Mr Rhodri Barry's Light Industrial Premises

• RMweb Premium

Hello there.

This has been hanging on the wall in my little room for ages.
Changed from from 7mm to NG and back again to 7mm.
Needs another name.

53515225695_87f0023b52_c.jpg

I was going to make a 00 layout but I've got so much 7mm stuff that would suit the 20" radii on this I'm going back to it .... slowly. Also another opportunity to make a little shunter.

Starting again with finishing off the ballast and fiddling with the points

Cheers - Jim

I'll put some stock on it take a pic and if it srikes a chord wirh anyone perhaps they would be kind enough to think of a name.

Edited by JimRead
title
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, 33C said:

Wye, Crossways, Poyntings, Smallgains close, Pintpots Road, Faffing yard...

Hello 33C,

I can imagine Mr & Mrs Smallgains with their Bottle and Bone store. And Poyntings holiday camp deliveries including 'guests' in open coal wagons (bring you own brooms) and Nissen Hut dormitaries to sleep in.

Cheers and thanks - Jim

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Very ingenious - the Barry Slip makes it into the ultimate space-saving switchback layout!  Impressed, Keith.

Thanks Keith,

Nice of you to comment

Cheers - Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello there,

This my line up of wagons and a little diesel loco

53515433677_e297029804_c.jpg

I can just get a 10ft wheelbase wagon through the 20" radius points and curves. If it helps anyone to conjure up a name for the layout please feel free to do so.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, marc smith said:

Another micro classic coming up here, I think @JimRead
I think the name "Barry's Lip" is rather clever - the suggestion "Barry's Lip Yard" is quite good. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

6 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

If the board/layout is 3' long, why don't you just call it Barry's Lip Yard?

Hello JCM and Hello Marc,

You've both given me and idea, Barry's LIP Yard. Light Industrial Premises. A euphemism for a tatty rundown sort of a place. And thanks to  33C for ....

22 hours ago, 33C said:

Wye, Crossways, Poyntings, Smallgains close, Pintpots Road, Faffing yard...

.... Mr & Mrs Smallgains, Creosote (bring a jug) Emporium, using the MSW dilapidated tank wagon.

I do like making cattle wagons .... perhaps bones, hides, etc?

Cheers and thanks ever such a lot - Jim

Edited by JimRead
speeling
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Hello Jim,

Is the Diesel Shunter one of your card creations?

Paul

Hello Paul,

I made the diesel in about 1982 with a hand drilled brass chassis and the body is styrene. At the time I knew nothing about loco construction and just made it up as I went along. The chassis limps but the feedback in the controller takes it out.

I'd always made wagons from card but never thought about locos until I met a guy from Nottingham who had made lots. We had Cardboard Corner at the Nottingham show and had a great laugh about it. He makes coaches and huge 0 Gauge express locos.

I am looking for a drawing for this loco;

53518427498_18e7b64989_o.jpg 

It ran on the Nth Sunderland railway and looks really quirky and just right for card including the chassis.

Cheers - Jim

• Like 7

Hello Jim,

I recall seeing the Cardboard Works ‘O’ gauge display at several shows in the East Midlands.  Very inspiring.

If I can track down the images in my computer storage, I’ll post one of my card creations, if you are interested?

The IC loco on the NSR is interesting. 

After a search on the Interweb found this;

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/diesel-shunters.html

Also, within RMweb, High Level kits announced a model for this very locomotive back in 2019.  Perhaps they could provide a drawing?

Kind regards

Paul

Edited by Flying Fox 34F
Details added after some resarch
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Paul,

Thanks for doing all that research good of you. I'll send a note to High Level, I use their 00 hornblocks for my locos. The page about the Diesel loco's is very good too and that they should have some NSR loco pics.

