Middle sized city station plan - 13ft by 8ft

21 minutes ago, simon b said:

Is 8 loops going to be enough? Have a think about how many you need and design it around that number.

I would think so! It seems to fit the available space quite well. My only challenge is trying to get the right hand side accessible from all directions (so far, you can go west to east, but can't reach the longest two sidings from the east to west direction, which is hurting my head to rectify!)

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2024 at 16:55, Danfilm007 said:

Screenshot2024-01-12163828.png.7bcbff1d4111c8a3e904451ea4e6ab6d.png

If I honest I think this design would work better for the space you have, loose all the stub end sidings and you can make the loops longer. Seems a more flexable design in that the loops can be accessed from either end without blocking both running lines.

Edited by simon b

6 minutes ago, simon b said:

If I honest I think this design would work better for the space you have, loose all the stub end sidings and you can make the loops longer. Seems a more flexable design.

It is simpler! The curvature on the ends means that you can't really fit many more points in, but I have lengthened them quite a bit so you can store multiple units in the main loops and a longer train or two too. Means it is all accessible from all routes too, and it could be managed on one board controller with a Megapoints 12 point controller for example!..

Screenshot 2024-01-16 001127.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of keeping you going round in circles 🤪, you could take a couple of stub sidings off each end of the shortest storage loop, which would give four more storage roads (for locos or two-car DMUs) at the cost of keeping the loop itself clear.

Other than that, I think you've got the best FY solution in your latest iteration.

Edited by Chimer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Danfilm007 said:

It is simpler! The curvature on the ends means that you can't really fit many more points in, but I have lengthened them quite a bit so you can store multiple units in the main loops and a longer train or two too. Means it is all accessible from all routes too, and it could be managed on one board controller with a Megapoints 12 point controller for example!..

If you want the upper loops longer you can use curved points to start them sooner, them as Chimer has suggested a few stub ends on the shorter lower loops. I'd loose the 3 way points if it were mine, they are expensive so I only use them if no alternative.

Edited by simon b

I like your track plan except the tight curves (for the amount of room you have) in the upper left corner past the yard. 

Many times I wish I had built an around-the-room layout instead the current layout I have. I'm not about to start all over, but I do wish I had broader curves than 24".

1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Be aware the measurements of buildings are usually the outside ones and the inside could be a lot shorter especially with adding insulation, etc.

Cheers

Paul

Thank you! I can fit a 15ft building in the space (this is all long-term!!) so even accounting for insulation and smaller interiors 14ft inside should touchwood be fine. Obviously we can take length out if needs be!

1 hour ago, MichaelE said:

I like your track plan except the tight curves (for the amount of room you have) in the upper left corner past the yard. 

Many times I wish I had built an around-the-room layout instead the current layout I have. I'm not about to start all over, but I do wish I had broader curves than 24".

I'm readjusted the top-left curves slightly so they are looser but even on the right hand side it is relatively tight (20"). It is all a compromise in one way or another - this version has fewer sidings but is 100% accessible from all sides, whereas the other one had more but not all were. I won't be running trains at super high speed either so I don't think it is "as much" a problem?

8 hours ago, Chimer said:

At the risk of keeping you going round in circles 🤪, you could take a couple of stub sidings off each end of the shortest storage loop, which would give four more storage roads (for locos or two-car DMUs) at the cost of keeping the loop itself clear.

Other than that, I think you've got the best FY solution in your latest iteration.

I'll probably add one or two in - it's why I quite liked the more unconventional format as it meant there was a lot more space in each of the sidings but this is much less complex and I feel happier with it, length aside!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Danfilm007 said:

I'll probably add one or two in - it's why I quite liked the more unconventional format as it meant there was a lot more space in each of the sidings but this is much less complex and I feel happier with it, length aside!

Curved points are your friend to get the maximum length from the loops, use them on the left side of the yard and you could fit a pair of stub end tracks on the righthand side.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, simon b said:

Curved points are your friend to get the maximum length from the loops, use them on the left side of the yard and you could fit a pair of stub end tracks on the righthand side.

I'll give it a go! Really, the fiddle yard entrance is just too tight to fit any more points or changes in - this layout gives me a few extra loops and growth opportunities on those ends!

Me again!

I had some thoughts the other day. There is a layout on here that I can't recall the name of but it's a Northern modern image layout with some carriage sidings outside the station, plus layouts like Bradfield Gloucester Square where there is a mix of both station and sidings. I've taken some inspiration from Stockport station, so I have added in both another through platform at the top (which I may "dead end" or put a point on the lift-out section for it) and some basic sidings and a headshunt. The station at Stockport is also a bit easier - it starts in a bit of a cutting and ends on a viaduct so it could be a slightly more practical thing to model. Finally, it gives some more storage in the scenic area. Do you think I am slightly mad to incorporate it? 

