GWR 4mm RTR tenders

I'm thinking of doing a gwr.org.uk page for '4mm RTR tenders'. Just a snapshot illustrated guide (brief description, picture, date introduced). I'll probably need your help with pictures, particularly for the older specimens.

Here's my working list. What have I missed?

Oxford Dean 2500g
Hornby Dean 3000g (were there variations?)
Bachmann Dean 3000g 
Hornby Churchward 3500g (variations)
Dapol Churchward 3500g (variations)
Accurascale Churchward 3500g (variations)
Hornby Collett 4000g (variations, I think?)
Heljan Collett 4000g
Lima Collett 4000g
Wrenn Collett 4000g
Hornby Collett 3500g
Bachmann ROD 4000g
Bachmann Hawksworth 4000g
Hornby Hawksworth 4000g

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Airfix had a Collett 4000 with their Castle (so different to, say, Hornby's early king?) and a Hawksworth behind the County. Mainline had a 3500 tender behind the mogul and collett goods 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

I have no current intention to do a separate page for kits. This exercise is strictly RTR. Kit fans are savvy enough to look after themselves.

10 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Airfix had a Collett 4000 with their Castle (so different to, say, Hornby's early king?) and a Hawksworth behind the County. Mainline had a 3500 tender behind the mogul and collett goods 

The Mainline Churchward 3500g was taken over by Bachmann, and is still going strong AFAIK.

Airfix never did a County AFAIK.

The Airfix Collett 4000g is an interesting case. I'm unclear what happened to those tools (did Hornby have them?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

The Airfix Collett 4000g is an interesting case. I'm unclear what happened to those tools (did Hornby have them?).

The Dapol County was one of the ones planned by Airfix but never released by them. When Dapol reissued the Castle it also had the Hawksworth tender behind it.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/79056/dapol_d5dapol_castle_class_4_6_0_dorchester_castle_4090_in_br_lined_green/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1281/dapol_oo_4_6_0_class_10xx_county_gwr

The Airfix Castle tender was last available behind the Hornby Hogwarts Castle. Which is confusingly a Castle masquerading as a Hall which is meant to be a Castle!

Revamped a bit. It does have sprung buffers.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/20716/hornby_r2662_castle_class_4_6_0_hogwarts_castle_5972_in_red_from_harry_potter_the_order_of/stockdetail

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have no current intention to do a separate page for kits. This exercise is strictly RTR. Kit fans are savvy enough to look after themselves.

The Mainline Churchward 3500g was taken over by Bachmann, and is still going strong AFAIK.

Hornby definitely did the ex airfix castle alongside their own at one point.

They've done their own castle and two different Kings but I don't know how many different tenders between them!

I can't remember where the county came from now but it wasn't Hornby originally 

Edit: was writing at the same time as the previous post which answers this

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

Thanks Jason. The Dapol County and Castle are new to me.  Did they use the same tender? If so, one of them will be wrong!

Yes. Same tender. Never measured one to see which one is wrong. I would assume the County is wrong as it does have some significant errors as they just adapted the Castle tooling.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here's the old tender on this King (or is it a Queen with those awful skirts?).

Same tender as the Hall which had it's origins in the old Triang Albert Hall. I've got one of these and Kneller Hall and they do have the same tender, although the King has tender drive.. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/76403/hornby_king_class_4_6_0_king_edward_i_6024_in_gwr_green/stockdetail

Soon retooled without the skirts.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/3133/hornby_oo_4_6_0_class_60xx_king_gwr

For completeness there was also a Graham Farish King with 4000 gallon tender.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/639582/graham_farish_king_class_4_6_0_6000_king_charles_in_gwr_green/stockdetail

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm not sure I want to spend much time looking at those old things!  (But thanks, I had completely forgotten about the Farish thing.)

I am not sure what value this list will add when you are so uncertain about the subject.

For instance, current Hornby production includes two varieties of Hawksworth 4,000 gallon tenders, and two different Collett ones too. As for 3,500 gallon ones… they offer different models on the Hall, 28xx, and Churchward County. This is unlikely to be an exhaustive list.

Heljan also produced a Collett 4,000 gallon model for its 47xx. Very (top) heavy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, exet1095 said:

I am not sure what value this list will add when you are so uncertain about the subject.

For instance, current Hornby production includes two varieties of Hawksworth 4,000 gallon tenders, and two different Collett ones too. As for 3,500 gallon ones… they offer different models on the Hall, 28xx, and Churchward County. This is unlikely to be an exhaustive list.

Heljan also produced a Collett 4,000 gallon model for its 47xx. Very (top) heavy.

All mentioned above as variations.

Heljan tender is on the list.

Would help if people read OPs.

Jason

• Agree 2

That's a valid point, Richard, and tenders have for too long been the poor relation to locomotives when it comes to models. (When was the last magazine review that addressed tender fidelity?)

Model accuracy is however somewhat beyond the scope of the present exercise, whose current prime purpose will be for visual recognition purposes, but if I do dabble in some subjective judgements, these will be of a brief style as seen on, e.g., the locomotive listing.

I think most people who visit the listing pages will have basic questions such as "I'm looking for a tender for my locomotive x".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wenrash said:

How many on this list, comply accurately with the GWR drawings?

Maybe some indication of this feature would help.

Richard A

One  of those where you are looking at published information, Brassmaster instructions, Irwell books (and others), engine cards, etc. 

Loads of information here if you look at the instructions on the tenders.

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/gwr_kits.htm

Hawksworth tender for example. Never knew they had square buffers....

https://www.brassmasters.co.uk/Downloads/Hawksworth Tender 2014.pdf

Jason

Sorry for the accuracy rant. Here is my current bitch.

I have a Hornby "King" R3331 "King James I". This is a fairly recent model. I was astounded with the tender. Hornby have modeled the 4000gal tender with double fillers correctly as per the engineering  GA drawing and photograph in "Russell".

This makes it one of the first batch A113 20 off.

Except the underframe they have provided has the 45 degree sloped frame, not the 12 degree frame of which the A113's had.

So they complete tender is something that never happened.

Why do Hornby still do this type of thing. A quick look at Bill Peto's book on the Kings also shows that the A113 tenders on stayed with the Kings for quite a short time.

It would have been better to attach the Collet tender from the Castles.

Jason I have found the references you list as being very helpful indeed.

Richard A

• Informative/Useful 1