MARKF1985

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

...click on the cat...

I did...and he ran off 😜

Thanks for posting the pictures as I could not make it this year...👍🏼

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Headed down today with my son. Parking was crazy, but lucky that the road parking permit area didn't apply on a Sunday.

His favourite was the lego layout....

Loads to see, spent a good 4hrs. And didn't spent too much, I did two passes of the Dart casting stand.. I need to do some painting! 

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of the Wimborne layout which has been exhibited for several years. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and similar trains went to Wimborne. This layout runs trains from the 1950s to 1964 which is one of my favourite periods. I also liked the Lego and Thomas the Tank engine layouts.

P1020577.jpg

P1020581.jpg

P1020582.jpg

Brilliant exhibition today. Thanks to all involved in organising. Great selection of layouts. Special mentions for Portsea (captures the location very well, and a great advert for 3mm/TT), Fence Houses (atmospheric x 10), Bosun's Wharf (trains almost a side show - in a good way) and Newvaddon Parkway (which was a particular hit with my 5 year old and lots of other kids - non stop action!).

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the show some great layouts. Eastwood was well modelled and ran beautifully. Dinas Mawddwy  was very atmospheric. One disappointment was Wimbourne 7 operators behind the layout but nothing running.

Don 

3 hours ago, Donw said:

One disappointment was Wimbourne 7 operators behind the layout but nothing running.

Don 

It was modelled on 1975….🤦🏼‍♂️

There did seem some big gaps in running, and one of the operators out the front did seem to be not too happy with what wasn’t happening.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I noticed early on Saturday a couple of layouts, Wimbourne being one of them where there were numerous operators, a lot of nattering and very little actual movement.

• Agree 1

On 29/01/2024 at 17:36, Donw said:

Really enjoyed the show some great layouts. Eastwood was well modelled and ran beautifully. Dinas Mawddwy  was very atmospheric. One disappointment was Wimbourne 7 operators behind the layout but nothing running.

Don 

On 29/01/2024 at 21:22, EmporiaSub said:

It was modelled on 1975….🤦🏼‍♂️

There did seem some big gaps in running, and one of the operators out the front did seem to be not too happy with what wasn’t happening.

23 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Yes, I noticed early on Saturday a couple of layouts, Wimbourne being one of them where there were numerous operators, a lot of nattering and very little actual movement.

The above comments were discussed at our club on Tue. night and we are sorry if during the times you were viewing  the layout the operations were not up to the standard that we like to portray.

These are not excuses, but may go some way to explain what might have contributed.

First thing after the show opened on Saturday we experienced a faulty point leading into the fiddle yard that halted operations and involved two of the operating team to resolve.

The large number of operators behind the layout could have been during the change over of shifts with up to  8 people behind the layout, 4 going off duty and 4 coming on. Also during shift changes a lot of updating (nattering) of where we are in the timetable takes place.

The operating team of Wimborne welcome both positive and negative comments on the layout, it helps in improving the operation.

If anyone has any further comments on the above or ways in improving Wimborne’s operation in general, they are always welcomed, please PM me to discuss further.

Ian Matterface

Wimborne Team

• Like 1

I also thought it was a good show (as usual). I made it down from Kent via Eastleigh and the service bus as it arrived before the heritage one. I was amazed at not having to queue at all at 1100 on Saturday, I hope it doesn't mean that the numbers were down a lot.

I have to say I didn't notice an particularly long gaps on Wimborne - maybe I was just there at the right time. I tend to go round the hall(s) looking at the trade for what I need first and then return to look at the layouts loinger. I managed to find most of the bits I needed, including "Percy" for grandson from the club secondhand stall (oh and an M7 for myself to replace one that no longer runs very well)

Eastwood as has been mentioned looked very good to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 22:29, terry.ecmr said:

Had a great time with Rossiter Rise. Very busy both days.

Fortunate enough to be awarded The Founders Cup. Well Chuffed!

FB_IMG_1706561150519.jpg

IMG-20240128-WA0001.jpg

Very well deserved, an outstanding layout in a small space being very inspiring to the rest of us.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 17:29, sjrixon said:

Headed down today with my son. Parking was crazy, but lucky that the road parking permit area didn't apply on a Sunday.

His favourite was the lego layout....

Loads to see, spent a good 4hrs. And didn't spent too much, I did two passes of the Dart casting stand.. I need to do some painting! 

Eastleigh Lakeside Miniature Railway (about 10 minutes' walk from the show) is well worth a visit too.

But yes, plenty to see this year - I arrived at 10am on the Saturday and didn't leave until 3.

On 31/01/2024 at 20:41, paulr1949 said:

I also thought it was a good show (as usual). I made it down from Kent via Eastleigh and the service bus as it arrived before the heritage one. I was amazed at not having to queue at all at 1100 on Saturday, I hope it doesn't mean that the numbers were down a lot.

I have to say I didn't notice an particularly long gaps on Wimborne - maybe I was just there at the right time. I tend to go round the hall(s) looking at the trade for what I need first and then return to look at the layouts loinger. I managed to find most of the bits I needed, including "Percy" for grandson from the club secondhand stall (oh and an M7 for myself to replace one that no longer runs very well)

Eastwood as has been mentioned looked very good to me.

When I arrived at 10:00 on the Saturday, the queue to get in was about 100m long, and by the time I got to the front of it, it was 100m long behind me!

I heard someone say they'd had 1000 visitors through the door by Saturday lunchtime!

Encouragingly after the sad news of Hattons and Warley, there were a good number of children there - at one point I looked over the top of one layout ("Hayling Island" I think) to see 7 little faces looking at the layout behind it ("Portsea").