Hornby/Triang R473 station prototype?

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, Happy new year!

I've always liked the look of the old Triang station buildings, they remind me of the 1960's brutalism style. I've still got a few of these and was wondering if they were actually based of anything on the real railway? 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hi Simon.

I am not sure about what they were based on. But did you know they made a second story for this building. You can see it here in one of Oscar Paisleys earlier layouts.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, now that is interesting.

I had a bright red colored version of that building, but with a set of doors in the center. I've never seen the version without, and never would have guessed that's what it was used for! I still have the clock tower somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not exact replicas but I think they are meant to be representations of the new buildings that replaced many in the 1960s.

Look at places like Stafford for similar. Many replaced old wooden buildings.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2439002

Knowing the way Triang/Hornby and others worked they probably did copy it from a real one, but what I wouldn't know. The signal box for example is a pretty good model of a LMR Type 15 signal box with obvious compromises.

Jason

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Here's an Australian price list from 1965, which includes the station sets & parts. Note it has been modified for Dollars and Cents, which weren't in use yet.

http://www.collectingbooksandmagazines.com/triang65.html

NSW Suburban Set, R450, 2 coaches, no track for $11.00 (£5/5/-)!  Sounds like almost as good a bargain today as Hattons advertising 3 rail Hornby Dublo Southern Region EMU power cars for 50/- (two rail were 65/-) in the April 1965 Railway Modeller (no trailer cars in their advertisement, maybe they were sold out).  If only one could go back in time…….

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

When I was a young boy, I thought it looked rather like my local station of Apsley, which Wikipedia tells me opened in 1938 (I'm surprised it is so late; the village and paper mills were largely Victorian).

The thing I really didn't like about Hornby stations was the curved platform ramps. All the platform ramps I knew were straight.

• Like 1