Peterborough- the end

great northern

There is an Up side to the total destruction of this fabulous layout. I am sure Great Northern will not mind me mentioning that some of his buildings have found their way to Berkshire where they will reside on another superb layout that is familiar to us on here.

Regards,Derek.

post-98-127911956134_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the scale, this is what most Gateshead locos looked like in the '50's. I swear that telegraph pole was straight just before the photo was taken.

Lovelly shot. I've a space 16 x12 to play with and I'm torn between open mainline and station. You've made it harder!

The shed building, with quite a lot of power on view. It is nice to have these lovely pacifics, but the K2 and 02 on view here which are recent arrivals to me really sum up the steam railway as it was. The very clean A3 is 60090 Grand Parade, based at Haymarket and rare as rocking horse **** down South. Whenever I was able to see the afternoon light engine on trial from Doncaster plant it was always a Kings Cross or Grantham engine I had seen many times before, but one sunny afternoon Grand Parade steamed slowly through Retford in this condition, so here she is. John Houlden achieved the finish by using T cut.

Your recollections of 60090 Grand Parade reminded me of a similar event. Like you I rarely saw the Haymarket A3's, much less the Carlisle Canal ones. So leaving Kings Cross, one saturday in 1961, just as we approached Finsbury Park, coming in the opposite direction was an A3 60100 Spearmint, Toram Beg's loco. I can still remember the thrill of seeing a 64B A3 so far south.

And as the O2's and K2's summed up the steam railway for you, so for me it was the K3's, B1's and Austerities which epitomised the railways of the late 1950's.

Ah such memories; happy days!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Your recollections of 60090 Grand Parade reminded me of a similar event. Like you I rarely saw the Haymarket A3's, much less the Carlisle Canal ones. So leaving Kings Cross, one saturday in 1961, just as we approached Finsbury Park, coming in the opposite direction was an A3 60100 Spearmint, Toram Beg's loco. I can still remember the thrill of seeing a 64B A3 so far south.

And as the O2's and K2's summed up the steam railway for you, so for me it was the K3's, B1's and Austerities which epitomised the railways of the late 1950's.

Ah such memories; happy days!

Cheers

Mike

Funnily enough, I saw Spearmint only about three weeks after Grand Parade. On a visit to Doncaster we plucked up courage and sneaked into the Plant at lunchtime. There seemed to ne no-one around at all! And there was Spearmint, absolutely filthy, but soon to emerge with a double chimney. I agree, what wonderful memories. How many others who were then young lads remember events from over 50 years ago so well and with so much pleasure? Well, on reflection, some events, but of a completely different nature. :P ;)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

OK folks, positively the last pictures ever of the old Peterborough, as there's nothing left to point the camera at now. Images again courtesy of BRM and Tony Wright.

post-98-128203543777_thumb.jpg

post-98-128203550871_thumb.jpg

post-98-128203557024_thumb.jpg

The hotel at least will be used on the new layout, and will be in the right place this time.

post-98-128203568139_thumb.jpg

Don't know what happened to the grass in the foreground - it wasn't really that funny colour.

post-98-128203579236_thumb.jpg

One of my all time favourites this one. Great photography, and shows off the genius of Allan Downes to the full.

post-98-128203594739_thumb.jpg

Ah, the power of inanimate objects to move just when you don't want them to. Look at that lamp iron. The signal the WD is passing is up for sale if any one is interested. I'll be putting it in classifieds shortly.

Archived