ABS-like water wash resin

• RMweb Gold

This is not a complaint, more of an observation to help others who are considering trying the same product

For a while now I’ve used Anycubic Water Wash Resin for my prints and I’ve had great results, my concern was that the prints were too brittle

So when I saw Anycubic now do an ABS-like water wash resin I thought I would give it a try

While it is true that parts are no long brittle the problem is that they are now far too flexible even after curing

This was after curing for twice as long as I would with the standard water wash resin

IMG_9730.jpeg.cbf37bf033f20de364dfa24b13d5623f.jpeg

Also after curing and left overnight

Left (standard water wash)

Right (ABS-like water wash)

IMG_9732.jpeg.de9cd510d97dc0ca8a61ead615cb3e2e.jpeg

Other issues

The parts were very difficult to remove from the build plate so much so I sliced my thumb on the scraper

I also found that fine details are less sharp

I don’t think this has been miss-sold, I think I may have misinterpreted “tough and durable”

IMG_9712.jpeg.d108c6335d8d4adf9ee4710683c97705.jpeg

Perhaps it’s more suited to solid models or large parts with much thicker walls?

Just my opinion but I’ll be sticking with the standard Anycubic water wash resin for now

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JimFin said:

Have you considered blending them say 80% 20%? I use Anycubic Eco 80% and 20% Siraya Tenaciuos to overcome the brittle factor.

Honestly I’d not thought about that!

I’ve since bought another bottle of the standard water washable stuff but I do have a little left so I will mix that with the cr@p stuff at the ratio suggested and see what happens (he who dares wins Rodney)

I only use the water washable stuff now as previously once I ran out of isopropyl I couldn’t do anything until I got some more…..its much more convenient having water ‘on tap’ as it were 😂

7 hours ago, KimDurose said:

I’ve got two bottles of “ABS-like” resin that came with my Elegoo Saturn 2 Pro.

I’ve come to the conclusion it stands for “Absolute Bull S…”

Horrible stuff. Too rubbery and distorts during printing and washout.

Rubbery is definitely how I’d describe it although sh*t is also an acceptable description.

I thought it was due to it being the water washable type though

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, KimDurose said:

I’ve got two bottles of “ABS-like” resin that came with my Elegoo Saturn 2 Pro.

I’ve come to the conclusion it stands for “Absolute Bull S…”

Horrible stuff. Too rubbery and distorts during printing and washout.

Alternatively I use Sunlu ABS like resin (not water washable) exclusively and when cured properly it's just fine, not 'rubbery' in the slightest. I do pay a lot of attention to support placement, tip point size, density etc. and, unlike others, I only remove my supports when cured and have not had any problems with distortion. I find standard resin much too brittle. 

Edited by PhilH
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Alternatively I use Sunlu ABS like resin (not water washable) exclusively and when cured properly it's just fine, not 'rubbery' in the slightest. I do pay a lot of attention to support placement and density and, unlike others, I only remove my supports when cured. I find standard resin much too brittle. 

Sunlu appear to do a water washable version but I don’t really want to waste another £27 on something that might not work and be stuck with a litre of resin I can’t do anything with

I am a huge fan of Elegoo's ABS-like resin (not the water washable one, I haven't tried that)

Unlike standard resin I can drop bits on the concrete floor of my shed (which I regularly do when slicing them off of the buildplate!) and have never had a breakage, unlike the standard resin I used to use.

It prints the finest, thinnest details ( like the palm  leaves etc on this print)  and they have enough flex to not snap off if I knock them. 

PXL_20230924_020613838.jpg.0be120c25e25948357912aa7193fb655.jpg

I have bought some ABS Sunlu to try because it was on special but I haven't got around to it yet.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @chuffinghell, when I was trying Elegoo abs-like (v2, IPA washable) @beejack suggested I try an 8s exposure for normal layers and 60s for base layers. I thought these would be far too high as they are a long way from the Elegoo suggested values, but I went ahead and printed lots of test pieces at exposures up to these figures and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I was still getting all the detail, but the prints were much more rigid and not brittle. I am now settled on this resin and use 8s normal / 20s base, getting consistently good results.

ps: I use a flexiplate which makes removing prints a breeze.

Edited by GWR57xx
ps
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I wanted a little flexibility but not this much

Not exactly what you want in a wagon chassis

IMG_9731.jpeg.47741ded4256ab52af6bb43544b8f3f2.jpeg

I’m probably doing something wrong

That’s a pity but could be used in a cameo. Dumped off the side of a line or a siding could be just rusty or being cut up by the orange gang. I am following with interest as I have just got my first resin printer.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWR57xx said:

Hi @chuffinghell, when I was trying Elegoo abs-like (v2, IPA washable) @beejack suggested I try an 8s exposure for normal layers and 60s for base layers. I thought these would be far too high as they are a long way from the Elegoo suggested values, but I went ahead and printed lots of test pieces at exposures up to these figures and was pleasantly surprised by the results. I was still getting all the detail, but the prints were much more rigid and not brittle. I am now settled on this resin and use 8s normal / 20s base, getting consistently good results.

ps: I use a flexiplate which makes removing prints a breeze.

With the standard Anycubic water wash resin I print at 2 seconds/layer at 0.03mm layer height (or 2.5s @ 0.05mm) 30 second base layers

So 8 seconds seems like a massive increase but then exposure times are based on the printer as well as the resin

As far as plate adhesion I think it’s just the exposure of the base layers need reducing quite a bit

I have a Elegoo Saturn 8K but will be going back to Anycubic as soon as I can because I really dislike the two point levelling on Elegoo printers*

*although the Saturn 3 ultra has the proper four point levelling and also looks cool in black

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

That’s a pity but could be used in a cameo. Dumped off the side of a line or a siding could be just rusty or being cut up by the orange gang. I am following with interest as I have just got my first resin printer.

Keith

Not a bad idea

This particular wagon would be out of place on my layout though, it’s was drawn/designed for someone else modelling a later time period than myself

IMG_9691.jpeg.ce8ca513e269aa8d849f6ef76deea51e.jpeg

These were introduced towards the end of the thirties to transport crated aircraft propellers so not really suited to an early-mid 1930’s layout……unfortunately

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Keith

3D printing is 50% knowledge, 30% luck, 20% dark magic and 20% maths

Chris

Cheers Chris sounds about right. At least I have already gone through the same with my FDM printer and survived.  Still a lot of prep work to do. The machine is going in the garage! I know already working on an enclosure and heater. My FDM print sits in the same place and I have operated that at a temp of 5 degrees but I know that will not work for resin.

Keith

• Like 1