Heljan Class 33 in OO scale - lighting help please.

robmanchester

Can anybody help me concerning the directional lighting on a 'Slim body' Heljan class 33. It is running on DC without a decoder and when placed on the track I see a red glow behing the headcode box when moving forward and no light at the tail end. I removed the body from the chassis and there is two bulbs mounted on each end of the chassis. When you run it with the body removed the upper bulb lights at the forward end and the lower one lights at the rear end - when the direction is changed the bulbs swap over so the upper one is lit at the forward end etc. There is a light tube that runs across the inside of the body at boths ends with a cut out where the lower bulb is located on the chassis which I thought would send some light to the lenses mounted on the bodyshell - but you can see nothing from the lower lenses.

I assumed that the lights would be white at the front and red at the rear and they would change colour according to the direction of travel like many other locos. Am I missing something ? The model is one of those without the extra headlight that is mentioned in the instructions as being also available.

Thanks.

Rob

10 hours ago, robmanchester said:

Can anybody help me concerning the directional lighting on a 'Slim body' Heljan class 33. It is running on DC without a decoder and when placed on the track I see a red glow behing the headcode box when moving forward and no light at the tail end. I removed the body from the chassis and there is two bulbs mounted on each end of the chassis. When you run it with the body removed the upper bulb lights at the forward end and the lower one lights at the rear end - when the direction is changed the bulbs swap over so the upper one is lit at the forward end etc. There is a light tube that runs across the inside of the body at boths ends with a cut out where the lower bulb is located on the chassis which I thought would send some light to the lenses mounted on the bodyshell - but you can see nothing from the lower lenses.

I assumed that the lights would be white at the front and red at the rear and they would change colour according to the direction of travel like many other locos. Am I missing something ? The model is one of those without the extra headlight that is mentioned in the instructions as being also available.

Thanks.

Rob

The as delivered class 33's didn't have tail lights fitted .

Instead , they used the roller blinds set to show 2 red panels .

The marker lights were white though someone recently pointed out to me that they may have had removable red lenses .

In any case , many marker lights were plated over in later years .

HTH

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, robmanchester said:

Can anybody help me concerning the directional lighting on a 'Slim body' Heljan class 33.

The lighting is discussed in the new 33 thread further down the Heljan page. May help clarify how the model is meant to be wired.