RMweb

Middle sized city station plan - 13ft by 8ft

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Just remember that the bays both ends have to do that.

Recently there was a thread about Darlington, here, which has a single ended bay, but fitting it into the available space.

Personally i would say that proposal is too symmetrical. That might be how it is, but there arent many operating variations compared to Oxford Road.

I have to agree with @RobinofLoxley, the bay platforms are very short and the maximum length DMU that would fit is 2 cars (easy to work out on the grids), not 3, and I also feel that scenically, the station would look very compressed.  If your modelling the modern era, with BR and it's cost saving measures in the 70's and 80's, I'm pretty sure the passing loops would have long gone.

I would stick with your Oxford Road plan, lots of movement which will keep you busy, and therefore enjoyable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TravisM said:

I have to agree with @RobinofLoxley, the bay platforms are very short and the maximum length DMU that would fit is 2 cars (easy to work out on the grids), not 3, and I also feel that scenically, the station would look very compressed.  If your modelling the modern era, with BR and it's cost saving measures in the 70's and 80's, I'm pretty sure the passing loops would have long gone.

I would stick with your Oxford Road plan, lots of movement which will keep you busy, and therefore enjoyable.

And you get to model the Sydney Opera House Oxford Road Station.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The bays are quite short. If I were going this way, I'd be inclined to get enough length for a 3-car unit by shortening the "bridging" platform in the middle.

Yes - but the space in the middle is where all the station buildings go (unless you add buildings on an overbridge across the middle.  

The length of bauys in station layoiuts like this seems to have varied considerably - for example, and still to be seen to some extent, the west end bays on the Up side at Swindon were very short as were the north end bays at Pontypridd.   Overall thsi sort of arrangement was surprisingly common although most such bays would in later years - if they had survived - hold at least the length equivalent of a three car DMU - as you've said - and many were longer (e.g Reading where the east end 'enclosed' bay would hold a six car DMU).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The length of everything in that plan is wrong, as I said it is only to give an idea and isnt to scale.

There is nothing wrong with the Oxford road plan, just trying to offer some alternative ideas that might lead to a more pleasing design.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, simon b said:

The length of everything in that plan is wrong, as I said it is only to give an idea and isnt to scale.

There is nothing wrong with the Oxford road plan, just trying to offer some alternative ideas that might lead to a more pleasing design.

I certainly appreciate it (and am enjoying the debates going on too!) and I like the ideas - all are welcome!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sheffield victoria might be another one worth a look, and if you don't want one on a viaduct Banbury has alot going for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - but the space in the middle is where all the station buildings go (unless you add buildings on an overbridge across the middle.

13 hours ago, simon b said:

Yes, and following Simon's clarification that it is a schematic not a scale drawing I don't see a problem.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, and following Simon's clarification that it is a schematic not a scale drawing I don't see a problem.

You can always do an "over the top" style station like Nottingham in this situation to minimise the buildings on the platforms?

Anyway, today's "brainwave" is followed by seeing Hornby Magazine's Grand Central layout. As prev suggested, I could use scenic up the fiddle yard area, to do something similar like the bottom of their layout for the sidings? 

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/building-great-central-railway

Get ahead of the game and build the new Oxford Road!

Hope this works.

On the present station, platforms 1 and 5 (the bay) only take four coaches and the others take six. And there are signalling restrictions which limit the number of trains.

I like your long fiddle yard line for a Freightliner

OxfordRd.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seahorse said:

Get ahead of the game and build the new Oxford Road!

Hope this works.

On the present station, platforms 1 and 5 (the bay) only take four coaches and the others take six. And there are signalling restrictions which limit the number of trains.

I like your long fiddle yard line for a Freightliner

OxfordRd.jpg

Build the old one. Far more operational interest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1