Dalmunach (ex Cromdale Goods)

1 hour ago, TechnicArrow said:

That greenery is superb - it really has brought the place to life! The treeline masks the low-relief station incredibly well, definitely something I will have to try for Watchford.

Can I ask where you got the sea foam, and any other tips for making trees? I've never made any before, but I think it's hight time I do!

Thanks! I bought the seafoam from Gaugemaster but my experience with other retailers is that it's all the same stuff really. A box certainly goes a long way, I used about 1/3 the box for all the trees on Dalmunach and plenty of smaller ones for shrubs. The WWS tree spray is fantastic and makes the process super smooth and fast even if it is a bit more expensive than a can of hairspray which some others use. I'd say just go for it and experiment, WWS do some good YouTube videos I've used for reference in the past.

That looks really good Luke.

I very much like the trees.

(My tip to improve it, would be to make the grass a bit patchier. So for example instead of two big clumps in the forground also add a few smaller ones, as weeds and grass are often a bit random in the way they grow)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

That looks really good Luke.

I very much like the trees.

(My tip to improve it, would be to make the grass a bit patchier. So for example instead of two big clumps in the forground also add a few smaller ones, as weeds and grass are often a bit random in the way they grow)

I agree! I'm planning on picking up some static grass tufts at York and getting some of the scatter out too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a pretty full on week back after Easter some modelling time was definitely required, so a Saturday running session was in order. I'm currently working on a small class 20 project, weathering and converting my current 20s to suit a more Speyside-ish condition. So far D8101 has only had a weathering treatment but may get renumbered at some point. My other 20 will be going into D8032 in 1966 condition as photographed by John Boyes, once a new body arrives from Bachmann spares. 

Anyways, here's D8101 shunting the yard at Dalmunach before heading down the branch with a very short pick up goods. 

IMG_20240420_114123031_MFNR.jpg.9014fc1ce652d05d561cafd7d1f19815.jpg

IMG_20240420_114755947_HDR.jpg.97d07379dc8048ecb6583c0aafb248e9.jpg

• Like 15

Those shots are fantastic - the sense of space and depth in your scene is great! The half-relief station, and especially the trees along the backscene, all work really well.

The 20 is looking right at home, with plenty of space to run without being cramped. Top work!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely shots Luke. 

Am I the only person who misread one of the vans as ‘The Maltesers Association of Great Britain’ ? Now that’s an association I’d join in a shot!

Great work, enjoying your progress. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, 1722 said:

‘The Maltesers Association of Great Britain’ ? Now that’s an association I’d join in a shot!

I managed to do it with the latest post, despite realising my error after the previous one!

• Funny 1

Hi Luke.

I’m new to this site and this is my first post,hopefully one of many.I’m planning to build a similar,if slightly larger version of a station on the Speyside Line,early 60s just before closure to passengers ,so this topic really caught my eye.I have already collected a few books on the line and may visit the area at some point.

Apart from saying what a wonderful layout this is turning out to be,I wanted to ask whether  the brown and cream paintwork on buildings is similar to Western Region colours of the same period or are the colours different? Pictures seem to be superficially similar but I’d like to get it right.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your progress.

53 minutes ago, Salop Lad said:

Hi Luke.

I’m new to this site and this is my first post,hopefully one of many.I’m planning to build a similar,if slightly larger version of a station on the Speyside Line,early 60s just before closure to passengers ,so this topic really caught my eye.I have already collected a few books on the line and may visit the area at some point.

Apart from saying what a wonderful layout this is turning out to be,I wanted to ask whether  the brown and cream paintwork on buildings is similar to Western Region colours of the same period or are the colours different? Pictures seem to be superficially similar but I’d like to get it right.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your progress.

Thank you. I'm not an expert at all when it comes to Western Region but looking at photos I'd suggest that the GNSR colour scheme used on the Speyside line is a slightly more muted and undersaturated. I think the warm white lighting on the layout makes my buildings look on the more yellow side of cream in photos when in reality they're slightly tinted off white. For all the buildings the brown is Vallejo flat earth and the white is Vallejo off white with a tiny amount of Vallejo light sand mixed in. I found this closely matched the contrasting look of the Speyside buildings especially at Ballindalloch, Carron and Knockando, see below. 

knockando2.jpg.19cd75cc123d0e16d6d3af30b907032b.jpg

However, some of the buildings at Craigellachie have a much warmer hue much similar to the Western Region colours. I imagine that frequency of repainting and small tonal differences between paint tins means that as long as it is close enough it is probably accurate. 

29_06.1966_Craigellachie_D8032.jpg.a89bfd197928dd2762ab9b7c4f63a405.jpg

I think the levels of light taken at the different stations probably don't help either but worth knowing that there was variety along the line. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Salop Lad, good luck with your idea. There’s a most useful site for station colours, pregroup onwards to nationalisation. 

https://www.stationcolours.info/18-2/

if you click on “railways”, then click on “ Caledonian”, then scroll down, you’ll get to GNSR, including samples of the BR Scottish Region colours youre after.

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Luke for your reply.I guess paint jobs vary within areas quite considerably depending on the individual mixing the paint at the time.I only wondered as I have got some chocolate and cream paint left over from a previous layout so thought I could save a few quid.

I will make a note of the Vallejo paints.

• Like 1