70000 BRITANNIA NAMEPLATES

paul 27

• RMweb Premium

At one time the Britannia Loco Society had a pair of Aluminum plates made as they were less vulnerable to theft than brass ones, which were painted black and used when the loco was out of use 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 26/01/2024 at 23:59, 92912 said:

At one time the Britannia Loco Society had a pair of Aluminum plates made as they were less vulnerable to theft than brass ones, which were painted black and used when the loco was out of use 

Thanks 92912 for your answer.

I had spent an hour or so yesterday looking for any photographs of changes in colour to the nameplate during 'Britannia's brief 15 years in service.

And as luck would have it, whilst looking for any with the background colour of 'Britannia's nameplate in focus, I discovered a photograph of No. 70000 at Neasden, which was made at the time of the naming ceremony by Alfred Barnes, at Marylebone station, in 1951.  This picture of No. 70000 complete with red-backed nameplate is at the top of page 16, in 'B.R. Standard Pacifics in Colour', by Peter Swinger, Ian Allan, 1994. 

Below is another colour photograph of 'Britannia', taken by R.C. Riley on 12th September 1964 at Willesden shed.  The caption says, "Still in clean BR Brunswick green . . . with detail differences, etc" - and it still has a red-backed, brass nameplate.  Given that No.70000 was withdrawn just eighteen months later, I would suggest that this picture shows the colour of the nameplate upon removal in June 1966.

Hope this is useful,

All the very best,

John

Definitely had black plates in 1962.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p24203037/ef171afb7

Then red again in 1963.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p24203037/e9c65a682

I would suggest trying to find a colour photo of whatever date is relevant, but most photos suggest it had red plates for most of it's working life.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1