallick Junction & Hendra but used Rhysb's Porthleven model as inspiration/details for this one......I also used the method of fixing the cladding that he describes in his thread.....I am quite pleased with the effect......

I did consider making the Linhay roof pitch steeper to give the impression of more height as these buildings are BIG but opted for the correct pitch....With hindsight think I should have made it look taller with a steeper pitch.....

Just a few general pictures of the buildings roughly placed in position.....

Most are just in grey primer but a couple have had the weathering started.....

IMG_4998.jpg.90777927e048a2a333900186dc63e0a2.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg.5fb13754d27351f2bc51a41645a63eaf.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg.95bccbc4f855c12b438854dcd374e40d.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg.918b7aca596ff8b13ebe1019b88e9277.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg.8ec2c66500140fd9ac00861b4f10259b.jpg

I like to keep up with the times & bought 3 JGA's to bolster my fleet as replacements for the CDA's.......

They were resprayed from the grey version (as they were cheaper than the correct liveried ones )with the blue added to the end covers.......Then they were found to be no use !!!!! Typical....

Anyway they look nice to me & they can be shunted in & out of the spare stock siding....

IMG_5008.jpg.c3f63de8b8c4d43bbf261fc6a0b2d195.jpg

The signal box came from Largish ,an uncompleted photo plank.

That's it for now......

Cheers Bill

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

A bit of one step forward & two steps back.....

On the forward step I've done a bit more weathering of the clay buildings.......

The trouble is that as they're so big I would normally do this outdoors but the weather's been so wet that it's impossible to set up outside to spray.....So I've been experimenting using really thin Tamiya acrylic paint sprayed indoors with the extractor fan of my spray booth on & a suitable mask........Results seem OK so far & being water based hopefully not too many nasties......

The main step back was at the Eastern end......

Father Christmas kindly bought me some of the new Hornby TTA tanks.....

Very nice model with lot's of underframe detail but most importantly the correct end ladder detail for the ESSO tanks that came down here.I removed the Unleaded markings & have removed some & faded more of the ESSO logo's (which I think are too small).

I had previously added end ladders & hand rails to old Hornby & Bachmann tanks but they didn't look very good so they have now been replaced.......

The problem is they buffer locked when being reversed into the yard on the curves at the Eastern end of the layout......

I had had to relay that end before as the old one did but relaying had sorted the problem.......

The problem had now come back.

So I've now relaid the outer track & am replacing the curved point on the inner line with a hand built one which I've just finished making which will hopefully make the track flow better than it did before as the Peace curved point that I had adapted was too sharp a radius.......Then lay it & relay the inner track.......

Anyway it keeps me off the streets I suppose

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Well the glacier has moved......

I built the new point & fitted it.....

The kink in the track has now gone & I think it looks much a much smoother curve......
Not brilliant pics but I hope it shows it.

Before:

IMG_5019res.jpg.1589f220dc99562ac8ab6037138a0ef2.jpg

& after:

IMG_5031res.jpg.cbf1d087184f1969cf1ffd4244562534.jpg

Then spent a while checking that all ran well & it seems too.....

I can now split a westbound freight & reverse the wagons into the yard leaving the remaining fuel tanks to go on their way to Long Rock......& I can return the empties & add the empty from Tregrea plus any other Clay wagons to make up the train to go on it's merry way Eastward.

The other job I have done is to fit the back scene boards......

It would have been so much easier if I'd done it before I'd laid the track but on my previous layouts the back was always accessible......Not in this case.....

It meant the whole layout being taken apart & swung through 180 degrees & balanced on makeshift supports to accomplish.....

IMG_5032res.jpg.286796b87489c1de8130ed4e187f7037.jpg

In other news......

I have always before made my own working signals either from scratch ( colour light ) or from MSE kits or scratch & MSE parts for semaphores......

Well as my eyesight isn't as good now I splashed out & bought some Dipole motorised ones.....

There are some reasonably priced second hand ones on a well known auction site & I've ordered a couple more from Kernow.

