RMweb

MTK Class 505 EMU

Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Question to anyone here who remembers or even travelled in these units:  did the first class compartments have arm rests and were there four seats per side?

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Question to anyone here who remembers or even travelled in these units:  did the first class compartments have arm rests and were there four seats per side?

Cheers

Darius

Try this….

https://www.altrinchamheritage.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Souvenir-May-11th-1931-Manchester-Altrincham-Electric-Train-Service.pdf

77AA1164-53A3-4A50-A002-7B49B1E28187.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Driving motor coach interior constructed using plasticard and Peco/Ratio compartment coach seating.

IMG_1633.jpeg.40450c438ee8ecb60bec0efeed4f2d79.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpeg.eae4ae5e91b34044e3d207862a543ef3.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg.b176a5d1e804b804597799cb62f8fe8f.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg.9cc977dbee3a70c61e41a2bd4a38fa8f.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg.1d7d14e8ba84b37f4f2b92e94c98b563.jpeg

The compartment wall positions had to be individually marked as the punched window openings in the MTK coach body don’t line up on either side - there’s about a 1mm stagger.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

That’s fantastic!!!  Many thanks 97406 😀

Cheers

Darius

No problem. It makes me want to progress my Class 304 which is a long term project based on Replica suburbans.

I found this from Martyn Hilbert on Flickr, might be useful:

Class 505 (MSJ&A) EMU Trailer Coach 121 (M29670M) - Embsay.

And from John Turner on Flickr, a 304 at Oxford Road during the time it was the 1500V:25kV frontier, the 505s only ran into the bay at this stage:

c.1970 - Manchester (Oxford Road).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 97406 said:

Wow what an interesting booklet, not only the railway stuff but the adverts etc.

There is an advert for the semi detached house, £495. I have just looked on Right Move and found a similar looking property that I believe to be on the estate as in the advert a couple of bob short of £600,000.

Sorry for the thread shift.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wow what an interesting booklet, not only the railway stuff but the adverts etc.

There is an advert for the semi detached house, £495. I have just looked on Right Move and found a similar looking property that I believe to be on the estate as in the advert a couple of bob short of £600,000.

Sorry for the thread shift.

My folks paid in the region of £2500 for their semi near Navi Road station in 1966! Anyhow back to the EMU.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Driving motor coach interior constructed using plasticard and Peco/Ratio compartment coach seating.

IMG_1633.jpeg.40450c438ee8ecb60bec0efeed4f2d79.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpeg.eae4ae5e91b34044e3d207862a543ef3.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg.b176a5d1e804b804597799cb62f8fe8f.jpeg

IMG_1636.jpeg.9cc977dbee3a70c61e41a2bd4a38fa8f.jpeg

IMG_1637.jpeg.1d7d14e8ba84b37f4f2b92e94c98b563.jpeg

The compartment wall positions had to be individually marked as the punched window openings in the MTK coach body don’t line up on either side - there’s about a 1mm stagger.

Cheers

Darius

Colin M would probably have regarded 1mm as 'within tolerance'! This is coming along really nicely.

Oddly enough I've had some of those Ratio seat strips in stock since the 1970s - original reason for purchase lost in the mists of time, but I finally found a use for some bits of it just last week!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure what they are to be used for but I often lop off the head rest for SOME uses.

Transfers work well, bit like the PECO cardboard coach insides.

• RMweb Premium

After looking at the above pictures of the real ones, you can see they are an LMS design, Period 2 it seems.

Very characterful

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, MJI said:

I am not sure what they are to be used for but I often lop off the head rest for SOME uses.

The interior photos helpfully posted by 97406 show that the headrests are definitely present in the Class 505.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

The interior photos helpfully posted by 97406 show that the headrests are definitely present in the Class 505.

Cheers

Darius

Which is good but most of the comets i have built don't.

• RMweb Gold

Driving Trailer construction commenced.  Doors scribed and white metal ends fixed to body.

IMG_1658.jpeg.ffa6d76fafdd6bc22bb91e5475062118.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg.12e697950a082cc11716693945082a1a.jpeg

IMG_1660.jpeg.fd62b9afd9ba1a09e8b76faf7ba49737.jpeg

The Driving Trailer cab front doesn’t have the roof access steps so these were removed and the front cleaned up.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 10

A very impressive piece of work, from some unpromising materials . At least there won't be many others around and you should be pretty safe from any RTR model , even in the current climate. 

(Oddly enough I have heard of one other model of these recently , via another route - chopped up ex Airfix/Dapol LMS non-corridors. You seem to have got there faster)

Scratchbuilding the roof ofd Manchester Oxford Road may be a bit of a challenge...

• RMweb Gold

Whilst scribing the doors to the Driving Trailer coach, I noticed something potentially awry.  

A luggage space had been allowed for immediately behind the driving cab with double door access on each side of the coach.

IMG_1662.jpeg.ef067b72511f3297b9105f2fe64b6863.jpeg

The windows to the coach body are punched out for this interior configuration.

Problem is that all the photos of the Driving Trailer that I have seen do not show this luggage compartment - just a passenger compartment immediately behind the cab.

Is this luggage compartment a figure of CM’s imagination or did the actual Driving Trailer have such a compartment?

The question is somewhat moot as correction is not really an option and so the model will have the luggage compartment come what may.

Edit. Mystery solved.  CM has used the same body shells (and cab fronts for that matter) as for the LMS GEC Watford EMU kit that he produced.  The GEC Watford unit did have the luggage compartment in the Driving Trailer.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 4

There was some variation in the 505 fleet. Some sets were extended to 4 cars with an extra trailer third. Then some other vehicles were damaged beyond repair in WWII and accidents, and the 4th cars were modified to take their place. These conversions were somewhat different to the originals. I can look up the details if it would help. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

There was some variation in the 505 fleet. Some sets were extended to 4 cars with an extra trailer third. Then some other vehicles were damaged beyond repair in WWII and accidents, and the 4th cars were modified to take their place. These conversions were somewhat different to the originals. I can look up the details if it would help. 

Thanks for the offer but no need.  My experience of MTK is that generic parts were shared between various kits irrespective of accuracy.  I have the GEC Watford EMU kit and the body shells are identical.

Now pondering a plasticard modification…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2