SOUTHAMPTON MODEL RAILWAY SOCIETY 2024 EXHIBITION

MARKF1985

SOUTHAMPTON MODEL RAILWAY SHOW  -JANUARY 27TH/28TH 2024

More than 20 top quality layouts in various scales and gauges , with well-known traders from around the country.

Skilled demonstrators to advise and show you how!

LIST OF LAYOUTS

Fawley

Radcliffe Road

Foxbury

Bosuns Wharf

Lower Exbury

Portsea

Foxbury

Eastwood

Pencader

Harkness

Dinas Mawddwy

Express Daisy Sidings

Wimborne

Hayling Island

Rossiter Rise

Fence Houses NCB

Brassingdale

Melin Dolrhyd

Kinlochlaggen

Newvaddon Parkway

Penworth

Lego World

Childrens' Layout

William Smith's Wharf

Kaninchenbau

Tittesworth

TRADERS

Aspire Gifts & Models

Bill Hudson Transport Books

C & L Finescale

Cheltenham Model Centre

Crécy Publishing

Dart Castings

GLR Bespoke Services Ltd

H & A Models

K&M Trees

Langley Models  

Model Railway Developments

Model Railway Solutions

Modelstock

Ron-Lines Model Railways

Roxey Mouldings

Severn Models

Squires Model & Craft Tools

Sunningwell Command Control

Transport Treasury Publishing

Travelling via Car

Barton Peveril College is about 1½ miles from M3 Junction 13 or M27 Junction 5 and will be AA signed from shortly after the junctions.
Please use SO50 5BX for SatNav.  (The college post code will take you to the back entrance of the campus)

Travelling via Train

Both Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway stations (London Waterloo line) are about a 25 minute walk, or by bus as below.

Free Heritage Bus

Southampton & District Transport Heritage Trust (www.sadtht.co.uk) will be providing a free bus service between Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway stations and Barton Peveril College.  The service is expected to run approximately half hourly from about 9.30am

Travelling via Bus

Bluestar Route 2, (Southampton – Eastleigh – Fair Oak) from Eastleigh station, stops in Derby Road near Tennyson Road.  It is a short walk along Tennyson Road to the back entrance to the college. Every 15 minutes on Saturday, half-hourly on Sunday.

Bluestar Route 5, (Eastleigh to Romsey, Saturday only) from Eastleigh station, stops outside the college, infrequent service (every 2 hours).

http://www.bluestarbus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=3864

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I've just been looking at trains down from Bath on 27th...may get some time at Eastleigh station as well...I went last year and thought it was excellent.

Chris H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2024 at 18:12, MARKF1985 said:

SOUTHAMPTON MODEL RAILWAY SHOW  -JANUARY 27TH/28TH 2024

More than 20 top quality layouts in various scales and gauges , with well-known traders from around the country.

Skilled demonstrators to advise and show you how!

LIST OF LAYOUTS

Fawley

Radcliffe Road

Foxbury

Bosuns Wharf

Lower Exbury

Portsea

Foxbury

Eastwood

Pencader

Harkness

Dinas Mawddwy

Express Daisy Sidings

Wimborne

Hayling Island

Rossiter Rise

Fence Houses NCB

Brassingdale

Melin Dolrhyd

Kinlochlaggen

Newvaddon Parkway

Penworth

Lego World

Childrens' Layout

William Smith's Wharf

Kaninchenbau

Tittesworth

TRADERS

Aspire Gifts & Models

Bill Hudson Transport Books

C & L Finescale

Cheltenham Model Centre

Crécy Publishing

Dart Castings

GLR Bespoke Services Ltd

H & A Models

K&M Trees

Langley Models  

Model Railway Developments

Model Railway Solutions

Modelstock

Ron-Lines Model Railways

Roxey Mouldings

Severn Models

Squires Model & Craft Tools

Sunningwell Command Control

Transport Treasury Publishing

Travelling via Car

Barton Peveril College is about 1½ miles from M3 Junction 13 or M27 Junction 5 and will be AA signed from shortly after the junctions.
Please use SO50 5BX for SatNav.  (The college post code will take you to the back entrance of the campus)

Travelling via Train

Both Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway stations (London Waterloo line) are about a 25 minute walk, or by bus as below.

Free Heritage Bus

Southampton & District Transport Heritage Trust (www.sadtht.co.uk) will be providing a free bus service between Eastleigh and Southampton Airport Parkway stations and Barton Peveril College.  The service is expected to run approximately half hourly from about 9.30am

Travelling via Bus

Bluestar Route 2, (Southampton – Eastleigh – Fair Oak) from Eastleigh station, stops in Derby Road near Tennyson Road.  It is a short walk along Tennyson Road to the back entrance to the college. Every 15 minutes on Saturday, half-hourly on Sunday.

