In unsafe hands, newbie, class 506 EMU

Inspired by Darius and his amazing MTK 506 build.  I decided to try my hand at a mousa models brass 506 I had in the cupboard. This is a rookie build on the dining room table so expect a fair share of errors

I started with the centre car , cut the pieces out and took a file to the areas where I had snipped it from the sheet. 

The centre unit consists of 3 pieces  of bodyside which are joined with the two door units.

The units have a noticable curve to the side especially at the bottom so I tried  to find a method of bending them to the profile of the end of the unit. 

Pliers initially but I found more success with clamping the edge between two pieces of balsa and gently applying pressure. 

I then clipped pieces together with foldback clips and took the soldering iron to them, expecting a pool of molten brass , I was pleasantly surprised when they joined. It's not the neatest but it holds and its  straightish.

17064810949921637003357452399256.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, dave75 said:

Inspired by Darius and his amazing MTK 506 build.  I decided to try my hand at a mousa models brass 506 I had in the cupboard. This is a rookie build on the dining room table so expect a fair share of errors

I started with the centre car , cut the pieces out and took a file to the areas where I had snipped it from the sheet. 

The centre unit consists of 3 pieces  of bodyside which are joined with the two door units.

The units have a noticable curve to the side especially at the bottom so I tried  to find a method of bending them to the profile of the end of the unit. 

Pliers initially but I found more success with clamping the edge between two pieces of balsa and gently applying pressure. 

I then clipped pieces together with foldback clips and took the soldering iron to them, expecting a pool of molten brass , I was pleasantly surprised when they joined. It's not the neatest but it holds and its  straightish.

17064810949921637003357452399256.jpg

Looking forward to how you get on 

Brian 

• RMweb Premium

Brass is nice to solder.

Bending, do not use pliers.

So many ways of bending, i would search for one you like.

But looking good.