"High Line Park" - New York (Manhattan)

trisonic

The High Line Park is now open in NYC. The is a new park utilizing the old "high line" elevated lines on the Lower West Side - not all of it is open yet.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.thehighline.org/

Please search this site because there are some very interesting photos in the historic section and from contemporary photographers. Some of the original trackwork is still in situ.

Anyway something interesting to do in this boring cityrolleyes.gif

Best, Pete.

Excellent project and a really nice web site. I stumbled on the Promenade Plantée in Paris a few years ago which I think was the first project of this kind to follows the route of a disused viaduct from the Bastille. The site of the station is now the Bastille Opera house. Its really wonderful walking across the city peering the peoples' windows and looking smugly down on the traffic [bit like riding a train]. This NYC version promises to be even better.

Excellent project and a really nice web site. I stumbled on the Promenade Plantée in Paris a few years ago which I think was the first project of this kind to follows the route of a disused viaduct from the Bastille. The site of the station is now the Bastille Opera house. Its really wonderful walking across the city peering the peoples' windows and looking smugly down on the traffic [bit like riding a train]. This NYC version promises to be even better.

Two recent shots of the Promenade Plantée in Paris .

post-80-127895830519.jpg

post-80-127895834488.jpg.JPG]

The trackbed was probably 4 track. Gare de Bastille was apparently a satellite suburban turminus of the Est, and I understand was the last steam worked service in Paris, until closure in 1969 . I think some of the lines served were subsequently incorporated in the RER (Ligne A?)

Thanks Pete, that's fascinating!

Loads of interesting stuff in the archive pics. That NYC Alco for one thing, what looks to be a diner made of 3 wooden(?) passenger cars and, am I missing something or was it dual gauge in places? They looked too far apart for check rails.

steve

Thanks Pete, that's fascinating!

Loads of interesting stuff in the archive pics. That NYC Alco for one thing, what looks to be a diner made of 3 wooden(?) passenger cars and, am I missing something or was it dual gauge in places? They looked too far apart for check rails.

steve

A cursory search of my memory indicates that most engines on this line were "tri-powered" - 3rd Rail electric, Battery and Diesel. I have no idea as to how this info arrived in my head! The other rails do not look insulated so I'm suitably mystified. Someone on here must know for sure - a New York Central buff, which I'm not!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is bottom contact 3rd rail in some of the pics. There is also continuous check rails on some of the curved non electrified tracks presumably to keep stock on the right of way in case of derailments,(Many viaducts have this). I believe that there was a ban on any form of smoke emission from the eraly 20th century and all the NYC and PRR trains in Manhattan were electrically hauled and still are. The NYC and it's successors out of Grand Central use dual mode Electro diesels to this day. I can probably find some info about what locos worked the line in a book that I've got. If I find anything I'll post it.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is bottom contact 3rd rail in some of the pics. There is also continuous check rails on some of the curved non electrified tracks presumably to keep stock on the right of way in case of derailments,(Many viaducts have this). I believe that there was a ban on any form of smoke emission from the eraly 20th century and all the NYC and PRR trains in Manhattan were electrically hauled and still are. The NYC and it's successors out of Grand Central use dual mode Electro diesels to this day. I can probably find some info about what locos worked the line in a book that I've got. If I find anything I'll post it.

Jamie

Another obvious feature are some sharp curves, they seem much sharper than we are used to in the UK. However, all the rolling stock would have had bogies with short wheelbases, no 4 wheel wagons there!

Keith

The March 2002 issue of Trains includes an excellent article on the High Line. Among the photos is an astounding shot of 11th Avenue before the High Line was built, showing the type of situation that led to its construction in the first place. It's a gridlock of cars, trucks, trains and horse-drawn wagons more or less randomly dispersed across the street. Apparently, collisions were so common in those days that 11th Ave was nicknamed "Death Avenue".

There's also a 1941 shot of an NYC tri-power boxcab leaving the 18th Street Yard behind a flagman on a horse!

Jim

Jim, There are also some shots of "Death Avenue" on the High Line site under history. Take a look to see if they are the same ones.

