Make that Giraffe duck? Electro Magnet DCC?

auditdata

Hi, I have shelves to store my trains and they are both static and dynamic The upper section has rolling roads so the locos "move" 

The old Triang giraffe wagon enables the giraffe to duck when going under a bridge and it is enabled by a magnetic section of rail. 

The grand kids want it to move when on the shelf track! The track is DCC wired and the diasplay is controlled by JMRI.

My question is, with an electro magnet it should be possible to enable the giraffe to duck. 

Any ideas how this might be acheived? Pulling apart a point motor? Are there small DCC contolled electro magnets for coupling trains? Anything else?

The green square in the photo shows the attached ferrous bar

Clive

All Photos - 1 of 1 (22).jpeg

2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I'd probably use a servo rather than an electromagnet.

Andi

To add to what Andi said, there are commercial DCC decoders that offer control of servos.

Regards

Nik

• RMweb Premium

Isn't the lump hanging down on the operating arm a magnet? Using an electromagnet may weaken it over time.

I'd use a servo to move it directly, or to move some iron/tin plate  - as mentioned above, you can get decoders with servo outputs. Either accessory decoder or mobile decoder - it may be possible to fit something inside the giraffe car so it can be moved around your display.

Steven B

Yes the lump hanging down is probably a magnet and the rail trigger is just a lump of steel. With the servo idea I guess I just attach a small wire to the bracket by the magnet and let the servo raise and lower the arm? any idea on the smallest servo?

Clive

Thanks Steven. The display is static but I do like the idea of controlling the giraffe by a DCC decoder and servo within the wagon for when it runs on the track. I have done a few carriages with lights controlled by onboard DCC decoders and the associated bogie pickup conversion. however, I think these old Triang wheels might be plastic, but I will check.

This video shows the concept more clearly. The servo idea might also enable the old Triang Mail Van to operate. 

Edited by auditdata
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NIK said:

To add to what Andi said, there are commercial DCC decoders that offer control of servos.

Regards

Nik

So I have now looked at servos and it seems the way to go. The mechanical movement given the correct physical orientation could pull the bar. 
So this is probably a true newbie ignorant question but given I only have DCC track power at the location is there a servo motor that is powered from track power? Given I can use a simple DCC decoder to give a voltage level to a servo for control is there such a thing. I looked at the cobolt ip digital point motors and this maybe overkill but I was not sure they would work as it talks about “accessory bus” for the DCC control but I want to use the track for the DCC control. 
Am I barking up the wrong tree!!   
Clive

4 hours ago, auditdata said:

Yes the lump hanging down is probably a magnet and the rail trigger is just a lump of steel. With the servo idea I guess I just attach a small wire to the bracket by the magnet and let the servo raise and lower the arm? any idea on the smallest servo?

Clive

The lump IS a magnet, and the trigger is a length of steel rail. As the wagon passes over it, the magnet is attracted to the rail, causing the giraffe to duck her head.

I'd use a small electromagnet to pull the "lump" down. Something like this should work - https://www.first4magnets.com/electromagnets-t220

2 hours ago, auditdata said:

So I have now looked at servos and it seems the way to go. The mechanical movement given the correct physical orientation could pull the bar. 
So this is probably a true newbie ignorant question but given I only have DCC track power at the location is there a servo motor that is powered from track power? Given I can use a simple DCC decoder to give a voltage level to a servo for control is there such a thing. I looked at the cobolt ip digital point motors and this maybe overkill but I was not sure they would work as it talks about “accessory bus” for the DCC control but I want to use the track for the DCC control. 
Am I barking up the wrong tree!!   
Clive

Hi,

I've yet to fit a servo in a model railway vehicle but servos typically need a power supply of 5 volts and they draw hundreds of milliamps (more than a 5V logic level output from a small decoder).

As far as I know small DCC decoders that can control servos don't come with 5 volt power out.

One way is to make a circuit with a fast bridge rectifier to convert the DCC to DC and then a DC to DC converter to drop the rectified voltage of about 12 volts down to 5 volts.

I don't know if anyone makes such a circuit, German or USA suppliers would be the most likely to.

Regards

Nik

I can be of no technical help but I love the topic title!

Looking back it's amazing how the early model manufacturers added mechanical or electromechanical working features to their trains (TPO nets, wagon tipplers, remote uncoupling as well as the famous giraffe) and with all the electronics technology of today we're now trying to catch up.

Zimo make a board (ADAPLU50) with a 5V supply that you can plug a decoder in to that might make this job easier:-

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/adapter-board-for-plux-22

Just use a suitable accessory decoder with a servo output and a PluX  plug like the Zimo MX685p16:-

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/newsitems/Neue-Funktionsdecoder_news_EN.htm

and you should be flying

41 minutes ago, Suzie said:

Zimo make a board (ADAPLU50) with a 5V supply that you can plug a decoder in to that might make this job easier:-

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/adapter-board-for-plux-22

Just use a suitable accessory decoder with a servo output and a PluX  plug like the Zimo MX685p16:-

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/newsitems/Neue-Funktionsdecoder_news_EN.htm

and you should be flying

That's it :-) Thanks Suzie. Now just need to find suitable small 5V servo. You are a Star :-)