They are nice signals......Sadly the bracket ones are only square post & I thought they were faulty & realised by going on the internet that the suspected fault was the 'bounce'.

Next job will be to fit these while the layout is in bits then paint the back scene boards when hopefully I shan't have to take the layout to bits again & I can get on with some scenic work........

That's all for now....

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

HI All

Well a bit more progress to report....

The backscene boards are all fixed & painted a light blue colour.....

Will maybe also add the suggestion of whispy cloud later...

The rail sides are also painted on the viewing side as well....

In the past I've always used acrylic paint but this time I used a thinned enamel which 'washed' on quite easily......

I painted the backscene & rail sides whilst the baseboards were on their edge which made both jobs much easier & less messy......

The rust colour was made up using a mix of Humbrol matt 62 ,matt 180 & Phoenix thinners to a ratio of 40 : 40 : 20 Which came out quite well......

The only problem with the wash method quite a lot of paint ends up on the rail head so I've started removing it with track cleaning rubbers.......Mine were old & nearly worn out....They are now so new ones required......

Had an old Peco one which was rock hard & didn't touch the paint......The others were softer & removed the paint without seemingly damaging the railhead.....

IMG_5040.jpg.ec98f4ff73e796443c8fa4bfbce69c99.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg.7016d5ec2f066bfca9151fe4adfc34b9.jpgI've also altered the duck under at the doorway to a lift up flap which will make entering & exiting much easier.......

Our dog loves 'helping' when I'm in the railway room & thinks it's a great game to lie in the doorway & lick you in the face as you try & go out or in under the corner board....Not any more......

IMG_5036.jpg.d44c2b992332525d4f8605c9d1b9b94c.jpg

Finally I bought some Dapol working signals.....I have always previously made my own but these are very nice & will save a lot of time.....Unfortunately at the moment Western bracket signals are only availably in square post style rather than tubular which I think would be the case fr any remaining semaphore signals but if they become available in the future the can easily be changed....

I'm not sure I've signalled the layout correctly but it'll do for now......

Well that's all for now....

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
Predictive text
  • Like 8

35 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

At the west end where the track goes to single line, should there be a trap point?

Hi Gordon A

Yes I think there should be......

I made a working one to put there but due to the curvature I couldn't get it to fit properly to follow the curvature of the track.....

Also I did wonder if you get curved trap points......Especially as it's quite a sharp curve.....

Plan 'B' is to fit a dummy one just to make it look right......

Thanks for your comment........Allinput to get it right is welcome.....

Cheers Bill

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2023 at 19:33, treggyman said:

IMG_4998.jpg.90777927e048a2a333900186dc63e0a2.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg.5fb13754d27351f2bc51a41645a63eaf.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg.95bccbc4f855c12b438854dcd374e40d.jpg

IMG_5006.jpg.918b7aca596ff8b13ebe1019b88e9277.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg.8ec2c66500140fd9ac00861b4f10259b.jpg

I like to keep up with the times & bought 3 JGA's to bolster my fleet as replacements for the CDA's.......

They were resprayed from the grey version (as they were cheaper than the correct liveried ones )with the blue added to the end covers.......Then they were found to be no use !!!!! Typical....

Anyway they look nice to me & they can be shunted in & out of the spare stock siding....

IMG_5008.jpg.c3f63de8b8c4d43bbf261fc6a0b2d195.jpg

Looking very good so far - I'm keeping an eye on your progress!

The five JGAs are still parked in St Blazey yard and as you say were just getting shunted from siding to siding for a while, although they haven't moved for several months now. I believe just one was added to a rake of JIAs to see how it would work in practice, but sadly as you know it didn't. A shame really as the clays are now operated with just one type of wagon - and by the same Class 66 for two to three weeks - so they'd have been welcomed for a bit of variety (all those different 1980s clay wagons seem like a very long time ago now!)

No idea what the future holds for the JGAs at the moment.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Looking very good so far - I'm keeping an eye on your progress!

