New Models 2024

Neils WRX

On 06/01/2024 at 17:42, Neils WRX said:

New Models Thread

Might as well start a new models thread:

Piko 

https://www.piko-shop.de/de/download.html

Few bits and pieces of interest…

Some really nice models announced for Polish modellers, an EP09 no less in PKP IC, a starter set of a Polregio SM42 with 2 coaches, a chocolate EU07, CTL ET21 and a koleje mazowieckie EN57 emu are the highlights for myself.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, the new Electrotren releases are now live on their website.....

https://uk.electrotren.com/range-launch-2024?langPath=electrotren-uk&filters[mandatory_filter_by][product_group]=Electrotren Range Launch 2024&page_id=141992&sort-by=8&page=1

Now, which 444 do I pre-order? Red-Yellow or Danone, or both?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, friscopete said:

New Rivarossi  C&O Allegheny  2-6-6-6-6-6-6-🤣 looks interesting  ,nay awesome .

Yes, I saw that too..... As a "lapsed" American HO C&O modeller, it's definitely tempting for that next Appalachian based layout. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

I'm tempted to wait for the 'washing machine' in Danone. Otherwise not much of interest this year. Still, the 309 should be here soon.

I'd quite like one in the Regional livery, I.e Danone with the orange stripe, as I have a photo of a 444 taken at Sants Station.

I'd definitely love them to do one as a 448 in the most recent livery, as I have plenty of photos of them, and I took a ride from Barcelona to Torredembarra on one too....

• Agree 1

The CIWL coach packs. I don't know where to start...

Available in three separate brands. Unless each brand carries differing road numbers, I can't see the point.

On the surface, it seems to be a direct response to the Marklin's Eidelweiss set.  Yet there are no  3-rail versions.

The idea that I might like to vary the lighting intensity "1-5 seconds".   Umm... for what reason?

Finally, the rooftop-button.  I actually don't even need to say anything more - it speaks for itself.

My head is spinning from the sheer madness.

On 09/01/2024 at 15:11, GD said:

Some really nice models announced for Polish modellers, an EP09 no less in PKP IC, a starter set of a Polregio SM42 with 2 coaches, a chocolate EU07, CTL ET21 and a koleje mazowieckie EN57 emu are the highlights for myself.

A brave choice with the EP09. 

I was talking to the Piko rep at Poznan Hobby 2022 and mentioned the big gap was the EP09. 

He said it was unlikely as you can only really do one locomotive ( no two being the same)

And lo, here it is. 

With some of the models they are bringing out, it's almost as if they have been reading my mind

And of course who can resist an SM42?

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vinedusk said:

The CIWL coach packs. I don't know where to start...

Available in three separate brands. Unless each brand carries differing road numbers, I can't see the point.

The CIWL set from the Jouef brand is an Etoile du Nord, the Electrotren set is a Sud Express and the RivaRossi set is an Edelweiss. So three completely different trains with different type of CIWL cars. Whether the consists of these trains are realistic might be of no interest here, so I will refrain from further comments.

Regards

Fred

3 hours ago, sncf231e said:

The CIWL set from the Jouef brand is an Etoile du Nord, the Electrotren set is a Sud Express and the RivaRossi set is an Edelweiss. So three completely different trains with different type of CIWL cars. Whether the consists of these trains are realistic might be of no interest here, so I will refrain from further comments.

Regards

Fred

Thanks Fred,

you forced me to go back and re-read the brochure.  I think I saw the Rivarossi first and assumed (incorrectly) that they made a competing pack to the Marklin version and simply split it into the two couplets for sales flexibility.  I then assumed that they were the same across all three brands.  I am rather cynical these days.  I am unclear as to why Jouef have split their couplets across the two packs.  This is the sort of thing that makes me so cynical.  Here's a summary for the other cynics out there.

From Jouef -

• HJ4198 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Etoile du Nord”, set 1/2 (1 x DD3, 1 x VP Côte d´Azur and 1 x VPC Étoile du Nord), ep. II
  • HJ4199 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Etoile du Nord”, set 2/2 (1 x DD3, 1 x VPC Côte d´Azur and 1 x VP Étoile du Nord), ep. II

From Electrotren

• HE4027 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Sud-expreso”, set 1/2 (DD3 + AA 5000 green with stripes and bellows + WL), ep. III-IV
  • HE4028 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Sud-expreso”, pack 2/2 (VPC Étoile du Nord + WL + WL), ep. III-IV
  • AC: HC6104 (11.50 x 24.50 mm) wheelsets.

From Rivarossi:

• HR4390 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Edelweiss Pullman Express”, train set 1/2 (DD3, VPC Côte d´Azur + VP Étoile du Nord), ep. II
  • HR4391 - CIWL, 3-unit pack “Edelweiss Pullman Express”, train set 2/2 (DD3, VPC Flèche d’Or + VP Étoile du Nord), ep. II

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vinedusk said:

T I am unclear as to why Jouef have split their couplets across the two packs.  This is the sort of thing that makes me so cynical. 

