BNFL Sellafield shunting loco’s

TravisM

4 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

Has the move to Warcop  occurred yet please?

Havn't heard anything yet. EVR were finding out what dates the transport firm were available, I was going to be there but I broke my ankle in two places and will be in plaster for 6 weeks!

I'll keep you all posted

Kev

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...

News

Loco 2 is being collected by Reids tomorrow for transit to Warcop. All the paperwork is complete and all the spares are loaded into stillages ready

Sadly I won't be there. Still got my leg in plaster after breaking my ankle in two places, so tramping around sidings in Cumbria isn't practical. 

But will get there as soon as possible

Kev

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, kevsmiththai said:

News

Loco 2 is being collected by Reids tomorrow for transit to Warcop. All the paperwork is complete and all the spares are loaded into stillages ready

Sadly I won't be there. Still got my leg in plaster after breaking my ankle in two places, so tramping around sidings in Cumbria isn't practical. 

But will get there as soon as possible

Kev

Thanks for the update Kev

Chris

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

Safely at Warcop, 

Think I might be busy this spring 

Picture courtesy of Sellafield LTD.

031.jpg

Are you going to remove all that air brake interlock gear? I remember being at barrow Hill and looking at that stuff when being fitted 

What do site rail use nowadays? 

Hiya Russ.  Long time no see

Yes. A lot of the Sellafield safety mechs will come off. Site Rail have bought two Clayton Battery Bo-Bos and have a four wheeler on order to work into SEP

long term, two of the three remaining Hunslet four wheelers ( No.s 1 and 3) will be released from service and made avaiable fo preservation.They will retain Loco 4 as it had a huge amount of money spent on it a while back

I did treat myself to a Judith Edge 00 kit for a TH Vanguard at Manchester XMAS show in December to shunt my Nuclear wagon fleet

Kev

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

Hiya Russ.  Long time no see

Yes. A lot of the Sellafield safety mechs will come off. Site Rail have bought two Clayton Battery Bo-Bos and have a four wheeler on order to work into SEP

long term, two of the three remaining Hunslet four wheelers ( No.s 1 and 3) will be released from service and made avaiable fo preservation.They will retain Loco 4 as it had a huge amount of money spent on it a while back

I did treat myself to a Judith Edge 00 kit for a TH Vanguard at Manchester XMAS show in December to shunt my Nuclear wagon fleet

Kev

Hiya Kev

I wondered if this was you mate

I don't have any work stuff on my layout,  would possibly have one of the original 50s/60s flatrols if an RTR model ever became available.  I did look at building a railhead but I've not really got room now 

Cheers 

Russ

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2023 at 10:45, kevsmiththai said:

By Co-incidence

Rail Magazine has a six page article about the Sellafield rail system and locos in this weeks issue. Lots of on-site photos and the Claytons

Kev

Do you know what issue number it is as I'm trying to find a copy to use as reference.  I emailed Rail and to date, not had a reply.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, TravisM said:

Do you know what issue number it is as I'm trying to find a copy to use as reference.  I emailed Rail and to date, not had a reply.

Dec27-Jan 9 issue 999

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2024 at 20:03, kevsmiththai said:

One happy grandson ( in his Christmas present, An orange Hi-vis) finally gets to see loco 2

Thomas Hill loco 2 at Warcop 16.03.2024.jpg

Does anyone know if this loco is still available as a Judith Edge kit?  Looked on DC Kits website and it showed out of stock (as were most of her kits).  Does anyone else stock them?

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/03/2024 at 20:03, kevsmiththai said:

One happy grandson ( in his Christmas present, An orange Hi-vis) finally gets to see loco 2

Thomas Hill loco 2 at Warcop 16.03.2024.jpg

Do you know the works number and year of this one? Was it an actual Thomas Hill build or did they rebuild it from a Rolls Royce/Sentinel? The profile of the engine casing looks to be Sentinel but the cab looks typical TH, albeit much taller than usual.

30 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Do you know the works number and year of this one? Was it an actual Thomas Hill build or did they rebuild it from a Rolls Royce/Sentinel? 

Its Sentinel 10111 of 1963, rebuilt by Hunslet Barclay in 1997.

• Thanks 1