The five JGAs are still parked in St Blazey yard and as you say were just getting shunted from siding to siding for a while, although they haven't moved for several months now. I believe just one was added to a rake of JIAs to see how it would work in practice, but sadly as you know it didn't. A shame really as the clays are now operated with just one type of wagon - and by the same Class 66 for two to three weeks - so they'd have been welcomed for a bit of variety (all those different 1980s clay wagons seem like a very long time ago now!)

No idea what the future holds for the JGAs at the moment.....

HI Halvarras

Thanks for the above.....

Does that mean that Clay slurry & bagged clay are no longer transported by rail.....

Bagged & slurry used to go from Parkandillack/Treviscoe & bagged from Par docks as well as the powder form from both.

Cheers Bill

Hi

Further to Gordon A's post above I thought I'd draw up a sort of signal box diagram....

I have only included the signalling in the visible area & not a fully signalled diagram.

Tregreasignalboxdiagram.resized.jpg.ebbdd8f9dbd28b315501a466f23e7b8d.jpg

TG1  controls the main line & loco's running round via the down main....In reality this would probably be just a standard signal with a dummy for the run round.

TG2 is the down main starter .

TG3 is what I would  call the inner home protecting the access to the yard.

TG4 allows access from the up main to the down main via the crossover.

TG5 allows exit from the yard.....No catch point as there is a pointwhich would be controlled by the signal box that leads to the headshunt.

TG6 allows access to the yard from the up main.

TG7 is the up starter or maybe home signal.

TG8allows access from the down main to the up main via the crossover

TG9The main aspect is for the down main & the bracket is for access to the yard.In reality the bracket might be a dummy/ground signal & TG 8 might be combined with this signal on the same post.

I am not asignaller or by any means an expert on signalling so if anyone wishes to correct/redraw my design feel free.......

I realise for instance that the signals would not be numbered in this way ,TG1 for instance would be two numbers but I just did it like this for ease of this post.

Anyway hope it makes sense & any thoughts welcome...

Cheers Bill

I had a play this evening & the down main TG9 has stopped working & I have an issue with thw bracket on TG!.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, treggyman said:

HI Halvarras

Thanks for the above.....

Does that mean that Clay slurry & bagged clay are no longer transported by rail.....

Bagged & slurry used to go from Parkandillack/Treviscoe & bagged from Par docks as well as the powder form from both.

Cheers Bill

Bagged clay, I think you’d have to go back 10 years or more…there was sometimes a cargowaggon added to the stoke train but along time back and par docks has been the big powder wagons for years, no idea when anything else came out .

the whole scene is super dull compared to the 80s and fairly dull compared with the 90s !

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

the whole scene is super dull compared to the 80s and fairly dull compared with the 90s !

Thats why us oldies model times of yore!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Further to Gordon A's post above I thought I'd draw up a sort of signal box diagram....

I have only included the signalling in the visible area & not a fully signalled diagram.

Tregreasignalboxdiagram.resized.jpg.ebbdd8f9dbd28b315501a466f23e7b8d.jpg

TG1  controls the main line & loco's running round via the down main....In reality this would probably be just a standard signal with a dummy for the run round.

TG2 is the down main starter .

TG3 is what I would  call the inner home protecting the access to the yard.

TG4 allows access from the up main to the down main via the crossover.

TG5 allows exit from the yard.....No catch point as there is a pointwhich would be controlled by the signal box that leads to the headshunt.

TG6 allows access to the yard from the up main.

TG7 is the up starter or maybe home signal.

TG8allows access from the down main to the up main via the crossover

TG9The main aspect is for the down main & the bracket is for access to the yard.In reality the bracket might be a dummy/ground signal & TG 8 might be combined with this signal on the same post.

I am not asignaller or by any means an expert on signalling so if anyone wishes to correct/redraw my design feel free.......

I realise for instance that the signals would not be numbered in this way ,TG1 for instance would be two numbers but I just did it like this for ease of this post.

