How to remove transfers without damaging the paint?.

Hi all.

I have been working on this part done LNER G5 conversion I picked up and finished from my local model shop. It was painted in what I think is acrylic matt black paint(Do not think it is enamel). What I want to know is what will be the best method for removing the LNER transfers as the previous owner has placed the far too low to get the loco number in the correct place. Plus I think they are the wrong transfers for this loco. I have some Fox transfers to replace them.

IMG_20240204_132817.jpg

IMG_20240204_132709.jpg

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as that is a transfer rather than OEM factory printing, my approach would be:

First try soaking with water and then scraping off with a blunted cocktail stick or a thumb nail.

If water is not enough to soften / shift it, I would up it to 75% IPA and try the same approach.

I have had success with both before (in one case despite having varnished I was able to lift a locos number transfer from one model and move it onto another successfully).

However, I have found HRMS transfers can be a bit of a pain, leaving behind a faint outline of the transfer.  In this case I have some 3000grit sanding sponges to buff out the damaged area, apply gloss varnish before adding the new transfers and sealing in with a coat of satin / mat varnish.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi @cypherman

I'm on with doing up a couple of scrappy old HD 8f locos. A previous owner had treated them to LMS and LNER transfers. Luckily they hadn't been sealed or varnished over so they came off with nothing more than rubbing with a wet thumb. A couple of stubborn areas came off with a toothpick or thumbnail. I've also had reasonable results with those fibre abrasive pens.

Cheers, Rich

If they haven't been varnished they may possibly be lifted off with sellotape.

A caution however - this assumes that the paint's adhesion to the body is stronger than the tape's adhesion to the paint, which depends on the original painter's preparation standards........

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I did not want to just paint over them as in the past I have tried that and you could see that they were still there. I will start with the cocktail stick method first. I found it a bit odd that the person who started this conversion put them on in the first place as he had only done half the bodywork. No handrails, whistles etc. Maybe he had become fed up and thought dammit enough is enough. One will never know.

They look like HMRS decals, if they are not varnished, they will come off with a cocktail stick.

Sadly that looks something like a SR M7. Loco or similar. Its nothing like a LNER G5 .

One of my G5's for comparison.

IMG_5712.jpeg.dba13da2163b5357dfb59a65efeda4d0.jpeg

A Decal setting solution may soften them enough to come off, something like Microsol, provided they haven't been varnished over. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, micklner said:

They look like HMRS decals, if they are not varnished, they will come off with a cocktail stick.

Sadly that looks something like a SR M7. Loco or similar. Its nothing like a LNER G5 .

One of my G5's for comparison.

IMG_5712.jpeg.dba13da2163b5357dfb59a65efeda4d0.jpeg

Hi micklner,

You are quite right about it's origins. It did start out life as an M7. But if you see my original post some one did quite a lot of work was done to try and change it. I believe some type of kit was used. I just finished it off.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For future reference, ultra fine wet and dry - start with 2000 grade - will remove even sealed transfers without damaging the paint. I've done it several times and can also clean up weathering like that.

The same technique to flatten the paint, plus a bit of polishing with kitchen roll, gives a more "metally" appearance than painted plastic, so I tend to do this anyway as part of normal finishing.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1