Would Dapol consider doing an N Gauge Class 155

1977joey

I saw on a facebook post in the N gauge group this week some interest regarding the Class 155 2 car DMU, asking if anyone would produce it in N gauge.

I myself would love a couple of provincial versions if they were done, I know in their short career they did a large area based at Cardiff on services to west wales, Portsmouth, the South west & upto Birmingham via Worcester & also Manchester.

The west Yorkshire one's also have a wide sphere of operation since introduced across the north carrying they're Metro Train red through to the latest Northern livery.

As Dapol already do the Class 153, I was wondering if a 155 would be considered? It would compliment the 156 & 153's that are already produced & the Farish Class 150 & 158..

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 1977joey said:

I saw on a facebook post in the N gauge group this week some interest regarding the Class 155 2 car DMU, asking if anyone would produce it in N gauge.

I myself would love a couple of provincial versions if they were done, I know in their short career they did a large area based at Cardiff on services to west wales, Portsmouth, the South west & upto Birmingham via Worcester & also Manchester.

The west Yorkshire one's also have a wide sphere of operation since introduced across the north carrying they're Metro Train red through to the latest Northern livery.

As Dapol already do the Class 153, I was wondering if a 155 would be considered? It would compliment the 156 & 153's that are already produced & the Farish Class 150 & 158..

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark

The 155 is something we have looked at in considerable detail but may be a little way off yet.

Out thinking is that the 153 is an older model and any future variants, other than those already promised, would need to retooled with improved chassis and DCC sound, etc. We could use the existing model as a base but the end cost to the customer would be the same as a new, top-notch version.

This all depends on market conditions, as we have a number of planned N Gauge projects already in the pipeline, such as the revised 56, 87, 66 and some as yet announced goodness!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I've seen the Class 155 done as a conversion from a couple of 153s - reversing what happened in real life, I guess! Still, it looked like a big job, as I recall.

Also, Dapol are planning a revised Class 66? I did not know that. How's that going to compare with the Revolution model, I wonder?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s not bad as conversions go - the only spare parts you need are some exhausts and a strip of glazing.  Cutting the new windows is a little tricky but it’s not hard hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Hi Mark

The 155 is something we have looked at in considerable detail but may be a little way off yet.

Out thinking is that the 153 is an older model and any future variants, other than those already promised, would need to retooled with improved chassis and DCC sound, etc. We could use the existing model as a base but the end cost to the customer would be the same as a new, top-notch version.

This all depends on market conditions, as we have a number of planned N Gauge projects already in the pipeline, such as the revised 56, 87, 66 and some as yet announced goodness!

Many thanks for the response Adam, good to hear it's not ruled out. I still have my fingers crossed for a new Provincial 156 if it comes to be ;)

Best regards,

Mark

Edited by 1977joey
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

Hi Mark

Why plan sound for a 153/155 retool but not for the class 56?

• RMweb Premium

Here's my attempt at a 2x153 -> 155 conversion. Far from perfect but I'm still proud of it:

N Gauge Class 155

(click image for the Gallery)

The biggest issue today is finding dummy class 153 to form half the conversion.

I'd hope if Dapol did release a class 155 (or refresh as per the class 56) that they'd improve the issues around the lower body sides (no turn under) and the height of the windows (which are a little shallow, but not to the same extent at the class 142!).

Steven B.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Why plan sound for a 153/155 retool but not for the class 56?

Apples and oranges. The 56 retool was a last-minute addition to models that were already planned and paid-for. I would certainly like to add sound in the future to some of the older diesels.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Here's my attempt at a 2x153 -> 155 conversion. Far from perfect but I'm still proud of it:

N Gauge Class 155

(click image for the Gallery)

The biggest issue today is finding dummy class 153 to form half the conversion.

I'd hope if Dapol did release a class 155 (or refresh as per the class 56) that they'd improve the issues around the lower body sides (no turn under) and the height of the windows (which are a little shallow, but not to the same extent at the class 142!).

Steven B.

That's nice work! I'm pretty sure I never rode a 155 (although I have been on a 153) but it looks pretty good to me.

3 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I would certainly like to add sound in the future to some of the older diesels.

Would definitely like to see a 155, but if you want suggestions for sound diesels let me just leave this here 😉

image.png.130f028d856c77caf0b949dad00aaa5d.png

• Like 2