Anyway hope it makes sense & any thoughts welcome...

Cheers Bill

I had a play this evening & the down main TG9 has stopped working & I have an issue with thw bracket on TG!.

Hi Bill,

Shame the signals are already installed, it limits the changes that can be made (!). The reference numbers are helpful, it makes it clear which signals are being discussed.  And I take your point made earlier that this is all about enjoyment and having FUN.

You discussed the catch point earlier and you’ve added it in on this diagram.  I don’t think it is needed.  Single lines on the main line in Cornwall bring Largin viaduct to mind.  It didn’t have a catch point in the up direction, and in the down it had full sand drag run offs on both lines - that makes me think it was gradient and consequence related (a viaduct implies a bit of a drop if you overrun!).  They were provided at passing loops on single lines to permit simultaneous arrivals and that was to do with the block regulations.  By definition, trains are timed to pass at loops so there was a time advantage to such arrangements.  On single line sections on double lines, timing is usually to avoid clashes on the single line.  I think (but don’t know without more research of the Absolute Block regs) that you could still run up to TG2 with a train coming off the single line.  (And the FUN element says just do it anyway!)

On to the signals:

TG8 and TG9 may well be combined (it’s easier if they are).  These days the bracket on TG9 would be a disc signal, but back in the day, not necessarily (and ‘old’ signalling has a habit of hanging around for a long time).  So TG9 is fine, as is TG2, and you don’t need a separate TG8.

The fun comes with the running round etc, and that all depends on what moves you want to make and whether any or all trains make use of the siding shunters.
Up Goods (the only one) needs TG6 to set back into the sidings so that’s fine.

Down Arrivals - I’m assuming that some (or all) trains will run round before propelling back into the sidings.  If done on the down line (most likely in practice) you need TG4 to signal up to an imagined (offstage) LoS (Limit of Shunt) behind TG9.  There’s then the fun of getting the loco onto the back of the train and whether that needs a calling on arm or is just done with a flag (assume the latter).  Then the train needs to pull back behind TG9 and that will need another disc signal on the down line.

Alternatively (and less likely, but gives a reason for the bracket signal on TG1) is to run round on the up line. The bracket on TG9 then read to the up line and TG8 is needed to access the sidings direct.  A signal opposite TG2 on the up line is needed and I think there would still be a shunt signal on the down for reading back to the LoS for the loco running round.  It’s rather unusual for TG1 to have two main arms rather than a disc for the run round, but that’s what’s available and what you have.

Not sure how much I’m helping and how much is just muddying the waters.  Don't forget the fun!

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Paul

Thanks very much for your very useful & informative reply.......

It is just the sort of reply I had hoped for.....

As I'm having issues with the bracket signals they can easily be replaced as the beauty of the Dapol system is that the signals are in effect a bolt & nut as far as fitting to the layout goes & they are not ballasted in yet so easy to remove .The nice thing with the bracket signals is that you can see the arm move when the signal changes whereas I don't intend to make the ground signals working ones.

As stated previously they should also for the period modelled be round post.......Something to ponder!!!!!

As I haven't yet fitted it I shall not include a catch point as it is not necessary.

As far as goods workings the only traffic in the up direction is the returning fuel tanks from Long Rock.The loco would detach from these & pull forward to then reverse into the yard to collect any traffic from Tregrea  from one of the reception sidings marked B on the track plan  where the wagons would be waiting.Then draw forward on to the up line before reversing to rejoin the empty tanks before heading off Eastwards 

Tregreatrackplan.jpg.aadf3c09bb5aad11b0666e7acb50722f.jpg

I thought it might be an idea to include the track plan again to save scrolling back to the beginning each time one wanted to refer to it.

It is assumed that apart from the fuel tank train all other down goods trains terminate in the yard.

So they would run into the headhunt A & reverse their train into headhunt G before picking up their return train from the reception siding Before heading off back East.

