Modelling the Mediterranean coastline

HMB

Progressing with my H0 Italian layout based around the Cinque Terra region 

I’ll soon be at a stage where I need to represent the sea lapping against the rocks of coastline 

the question is how do get a convincing Mediterranean Sea ? Anyone got experience of products to use and techniques 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps ask the question to Miniatur Wunderland on social media as they have a pretty extensive Mediterranean section? Alternatively I'd suggest posting your question as a topic in a layout-specific area of the forum where more people will see it - there are several coastal layouts on the exhibition circuit, you just want to add more blue rather than grey to your water!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Have a look on You Tube at some military diorama modelling of waterways and coastlines.  Some of their techniques are very subtle and lend themselves to railway modelling too.

cheers

Ben A.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/01/2024 at 19:34, HMB said:

I’ll soon be at a stage where I need to represent the sea lapping against the rocks of coastline 

the question is how do get a convincing Mediterranean Sea ? Anyone got experience of products to use and techniques 

One of my favorite places in Italy, we visited the area about 5 years ago and had a pleasant day touring the area, last year we travelled through the area on out return trip from Tuscany. I guess the colour will change depending on the time of year, in summer a much lighter and brighter shad of blue. also in summer a much calmer sea

• RMweb Gold
On 25/01/2024 at 19:34, HMB said:

I asked the same question regarding the coast on my Cumbrian Coast Line layout.  I've picked up some really good ideas and tips off YouTube, so I'd suggest looking on there first.