Nowadays just take care of the lunatic Taxi drivers......

Best, Pete.

Pete

I think that most of the photos from the article are in that gallery. The horseman picture is the same as the one on the history timeline page, the Death Avenue shot is on the top row of the fourth page of historical photos. Lots of cool photos on that site :).

That park in Paris looks terrific as well. The line northwards out of Liverpool was once carried on two parallel viaducts, only one of which is used nowadays. I've thought in the past that the other one could be prettied-up a bit and used as some kind of public amenity. The area's not exactly one of outstanding beauty, but pretty much anything would be an advance on its current state :( .

Jim

Weell, Jim, you don't need me to tell you that a lot of politicians cannot tell the trees from the trash (or something like that anyway)........

Glad you enjoyed the link - one of the better ones put together by a public authority.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Weell, Jim, you don't need me to tell you that a lot of politicians cannot tell the trees from the trash (or something like that anyway)........

Glad you enjoyed the link - one of the better ones put together by a public authority.

Best, Pete.

When did passenger trains stop using the High Line and where was the passenger terminus?

Most of the archive shots show basic infrastructure for freight with no signalling or conductor rails.

Keith

Thanks for adding this to my list of things to do when I visit NYC. Hope to be there in October and this is near a photography store I want to visit on W 41st .

• RMweb Premium

Don't think they ever did - they would have gone to Grand Central Station (in its various forms).

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

On the archive shot with the Bell telephone building the train appears to consist of all clerestory roofed passenger cars.

That's why I asked!

Keith

I'm at a loss. I'm no expert on the New York Central!

Company train?

I dunno! So far as I know there are no stations or public depots on the high line........I'd be pleased to be wrong.....

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete

On the archive shot with the Bell telephone building the train appears to consist of all clerestory roofed passenger cars.

That's why I asked!

Keith

Are you sure they are passenger cars? They look like box cars to my old eyes......

Best, Pete.

Are you sure they are passenger cars? They look like box cars to my old eyes......

Best, Pete.

Most definitely a train of passenger cars - most likely on an offical trip to show off the high line - notice how clean the ballast is :O

As far as a station, the end of the line remember was a very large freight house - St. John's Park Terminal (see the last photo in the archive.) The train most likely was pulled into the building, and the various folks were given a guided tour. The photo of the train going thru the Bell Labs is on what should be the north bound track, but it appears to have crew aboard, and heading south - the train very possibly had a power unit at each end of the train to allow for a smooth ride for the guests of the railroad - no switching involved.

Speaking of Bell Labs, the building that the train goes thru was only the newest structure on the block, the rest of the block was occupied with the rest of Bell Labs - dating back to 1894 - the buildings still stand - it is an artist's complex now - Westbeth Artists Housing

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

• RMweb Premium

Most definitely a train of passenger cars - most likely on an offical trip to show off the high line - notice how clean the ballast is :O

As far as a station, the end of the line remember was a very large freight house - St. John's Park Terminal (see the last photo in the archive.) The train most likely was pulled into the building, and the various folks were given a guided tour. The photo of the train going thru the Bell Labs is on what should be the north bound track, but it appears to have crew aboard, and heading south - the train very possibly had a power unit at each end of the train to allow for a smooth ride for the guests of the railroad - no switching involved.

Speaking of Bell Labs, the building that the train goes thru was only the newest structure on the block, the rest of the block was occupied with the rest of Bell Labs - dating back to 1894 - the buildings still stand - it is an artist's complex now - Westbeth Artists Housing

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Thanks for that Gil.

Looking at some or the archive of pre high line days, travel around some of those streets must have been frightening.

The total trackage at street level is amazing. I can understand why 10th was known as death avenue.

The nearest we must have had in the UK was Burton-upon-Trent known as "Beer Town".

The were dozens of breweries with their associated maltings, bottling plants, coopers etc. all linked by a street level railway system. Driving through was nightmare with traffic having to give way to trains constantly criss-crossing the town.

It has all gone now with little of the past brewing history remaining and the final closure of the rails 30 or more years ago.

Keith

• 2 years later...

Archived