Stone trains would again run in to headshunt A but the wagons would then be drawn off by a yard shunter before being put away in the loading siding C .The train loco would then collect it's waiting loaded wagons & return back East or if no available wagons ready then was in the loco stabling siding F while they were loaded before departing.

The fuel train would arrive on the down line.The loco would detach & pull forward before reversing back along the up line & over the crossover back on to the down line berfore pulling back past TG9 towards the off scene limit of shunt signal before reversing it's train either into headshunt A or reception siding B .As there would be no traffic to go West the loco would then pull onto the up line before running wrong line on the ups line past TG1 where it would then reverse bacon omits remaining tanks & head off West to Long Rock.

Hope the above ramblings make some sense......

What I need to do next will be to redraw the 'Signal Box' plan taking into consideration your notes & see what it looks like & make any necessary amendments.

Again thanks very much for you informed input.....Really appreciate it.

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello again Bill,

I hadn’t thought about dropping off vehicles from the tank train.  That makes life fun!

Nor had I thought about using the clay shunters for the stone traffic - different company and all that. The advantage of being General Manager of all three is that you can cause such cooperation to happen.

Thinking further about dropping off from the down tanks.  My gut feel is that the traffic for Tregrea would be marshalled at the front.  Then it’s a stop behind TG9, run forwards with the traffic, detach from loco with yard shunter (or set back and leave in headshunt G), then loco back onto front of train and away.  All done with just the one LoS (behind TG9) and route up to it from the sidings.  Running round on the main lines is a lot more fraught and difficult to signal.

A further thought about the siding layout which gives another alternative for stone and down tanks is an extra crossover loco length clear of the buffers between Headshunt A and Reception B.  That gives more run round space so the stone arrivals could be run round by the train loco and shunted into siding C.  And then the tanks could run into the yard (with the Tregrea traffic at the back), run round and shunt off the traffic, run back onto the front, propel out behind TG9 and away. All the messy stuff goes on in the yard and the main line is left clear.

Paul.

P.S. Thank you for the mental exercises and armchair modelling opportunities you have provided.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Hello again Bill,

I hadn’t thought about dropping off vehicles from the tank train.  That makes life fun!

Nor had I thought about using the clay shunters for the stone traffic - different company and all that. The advantage of being General Manager of all three is that you can cause such cooperation to happen.

Thinking further about dropping off from the down tanks.  My gut feel is that the traffic for Tregrea would be marshalled at the front.  Then it’s a stop behind TG9, run forwards with the traffic, detach from loco with yard shunter (or set back and leave in headshunt G), then loco back onto front of train and away.  All done with just the one LoS (behind TG9) and route up to it from the sidings.  Running round on the main lines is a lot more fraught and difficult to signal.

A further thought about the siding layout which gives another alternative for stone and down tanks is an extra crossover loco length clear of the buffers between Headshunt A and Reception B.  That gives more run round space so the stone arrivals could be run round by the train loco and shunted into siding C.  And then the tanks could run into the yard (with the Tregrea traffic at the back), run round and shunt off the traffic, run back onto the front, propel out behind TG9 and away. All the messy stuff goes on in the yard and the main line is left clear.

Paul.

P.S. Thank you for the mental exercises and armchair modelling opportunities you have provided.

Hi Paul

You're welcome for the mental exercises provided....Glad to be of service.....

Half the fun/appeal to me of the hobby is armchair modelling......

The addition of the crossover that you suggest is certainly a good idea & would certainly mean that as the train engine could do the shunting of the train then there would be no need for cross company cooperation.......& I get that it would be beneficial to keep the mainline clear.....

I can also see the sense in how you suggest the oil train is shunted....Again keeping the mainline clear makes sense....

At present I tend to use an EWS shunter (Hornby 09) in the yard which is fine for the clay as they operate the mainline trains anyway but probably would not shunt the freight liner operated stone trains.

I do have other Imerys type shunters but at  present they do not run well enough for my satisfaction.....A shunting layout relies on reliable smooth running loco's.The Hornby 0 4 0 Sentinel runs well but I can't get enough weight in it to pull long enough trains without is slipping....My Oxford & EFE shunters just keep stopping which is probably a pick-up problem that I've not yet got sorted.

