Converting Hornby 58’ Maunsell rebuilds to 48’

A discussion on another thread has reminded me of something I pondered a while ago for my own stock…

Can the Hornby Maunsell 58’ rebuilds be easily chopped down to 48’? Has this been covered previously on another thread / any examples anyone can share of some successful surgery?

Thanks.

I suspect that the biggest problem is that the 58-footer rebuilds used the bodies from middle two vehicles in LSWR four sets and that the two outer vehicles were brakes with large brake compartments that bore no resemblance to the new brake compartments in the 58-footers. Thus you would be faced with a considerable amount of scratch building with no assistance forthcoming from the Hornby models. IIRC (and I haven't checked) the 48-foot brakes could work together without one or both of the intermediate compartment carriages (albeit with a considerable loss of passenger accommodation) but that the 48-foot compartment carriages couldn't work solus, they had to form part of a set with brakes at both ends. The LSWR (and the other two SR constituents) were significant innovators in respect off fixed set operation.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Also the rebuilds were on wider chassis hence the triangular filet along the bottom edge of the bodyside.  As someone apparently once said if you want to get there, I wouldn't start from here...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Also the rebuilds were on wider chassis hence the triangular filet along the bottom edge of the bodyside.  As someone apparently once said if you want to get there, I wouldn't start from here...

Looks like Roxey is my next port of call then!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Indeed, apart from removing the triangular filet from the body, you'd need different solebars with rod trussing, and LSWR bogies ......... a sort of 'Trigger's broom' chassis.

• Like 1