I'd really like to see some of your card creations. I use GANSG for the drawings of wagons there's lots apart from Appendix 2 scattered throughout the site and anyone can download the whole site for offline reading. Best to do so sites have a habit of disappearing and this one is too valuable to lose. Link on this page:- https://ogaugemicro.blogspot.com/p/links.html

Cheers - Jim

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello there,

Many thanks to all of you for the suggestions I was at a loss to think of anything concrete. 
53522546838_e39b944719_o.jpg

Once you'd all got the grey matter stirred I was gradually able to add bits here and there until now it's looking like a proper place with a purpose.

I'm really grateful

Cheers - Jim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• JimRead changed the title to Mr Rhodri Barry's Light Industrial Premises
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nyeti said:

Always good to see your work, @JimRead!  That little Armstrong-Whitworth diesel is a great find too.

Thanks Nye,

For the nice comment good of you. I am hoping to receive a drawing soon someone has contacted me on my website, they've got to find it though, happens to us all :-)

Cheers - Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 08/02/2024 at 16:43, JimRead said:

Hello JCM and Hello Marc,

You've both given me and idea, Barry's LIP Yard. Light Industrial Premises. A euphemism for a tatty rundown sort of a place. And thanks to  33C for ....

.... Mr & Mrs Smallgains, Creosote (bring a jug) Emporium, using the MSW dilapidated tank wagon.

I do like making cattle wagons .... perhaps bones, hides, etc?

Cheers and thanks ever such a lot - Jim

Hi again @JimRead,

"Barry's Light Industrial Premises Yard" - that's the name definitely sorted! 
I'd really like to see a model of that shunter, built out of card Jim... I'm sure if anyone can do it, you can sir :) 

As ever, your work is inspirational, especially in the world of micro and small layouts. Really hope to see this layout in the flesh some day.

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello @marc smith 

Thank you for all the kind comments good of you.

I will be making the loco from card including the chassis.

I've bought some 5 pole motors off Aliexpress they should be here sometime in March. I did try to get a few of these;

53527672807_420c8bf7d9_o.jpg

They were £2.20 incl post, Hornby bought the whole production and they are for sale on eBay at £20 each. The ones I've bought are about £3.40 (less if you buy more) look very similar.

This is what you find :-)

Cheers - Jim

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jim,

Just been catching up with your latest thread, wonderful stuff. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/02/2024 at 23:09, JimRead said:

I'd always made wagons from card but never thought about locos until I met a guy from Nottingham who had made lots. We had Cardboard Corner at the Nottingham show and had a great laugh about it. He makes coaches and huge 0 Gauge express locos.

Hello Jim,

Was this Peter Dobson? I was looking at his locos from card in March 2005 RM recently if so. Very impressive.

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2024 at 12:16, MAP66 said:

Hello Jim,

Just been catching up with your latest thread, wonderful stuff. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Good of you to say that, you've bcome one of the most impressive modellers on the site, fair play to you.

Cheers - Jim

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2024 at 11:07, Tartaruga said:

Hello Jim,

Was this Peter Dobson? I was looking at his locos from card in March 2005 RM recently if so. Very impressive.

Hello T,

It was not Peter I've not seen his stuff , but then I never buy magazines. :-)

Is he on RMW?

I think the one I know was a member of an RMClub in Nottingham on the right as you go into Nottingham on the A60, Woodborough? [edit] Woodthorpe they used to have a site looks as though that's gone. Blogger is much better and can be turned into one easily and it's Free  Yippee :-)

Cheers - Jim

Edited by JimRead

2 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello T,

It was not Peter I've not seen his stuff , but then I never buy magazines. :-)

Is he on RMW?

I think the one I know was a member of an RMClub in Nottingham on the right as you go into Nottingham on the A60, Woodborough? [edit] Woodthorpe they used to have a site looks as though that's gone. Blogger is much better and can be turned into one easily and it's Free  Yippee :-)

Cheers - Jim

The article gives no mention of him other than he modelled LMS and Midland which made me presume the link with Nottingham.