If I could get them running to my satisfaction then that would solve the problem of cross company cooperation as all the product produced would be from imerys so their shunter would be fine shunting all the stock.

Thanks for adding your thoughts as it is another perspective that I had not thought of......

Cheers for now

Bill

ps.   Went up for a bit of a play earlier......Both the bracket signals were working fine.....BUT.....All three of the single post stop signals lights wouldn't light up.....The arms worked fine as they should.......'Tish I said to myself.....

Cheers again

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I've made a bit of progress.......

Done no more on the signalling front apart from make up 8 Ratio ground signals & paint them....

They await fitting in due course once I redraw the signalling diagram......

I have however been fitting the concrete hardstanding in the loading area & this is just about done....I've also made a start on ballasting the yard.......

In the past I've always made the concrete hardstanding out of Polyfilla.

It probably gives the best final result but is messy, difficult to get flat, liable to chip & crack & it's a pain to get the grooves for the wheels to run in dug out & looking right......

So this time I've used a combination of 1 & 2mm white card.....The stuff used in picture framing....

I found that a strip of 2mm brings the height to above the chairs & a strip of 1mm covers the chairs &brings the height to just below rail head top height.....Necessary for rail cleaning......

It's certainly a lot quicker & far less messy.

I used neat PVA glue to stick it down to the cork or plywood base & in front of the Linhay between the rails which was just a strip of 2mm card.In the fuel loading area I used Superphatic to glue it to the sleepers....It seems to have stuck down fine so far with just a bit of trimming down to lower the level where the card ended up higher than the rail head.

IMG_5046Resized.jpg.5e855a0d7ce3fde7b4fc4ed063de133b.jpg

In order to get more light on the layout whilst I'm working on it I've fitted the light pelmet to the back of the layout ....

It throws shadows the wrong way but I no longer need to continually be wearing my head torch.

IMG_5048Resizes.jpg.3cb5c768784d9ce4bb65c642c7ef09af.jpg

Don't quite know what's happened to the pics when I resized them but hopefully you get the idea....

Next more ballasting & keep running stuff (playing ) to make sure all still works as it should....

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hi

A bit of progress......

Done most of the ballasting in the Clay Works yard & finalised where the buildings will go....

Not fixed them down yet though......

I have started fitting the cable trunking&I was going to do a bit more ballasting on the main line when it crossed my mind that to do so I really ought to finalise the signalling & fix in place the ground signals.....

So last night I reread Paul's (5BarVT ) very informative post & redid the Signal Box plan....Hopefully it's OK....

Here it is....

Tregreasignalboxdiagram.jpg.fb993912440cd26691d34d47fe690a0e.jpg

TG1 is Up main & access to the down main for running round rejoining train etc.

TG2 protects the point in front of it

I've removed the catch point as it was not deemed necessary

TG3 protects the point controlling access to the yard

I've moved TG4 past the point as it now allows access to the crossover from both the main line & the yard.

TG5 allows a train or loco to exit the yard & depending on TG4 either use the crossover or join the up main line.My thought is that the adjacent point in effect becomes a trap point & would be controlled by the 'Box.

TG6 protects the crossover point & comes into use if a loco is running round or reversing having attached itself to wagons prior to propelling into the yard.

Similarly TG7 allows access to the yard if an up freight needs to reverse into the yard.

TG8 reads L to R....Down main , access to the up main for running round etc , Yard.

TG9 is the up starter.

So now it is time to fit the rest of the cable trunking & add the ground signals/dummies.

Hope the above makes sense.....

Any comments welcome.......It would be nice to get it as right as possible.....

Cheers Bill

PS  I've only included the signalling that is visible on the layout......

Any distant / home / calling on signals etc  that should be on a full plan are implied to be in position on a full        

plan.

Cheers Again

Edited by treggyman
To add PS
  • Like 1