Bluestar Route 5, (Eastleigh to Romsey, Saturday only) from Eastleigh station, stops outside the college, infrequent service (every 2 hours).

http://www.bluestarbus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=3864

Is it possible to get a bit more info on the layouts above (Scale era etc.) as having been checking your Wordpress website and it says more detail to follow...

No worries if not, as I will just google them and look what that offers up!

Was a good show last year 👌

Thank you in advance

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Sadly won't be attending as trains are not running and due to bad weather I imagine the ferry probably won't be either.. Unfortunately wasn't aware of this exhibition till this afternoon.

The weather forecast for the weekend does not suggest any issues with the ferries. 

Don

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

If you were an islander you know its not just down to weather lol  As it would be Sunday for me no trains so its a no go.

I do live on the Island. You commented about the weather.  The fact that Sunday is the day you want to go is the limiting factor but still possible. A friend from Lake will pick me up and we will join with the others at Whippingham. Were I not going with others I could get a bus to East Cowes or Fishbourne and take it from there or take my own car and probably find others to share the cost. Taking Ferries does add to the cost  and journey time but that is a fact of life on the Island.

Don

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Donw said:

I do live on the Island. You commented about the weather.  The fact that Sunday is the day you want to go is the limiting factor but still possible. A friend from Lake will pick me up and we will join with the others at Whippingham. Were I not going with others I could get a bus to East Cowes or Fishbourne and take it from there or take my own car and probably find others to share the cost. Taking Ferries does add to the cost  and journey time but that is a fact of life on the Island.

Don

Just not very foot passenger friendly that route which is why I never go that way. 
If there's fog which I see its a possible on the weekend Red Funnel won't run.
So only way for me is Ryde-PH and unfortunately no trains so doesn't really work, unfortunately ferries are the death of the island, was supposed to be taking my business to an exhibition but again fog cancelled that so yep I'll be moving this year.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I travelled down from Keynsham by train. Cracking show, great day out and an opportunity to catch up with quite few modeling chums. Photos to follow!

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I travelled down from Keynsham by train. Cracking show, great day out and an opportunity to catch up with quite few modeling chums. Photos to follow!

Chris H

My Flickr album of photos - captions to follow...click on the cat...

Southampton Show at Eastleigh January 2024

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Does anyone know if any of the trade sellers had any Cavalex 56s for sale?

Didn't notice any, I would have thought if there had been any, the traders would have highlighted them.  The most recent release I saw were GF Class 158's of which I was sorely tempted by the GWR one but just managed to resist!!!

Edited by John M Upton

8 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Didn't notice any, I would have thought if there had been any, the traders would have highlighted them.  The most recent release I saw were GF Class 158's of which I was sorely tempted by the GWR one but just managed to resist!!!

Didn’t notice any either, but I was sorely tempted by the EFE Southern Booster, in BR Blue, but then thought “how can I remotely justify it on a DR branch line”….🤔

12 hours ago, mullie said:

Well worth the trip from darkest Dorset despite SWR's best efforts to thwart me.

Martyn

12 hours ago, mullie said:

Well worth the trip from darkest Dorset despite SWR's best efforts to thwart me.

Martyn

I had a hell of a job getting a return ticket from Bournemouth with around 20 people queueing at the ticket offices and the only vacant ticket machine not accepting any letters after h when I tried to enter Southampton Airport Parkway. It is amazing how many stations start with 'South' . My return journey was chaotic following the announcement of a broken rail near Brockenhurst. My picture shows trying to get two train loads of passengers into a 50 seater coach with two queues of people either side of the coach's entrance.

P1020591.JPG

• Friendly/supportive 3

Despite Bournemouth Station's efforts to prevent me getting a ticket I did manage to catch the Cross Country train to Southampton Airport Parkway Station and this connected with the excellent free classic bus service to the exhibition. This went on to Eastleigh station and took those passengers to the exhibition. The driver recorded the number of passengers so it may have been better to catch a later bus to avoid a queue at the exhibition entrance. Looking at the passengers you can see that we fulfil the image of retired men wearing anoraks and carrying backpacks.

P1020566.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The queue out of the door on the Saturday morning had to be seen to be believed!!  Initially it seemed the Dart was doing the Airport Parkway runs and this beauty:

Ex Solent Blue Line 37 (NDL 637M) Eastleigh 27/1/24

...was doing the Eastleigh end.

The queue also had the additional entertainment of the utter wally in the car park reversing without looking where he was going and nearly smashing into a taxi!!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

The queue had probably died down a bit by the time I arrived at 10:46 and I thought the people collecting the money were very efficient. Model railway shows seem to have stopped issuing discounts for senior citizens a few years ago as most visitors fall into that category. I went straight to the canteen after arriving and I thought the food was very good and the whole exhibition was very well organised.

P1020567.JPG

• Agree 1