Of course with one pack you could represent, have a start for, a short Pullman train like for instance  The Calais Bruxelles Pullman Express (or the Ostende-Cologne Pullman Express):

Regards

Fred

• Like 1

I don't understand why they've done yet another plain red CSD T679.1, thats the third in a row now. Either a late CSD with some yellow as a 781 or a colourful CD 781 is what I'd want to round out my limited Czech collection.

Looking forward to the newly tooled DB 144, finally something that is considerably more detailed than the old one but not as expensive as the Brawa model.

Its going to get expensive with the Austrian narrow gauge, the Ybbstalbahn set with the 2095 diesel and the Pinzgauer Lokalbahn rolling stock will be must-haves. Perhaps also the standard gauge 2043 & 2062 diesels if the price is right. Then a whole bunch of other stuff that I'll get if they land in the sales at the end of the year!

8 hours ago, Stefan88 said:

I don't understand why they've done yet another plain red CSD T679.1, thats the third in a row now. Either a late CSD with some yellow as a 781 or a colourful CD 781 is what I'd want to round out my limited Czech collection.

Looking forward to the newly tooled DB 144, finally something that is considerably more detailed than the old one but not as expensive as the Brawa model.

It’s going to get expensive with the Austrian narrow gauge, the Ybbstalbahn set with the 2095 diesel and the Pinzgauer Lokalbahn rolling stock will be must-haves. Perhaps also the standard gauge 2043 & 2062 diesels if the price is right. Then a whole bunch of other stuff that I'll get if they land in the sales at the end of the year!

The other odd Czech choice is another 810 in CSD livery, why not do the CSD colours but with CD markings?

Less bothered about 781’s I’ve got 2 yellow stripe ones and a white one as well. But if they did one with flashes on the side I might get tempted….

Yes another M152 in original livery over a livery they haven't done yet seems daft, perhaps the first one sold so well that it justified doing another run with a new number? The PCB has changed too, these now have an MS decoder in a PluX22 socket instead of the MX-based on board sound PCB in the older releases. 

On 17/01/2024 at 23:29, Stefan88 said:

Yes another M152 in original livery over a livery they haven't done yet seems daft, perhaps the first one sold so well that it justified doing another run with a new number? The PCB has changed too, these now have an MS decoder in a PluX22 socket instead of the MX-based on board sound PCB in the older releases. 

There does seem to be quite a market for CSD stuff.

Guess it’s what the local modellers want.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 17:02, Neils WRX said:

There does seem to be quite a market for CSD stuff.

Guess it’s what the local modellers want.

Maybe it’s a bit like when older British modellers modelled the late steam era, the mix of remembering their younger years and nostalgia. PKP in the same eras seems pretty popular right now too. 

Both were untapped markets with RTR, the Czechs have been making their own resin and brass kits for decades but were poorly served by RTR at normal prices until the likes of MTB came along. Roco seem to have clocked on to some extent a while ago but have historically always failed to meet demand across the board - there are so many models they've made over the years which go for mad prices because they didn't make anywhere near enough. For example the Roco DB Wittenberger driving trailers used to go for ridiculous prices until ESU, Piko and Brawa joined the party. The Roco ÖBB CityShuttle push-pull sets are another, a 3 coach set still goes for €200+ on ebay, some individual coaches for €100+, CSD Type Y/B (particularly the 2nd/luggage) also tend to sell well over RRP. They really need to employ someone to trawl through ebay and forums to see which of their existing models are in demand, they really are missing a trick there, especially considering their financial issues over the last few years and being owned by a bank.

Piko seem to have cornered the Polish market some time ago and its clearly a strong growth area for them hence why they're bringing out more Polish stuff. Not really surprising given that its one of the larger EU countries population-wise and incomes there have grown rapidly since joining the EU.

Outside of the respective countries I'm sure plenty of people find them interesting as they haven't replaced all passenger services with identical multiple units and nothing but container trains and block hopper trains on the freight side, so quite interesting topics to model both historically and currently.

One wider area still relatively poorly served are the Balkans - former Yugoslavia has a lot of potential. ACME does well with their Yugoslav themed coach sets, these always sell out quickly and go for high prices second hand. They seem to have clocked on to this with another bunch of new JZ coach sets planned but there is still a lot more demand out there, they would do well with further releases of SZ & HZ type-Z international coaches, and another release of the Slovenian electric locos they once did. I'm particularly surprised no RTR model of the license built Swedish Rb, JZ class 441, exist, given that these ran across Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia and Macedonia, as well as Romania and Turkey, with nearly 300 built.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1