Semaphore signals

I am creating a layout heavily based on the north wales coast line around the 1980s and have started on Rhyl station however I would like to incorporate semaphore signals (even though not true to time) and don’t know how to lay them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Image attached is the station at current.

IMG_1970.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dylan125 said:

I am creating a layout heavily based on the north wales coast line around the 1980s and have started on Rhyl station however I would like to incorporate semaphore signals (even though not true to time) and don’t know how to lay them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Image attached is the station at current.

IMG_1970.jpeg

You need one red stop signal in the direction of travel beyond the end of each platform but before the lines begin to converge and one red stop signal on each of the through lines in the direction of travel before the outer lines begin to converge.

These could all be on their own signal post or on some kind of overhead gantry if that floats your boat.

Edited by SZ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

That looks like a recent colour light layout though, not semaphore.

Wasn't there a drawing of a gantry at Rhyl in a very early MRJ?  Perhaps there was a plan of the semaphore layout with that?

I  believe Rhyl has been resignalled as a bidirectional route since that box diagram was photogrpahed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Semaphores are absolutely correct for Rhyl in the 1980s. There are a lot of images on Flickr that can help, Dave Sallery and Kevin Lane are good places to start. For example:

47530, Rhyl, 08-01-1987 47333, Rhyl, 06-10-1987 Rhyl 31132 Rhyl 25-08-1990 47375 + 187, Rhyl, 16-11-1986 47356, Rhyl, 19-07-1991

There was clearly some major work being done on the track layout and signalling in the late 1980s including removing one of the through lines, but it remained traditionally signalled.

Mol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The photos in Mol's post are how I remember Rhyl in the 1980s, when both signal boxes were in use, as far as I am aware. Rhyl No. 2 was magnificent, and right at the end of the up platform:

73 135 200573 Rhyl No2 Signal Box

Having two signalboxes does change some of the signalling - note the distant signal in the picture above. This wouldn't be needed with just one box, and the top signal is actually the Rhyl No. 2 up slow starter, not the up home. I don't remember those two small arms on the down side (but that might just be my memory), nor do I know what they are for. The post appears to be the same one used for the down main starter after Rhyl No. 2 box was closed.

The Rhyl No. 1 up home signals (at the Chester end of the platform) were unusual, because of the overbridge. You can see the gantry in the third picture on this page: https://www.2d53.co.uk/rhyl/general.htm

I am not sure when the gantry was replaced with two separate posts (with only a low down signal for the fast line, viewed under the bridge), but it was before 1986, as can be seen on this web page: https://www.derbysulzers.com/rhyl.html

The signal for the fast line is seen in the second "Rhyl" photograph, and the slow line (platform) signal is in the very last Rhyl photograph, immediately before the Abergele section.

This page is from a more recent date, after Rhyl No. 2 was taken out of use and the up main was removed, but I think it shows all the remaining semaphores, including the ground signals for the down sidings and for the up line to down line crossover: https://www.roscalen.com/signals/Rhyl/index.htm

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I don't remember those two small arms on the down side (but that might just be my memory), nor do I know what they are for. The post appears to be the same one used for the down main starter after Rhyl No. 2 box was closed.

Rhyl No.2 down fast home and down fast to down neck.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The Rhyl No. 1 up home signals (at the Chester end of the platform) were unusual, because of the overbridge. You can see the gantry in the third picture on this page: https://www.2d53.co.uk/rhyl/general.htm

I am not sure when the gantry was replaced with two separate posts (with only a low down signal for the fast line, viewed under the bridge), but it was before 1986, as can be seen on this web page: https://www.derbysulzers.com/rhyl.html

About 1977/8 the gantry was replaced by separate signals.

• Thanks 1