The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Strange Phone Call today (Landline)

melmerby

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

This is the way the system works now.  If I ring the doctor, I have to listen to a very long-winded recorded message telling me they're recording the call, to ring 999 if it's an emergency, to go online where they have helpful tips on giving up smoking etc, and if that doesn't work to try and book an appointment on line (though they're already fully booked).  If you hold on for long enough ("We are very busy today.  You are number 8 in the queue") to finally get to speak to a receptionist, who will ask what the problem is - in case they can fob me off on a chemist or something.  If I manage to convince them it's important enough, they say the doctor will call me but can only say "some time today".   So when I get a missed call from the doc, and have to ring them back, and I still can't get through ....

As it happens while I was driving back from the dentist's this afternoon, I unexpectedly got a call from the local hospital and told them I didn't need to come in, as the problem had already been resolved.

Our surgery is similar, you usually wait hours for the Dr to call you back.  At the end of November I woke up with sores all over half my head and face.  Rang the surgery, eventually spoke to the receptionist who asked me to email a photo.  Then got something you really don’t want - the Doctor rang back within 5 minutes.  When you get a call back that quick it means something serious is wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 3

We have call screening enabled on the landline, my mobile is set not to ring for unknown numbers. And if anyone knocks at the door and I don’t recognise/don’t like the look of them, then I don’t care if they see me looking out the window at them. That door stays locked!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1