The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

2024 Motorsport (non-F1) Thread

I must say how much I enjoyed the WEC race in Qatar last weekend. I’ve always loved endurance racing, but I think it’s just entered a golden era the likes of which we’ve not seen since the glory days of Group C.

Speaking of which, over on dukevideo.com they have a couple of new t-shirts I like the look of: Silk Cut Jaguar and Rothmans Porsche. They’re on my birthday gift list.

• Like 1

This weekend there is MotoGP from Portimão, Portugal, Australian Supercars from Albert Park, Melbourne, NASCAR from the Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, and a non-championship round of IndyCar - The $1Million Challenge at the Thermal Club in California.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/03/2024 at 16:31, Invicta Informant said:

This weekend there is MotoGP from Portimão, Portugal, Australian Supercars from Albert Park, Melbourne, NASCAR from the Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, and a non-championship round of IndyCar - The $1Million Challenge at the Thermal Club in California.

Looking forward to COTA tonight on Viaplay, my driver Alex Bowman finished 3rd last year and 2nd the year before. Will be interesting to see how the Australian Shane Van Gisbergan gets on as he won Chicago last season at his first race!

7 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

The one upside of Liberty Media buying MotoGP is that it may divert their attentions away from their current aim of destroying F1.

But it just means that they can bu@@er up MotoGP in parallel with F1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

F1 owner Liberty Media buys series in deal valued at £3.6bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/68707565

RIP MotoGP!

That was exactly my reaction to this news.  Another sport to be ruined by billionaires who apparently still don't have enough money.  I have followed 500GP/MotoGP for over 30 years and it is probably better now than it has ever been (the last years of the two-strokes, well the bikes were truly evil and the riders were gladiators to manhandle them, but most of the races were quite dull).

No doubt we can look forward to contrived race results, new circuits with lots of 90deg corners in wealthy countries with no history of motorsport and lots more celebrities (with zero knowledge of motorcycles/bike racing but something to promote) parading in front of the cameras in the pit lane, asking how the bikes don't fall over.

<Head in hands>

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend there is IndyCar and IMSA Sportscars from Long Beach, California, the World Endurance Championship with a 6 Hour race at Imola, NASCAR from Talladega, Alabama, Australian Supercars from the Taupo International Motorsport Park, New Zealand, and the World Rally Championship from Croatia.

• Like 1

First round of British Superbike at Navarro in Spain(!) this weekend. Also, World Superbike at Assen. Both live on Quest (Ch 12 Freeview) from 11am on Sunday.

BTCC starts next weekend!

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Invicta Informant said:

This weekend there is MotoGP from Jerez, IndyCar from Barber Motorsports Park, Alabama, NASCAR from Dover, Delaware, DTM from Oschersleben, British GT from Silverstone and BTCC from Donington Park.

MotoGP from Jerez when about half the riders in the three classes are Spanish.  The place is going to go absolutely mental.

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

MotoGP from Jerez when about half the riders in the three classes are Spanish.  The place is going to go absolutely mental.

This championship has four races in Spain (Jerez, Barcelona, Aragon and Valencia) and two in Italy (Mugello and Misano).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/04/2024 at 21:41, Invicta Informant said:

This championship has four races in Spain (Jerez, Barcelona, Aragon and Valencia) and two in Italy (Mugello and Misano).

I'm sure I heard on the ITV4 highlights that there was a record crowd at Jerez.  When you consider they used to get 300,000 in the late 1990s (locking more people out than attended the 500GP at Donington Park).......

3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm sure I heard on the ITV4 highlights that there was a record crowd at Jerez.  When you consider they used to get 300,000 in the late 1990s (locking more people out than attended the 500GP at Donington Park).......

They got the numbers wrong:

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/motogp-miscalculated-spanish-gp-attendance-by-over-100000-people/10604962/

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

British Superbike at Oulton Park Sunday & BH Monday live on TV - Channel 39, D-Max, 1300 to 1800 both days.

There is also the GT World Challenge Sprint Cup from Brands Hatch, the European Le Mans Series from Paul Ricard, Super GT from Fuji and NASCAR from Kansas.

The entry list with full driver line-ups for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours has been finalised:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

This coming weekend there is WEC from Spa-Francorchamps, IMSA from Laguna Seca, IndyCar from Indianapolis (racing on the road course), and NASCAR from Darlington, South Carolina.

• Informative/Useful 1