BRM March 2024 - No bundled extras

pwr

Down here in East Sussex the March edition of BRM landed on the shelves yesterday. It was again one of those bundles with a DVD and copy of Traction magazine at the inflated price of £9.99. Leaving aside the merits of this bundling, what was on the shelf was not a bundle since the copy of Traction Magazine was not present and the magazine not covered in a sleeve or plastic wrapt to keep the two magazines and DVD together. Both newsagents in town had the same problem so it seems this is an error at the printing or distribution stage since the cover quite plainly shows a DVD and Traction magazine included.

I wonder of this is a widespread issue since as it stands the price for just the magazine or in some cases the magazine and DVD is £9.99 for something that is normally £5.49 - I feel something has gone wrong here and many people will be paying for something they did not get. An investigation needs to happen and the question of what to do about people who have paid over the odds needs to be addressed. 

I have also sent an e-mail to the publishers and editor but have  heard nothing back

Paul R

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, pwr said:

what was on the shelf was not a bundle since the copy of Traction Magazine was not present and the magazine not covered in a sleeve or plastic wrapt to keep the two magazines and DVD together.

Traction is bound within BRM magazine.

See 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, pwr said:

Thank you for the explanation.

But at £9.99 I won't be buying it. Sorry

Paul R

Hi Paul. I'm sorry you feel like that. If you would just like BRM but no DVD, you can purchase the magazine here for just £5.49 and free UK delivery: https://worldofrailways.hooluh.co.uk/brm-magazine

Thank you for the information. I have just bought BRM from WH Smith. I do not want a DVD as I have got nothing to play it on.  I forgot to read the small print and I was shocked to hear the assistant tell me that the price was £9.99. I started buying magazines in 1961 when the Meccano Magazine was 1 shilling and 3 pence and this BRM was the most expensive magazine I have bought in my life. I will be thinking very carefully before buying another one.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

I will be thinking very carefully before buying another one.

Does RMweb not give you good value?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Traction is bound within BRM magazine.

See 

The important announcement for readers of Traction - is about Traction being permanently part of BRM. My thoughts which I have just posted in the Traction thread are-

BRM is usually £5.49. If there is going to be more content with the Traction element added, how is that going to be sustainable? The Traction journalists have to be paid. The production costs will surely be higher. Was the extra £4.50 for the March issue purely down to the DVD, which doesn't run on my computer? I assume that it was as the Traction pages were described as '32 pages of bonus content.....' Please don't spoil an excellent modelling magazine by putting in a large wadge of prototype material, which may not relate to modelling projects, and risk it becoming unviable unless the cover price rises.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I do not want a DVD as I have got nothing to play it on. 

I haven't had a PC with a DVD player in a decade. But an external player can be found as cheap as chips on Amazon, and they work fine. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I am enjoying the March 2024 issue and found the Traction content interesting and relevant to my modelling. The article on steel terminals has prompted me to ask if an article could be prepared on steel loads, with appropriate measurements of such items as slab and billet, as this subject is a complete void in my railway knowledge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We intend to continue the series of articles about freight terminals. I'll pass your comments about steel loads on to  the author of the steel terminals as I'm sure it will be of interest to modellers and those only interested in the real railway.

Stephen Rabone