Great Central Redundancies

TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

It looks like the malaise amongst the Leisure / Heritage Railway sector is claiming a few more staff.

The Great Central is asking permanent employees to apply for redundancy as part of a programme to save £250,000.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/01/leicestershires-great-central-railway-announces-voluntary-redundancies.html

Thoughts are with those affected by the current economic climate.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Every preserved railway needs more volunteers so I'd suggest that if you are interested in railways have a chat with your local line as you will be able to help keep it open.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 18/01/2024 at 09:01, AMJ said:

Every preserved railway needs more volunteers so I'd suggest that if you are interested in railways have a chat with your local line as you will be able to help keep it open.  

Not so much given the recent news regarding the ELR, NYMR and now the mid-Norfolk.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Two class 153’s for driver training ?

Seems an odd justification, but if the price was right, they deserve preservation just as much as any other unit.. theres not many sources of less IT based/higher complex rolling stock for the future.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Two class 153’s for driver training ?

Seems an odd justification, but if the price was right, they deserve preservation just as much as any other unit.. theres not many sources of less IT based/higher complex rolling stock for the future.

Driver training and other stuff - I think they want to earn more money from testing stuff for the big railway, I would hazard that the Bo'ness got something for hosting the DVT testbed and other such tech.  The Severn Valley and it's electric shunter etc.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’d imagine for filming work theres logic too.

Ive already seen pacers in recent tv dramas, but they are gone from the network 4 years now.

Sprinters have a decade yet, 170’s maybe more  so at least 15 -20 years in relevence for contemporary tv.

Keep the liveries and smarten them a little.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

A couple of TOCs use preserved railways for low adhesion 'skid pan' training, saves having to bring an otherwise revenue earning unit with you.  Quick conversion for 153s if you dont already sign them and off go. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Great Central railway has long been used as a test bed for mainline operators and also Brush etc.

To me it makes sense, even more so if they can make some money from it. Driver training etc. when the line is ordinarily closed, or between steam paths, might be a nice little earner.

The only thing will be the life expectancy of the units….

Good luck to the GCR.

• Like 1