Saints in Late GW Service - 4000 Gallon Tenders

• RMweb Premium

I have searched through my library and online, and I'm sure the answer is "no", but can anyone disprove the proposition that some Saints were fitted with 4000 gallon tenders in late GW service?  

Given their shed locations and probable routes and workings, I'm not sure that they would warrant the larger tenders.

But I'm prepared to be corrected/educated.

Thank you

46 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I am not sure what size this is, but it looks larger than others that I have seen attached to Saints

Saint Class 2924 Saint Helena as Hereford station pilot 20 8 49.jpg

That's a Collett 3500g.

I have not seen a pic of a Saint with a Collett 4000g.

Some Saints (mainly Scotts) ran with Dean 4000g units in their early years.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I think Falcon Brassworks/Jidenco did one. One of those where it might be worth watching on eBay to see if the etches appear, sometimes they sell a few "etches only" on there, If they do, the rest of the bits you can get from other sources.

Jason

If anyone were to do it, then my money would have been on Falcon: they made kits for everything going! If I can’t find anything, I’ve thought of doing a horizontal cut and shut on a 4000 gall tender- I wonder if that would work?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Hornby do/did one, for their Grange, but that's RTR of course. It looks decent enough though.

Hadn’t spotted this reply when I posed a cut and shut possibility. Many thanks for this, and I shall look for the rtr version.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Hornby do/did one, for their Grange, but that's RTR of course. It looks decent enough though.

Does seem to be the variant they do the least though, last I looked they still hadn’t done a GWR version with it.  

Laurence Waters book on the Saint Class states that "the records show that 2931 ran with a standard Collett 4,000 tender, no 2417, between September 1946 and September 1947" I can not find any photographs of this in the book about this. A number of Collett 3,500 tenders, also the bogie tender, are in the photographs

He states all this information came from the work of Bill Peto who actually went and looked at the Great Western records for the Great Western Society.

He also says that 2920 St David was coupled to 4,000 gal tender no. 1509 built on lot A51, when the loco was withdrawn. However the photograph taken outside Swindon works is not of a Churchward 4,000 gal tender!

Richard Ashenden

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Wenrash said:

Laurence Waters book on the Saint Class states that "the records show that 2931 ran with a standard Collett 4,000 tender, no 2417, between September 1946 and September 1947" I can not find any photographs of this in the book about this. A number of Collett 3,500 tenders, also the bogie tender, are in the photographs

He states all this information came from the work of Bill Peto who actually went and looked at the Great Western records for the Great Western Society.

He also says that 2920 St David was coupled to 4,000 gal tender no. 1509 built on lot A51, when the loco was withdrawn. However the photograph taken outside Swindon works is not of a Churchward 4,000 gal tender!

Richard Ashenden

Frustrating when one’s memory is blank. I saw 2920 several times during her last months in service.Being an 85 C engine,she was a regular performer on Hereford-Cardiff stoppers.My last sight of her was at Pontypool Road on such a working. I regret I cannot verify anything about her tender,

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I doubt it had another tender in the remainder of its service life.

Only takes one major water leak or some other catastrophic failure I suppose.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

In lined black and red plates and a Churchward 3500g, 2920 at Worcester just a few months before withdrawal. I doubt it had another tender in the remainder of its service life.

Another source of Saints in their twilight years is The Red Dragon and Other Old Favourites which concentrates on Landore & the Swansea area between the late 1940’s & early 1960’s & features work by Huw Daniel & others. There are just 4 plates of Saints .All have 3500 gal. tenders. The names still resonate with me as memories of childhood. I had just entered grammar school when Saint David was withdrawn.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the info and picture links.    sorry for a lack of reply last week - dreaded lurgy struck my down.