Screenshot 2024-01-23 162121.png

• RMweb Gold

I think a hallmark of  main line 'city' stations is that they tended to have more bays than most through stations although there were eceptions.  Oxford, a city, for example only had two bays - both at the north end while Reading , not a city. had two bays ar one end and three at the other end but it was a major junction on quadruple track.  Similarly Slough, again not a city,  wasquadruple track but not a major junction and had one bay at the east end and - until 1963 - two bays at the west end.

Looking elsewhere Leicester Central, with a large island platform,  had two bays at each end while Nottingham Central, with two through platforms in each direction at 4 bays at each end. But Sheffield Victoria was not as well provided for  with bays as far as I recall.

These are just a few examples where I know the detail but cities tended to have local trains which needed somewhere to terminate and start their  journeys.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Danfilm007 said:

I really liked your original idea, it seemed a very workable plan, lots of operational interest with turnbacks, shortish rakes of emu,dmu and the occasional freightliner. An upgrade to Stockport would seem to require a 9 car wcml set passing through every 10 mins. But its your railway run what you like.

Sorry I quoted you but put my comments. V confusing.

Edited by dave75
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2024 at 00:15, Danfilm007 said:

I like this plan over your latest creation as everything flows nicely.  By putting in carriage sidings, your creating more work for yourself if your running it as a one man band, or if you have others in to help run it, do you have enough space in the operating well without getting in each others way?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TravisM said:

I like this plan over your latest creation as everything flows nicely.  By putting in carriage sidings, your creating more work for yourself if your running it as a one man band, or if you have others in to help run it, do you have enough space in the operating well without getting in each others way?

You are right, I think I'll abandon the idea od the sidings as it seems a bit much. I think I'll steal the changing heights aspect though!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 24/01/2024 at 18:16, simon b said:

Dan, what sort of trains are you planning to run on this? Mostly multiple units, or longer loco hauled passenger trains?

Mostly DMUs/EMUs and a couple of Loco hauled passenger stock

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Danfilm007 said:

Mostly DMUs/EMUs and a couple of Loco hauled passenger stock

I know Leicester central was mentioned a few posts ago, I wonder if something like that might better suit your stock? This is just a quick go in anyrail to give you an idea, it isnt to scale at all.

Screenshot (390).png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, simon b said:

I know Leicester central was mentioned a few posts ago, I wonder if something like that might better suit your stock? This is just a quick go in anyrail to give you an idea, it isnt to scale at all.

Screenshot (390).png

Interesting idea! Certainly is an interesting concept. Part of my reason for an Oxford Road style station was the variety of running but this station is more flexible in terms of reversal bays etc! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting idea! Certainly is an interesting concept. Part of my reason for an Oxford Road style station was the variety of running but this station is more flexible in terms of reversal bays etc! 

The great thing about this plan is that you dont need the outer crossovers oxford road has, all reversals are done in the bay roads. You can have your freight and loco hauled passengers going around the circuits via the outer platforms, then bring out a multiple unit from the bays, do a few circuits and bring it into the opposite end bay platform. No need for multiple units to use the fiddle yard at all, saving space for freight trains.

I've drawn it with a freight loop on each side, so you can overtake trains. The real station had more loops than that but it's up to you if you want to keep them or have none at all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by simon b
pic added
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, simon b said:

The great thing about this plan is that you dont need the outer crossovers oxford road has, all reversals are done in the bay roads. You can have your freight and loco hauled passengers going around the circuits via the outer platforms, then bring out a multiple unit from the bays, do a few circuits and bring it into the opposite end bay platform. No need for multiple units to use the fiddle yard at all, saving space for freight trains.

I've drawn it with a freight loop on each side, so you can overtake trains. The real station had more loops than that but it's up to you if you want to keep them or have none at all.

Food for thought! It does flow quite nicely. I must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for the way Oxford Road flows with its point works and tightness but it does obviously work better your way

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Food for thought! It does flow quite nicely. I must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for the way Oxford Road flows with its point works and tightness but it does obviously work better your way

It's just another idea for you, dont feel you have to go along with any of them. It's all about designing something that you will be happy with, and suits your operating style. Some people like to play about shunting a yard, others like to watch trains run by. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, simon b said:

Screenshot (390).png

The bays are quite short. If I were going this way, I'd be inclined to get enough length for a 3-car unit by shortening the "bridging" platform in the middle.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The bays are quite short. If I were going this way, I'd be inclined to get enough length for a 3-car unit by shortening the "bridging" platform in the middle.

Yep they are, it isnt to scale at all as I hit the limit of 50 track sections in free anyrail. The whole thing would need to be on a curve to fit in the 14ft length available, but the bays should ideally take a 3 car 158.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Just remember that the bays both ends have to do that.

Recently there was a thread about Darlington, here, which has a single ended bay, but fitting it into the available space.

Personally i would say that proposal is too symmetrical. That might be how it is, but there arent many operating variations compared to Oxford Road.

• Like 1