RMweb

Up to date decoder list

I could use some information on N scale/2mm decoders, such as best overall economy/performance.

I hear wonders about Zimo, and then train-o-matic Lokommander 2 as a close second as far as regular non sound go.

Lais still the stuff for secondary features?

Loksound are apparently the best audio, but I can't find the one I put away :(

I definitely want to program in speed steps up to a calibrated scale speed, appropriate to the loco job.

It looks like some have brakes functions.

Is there such a thing as an up to date decoder list highlighting all the features of various decoders?

Honestly, you will do best by 'suck it and see'. 'We' don't know exactly what you are looking for in performance, nor do we know what the decoders will be installed in. What I can tell you is that since  Zimo's decoders became available I have used them as ' mechanism tamers': some of my first purchases are now on their fourth or fifth installations; which will be their last because all the old stuff has been replaced. 

Because here's another factor that matters to me. When the mechanism significantly limits the performance - noisy, available speed range limitation, insufficient traction - it isn't going to stay on the layout that long; but you have a good decoder to go into whatever comes next.

11 hours ago, Smalltrainsgreatpains said:

...best overall economy/performance...

Now this is something that also concerns me. I started with Lenz decoders, having tested all that was then readily available in the UK, and they were the stand out at that time. I continue to use Lenz decoders in everything where they deliver the required performance,  which is the majority of current RTR OO mechanisms. These are a couple of quid cheaper than Zimo, and I will have that saving, I see DCC as a utility, no need to spend more than absolutely necessary. The situation is likely to be different for decoders that fit in N locos, that you need to explore for yourself.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

….

Now this is something that also concerns me. I started with Lenz decoders, having tested all that was then readily available in the UK, and they were the stand out at that time. I continue to use Lenz decoders in everything where they deliver the required performance,  which is the majority of current RTR OO mechanisms. These are a couple of quid cheaper than Zimo, and I will have that saving, I see DCC as a utility, no need to spend more than absolutely necessary. The situation is likely to be different for decoders that fit in N locos, that you need to explore for yourself.

Exactly the same here (Note: I don’t require sound). My Lenz decoders have proven most reliable, but the finesse with which the slow running characteristics obtained from Zimo decoders now make their “budget” version my weapon of choice - when I can get them!
Zimo decoders are particularly useful where mechanisms and/or gearing ratios are not of the first order.

Example 1:

Hornby “Castle” 4-6-0 (R3619) fitted with a Lenz Standard V2 decoder - cannot be configured to creep away from standstill, always going from around a scale 0 - 3mph.  Replace with Zimo MX600R and the wheels easing gently into motion.

Example 2:

Dapol D1 4-4-0 (4S-028-004) fitted with Lenz Next18 decoder - same as above. Hard wired with Zimo MX600R and she starts away beautifully.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Honestly, you will do best by 'suck it and see'. 'We' don't know exactly what you are looking for in performance, nor do we know what the decoders will be installed in. What I can tell you is that since  Zimo's decoders became available I have used them as ' mechanism tamers': some of my first purchases are now on their fourth or fifth installations; which will be their last because all the old stuff has been replaced. 

Because here's another factor that matters to me. When the mechanism significantly limits the performance - noisy, available speed range limitation, insufficient traction - it isn't going to stay on the layout that long; but you have a good decoder to go into whatever comes next.

I have also tried many decoders over the years and came back to Lenz

Those that I didn't like: Digitrax, TCS, Hornby (especially!).

Those that I like: Lenz, Zimo (apart from the weird speed curve settings), Train o Matic.

As you say, Zimo seem to have good slow speed control with certain mechanisms, however my latest install is a Lenz Silver + Plux 22 in a Kernow Steam Railmotor, it is absolutely superb with brilliant slow speed control and nice linear action.

N.B. I normally use Lenz Standard + but not available with anything other than 8 pin.

Other maker's Plux 22s seemed to be very thin on the ground and I found 2 Lenz ones at £35ea, more than I am usually prepared to pay.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

...I normally use Lenz Standard + but not available with anything other than 8 pin...

Me too, some folks very surprised by the amount of hard wiring I do. But this is the cheapest high performance decoder available, just ten minutes with a soldering iron and all done. (I want to run trains and have lights switchable - essentially so they are off - nothing more.)

...Zimo (apart from the weird speed curve settings)...

I have never noticed this, but then I never actually use the factory settings! This is because (and this applies to whatever decoder is installed) I immediately redefine the curve to meet my requirements: set the start voltage as low as possible for a reliable start, trim maximum speed to scale maximum, move mid speed to where I want it, and all done.

I will have to try a reset on an MX600 and see what the speed curve is like.

Those that I didn't like: Digitrax, TCS, Hornby (especially!).

How Hornby get away with their basic decoder is inexplicable. My encounters have been with their DCC fitted, when that happens to be lowest price for a particular model. Every example, the mechanism with the decoder removed when run on a DC resistance controller,  has outperformed the slow speed running with the supplied decoder installed. In short the mechanism with an unsophisticated DC supply outperforms the decoder!

• Like 1

I got a hold of a train-o-matic LoKommander, and an FDMicro, not much difference in price from Lais.  Plus nearly as as tiny as the Loksound 4.  

It will take some figuring out with JMRI to program.  

It makes sense about differing decoder/motor combinations, as decoders are basically advanced speed controllers with varying frequencies.

I'm not sure this is clear to raw beginners, as there seems to be a little more to it than strait up plug and play.

Time to make my own list.

I try to use Zimo where possible, never had a problem with them in N or OO. For N gauge the CT Elecktoniks were brilliant, but sadly now seem to have disappeared, although I picked up a few on Ebay recently. The newer Bachmann 6 pin chips are made by Zimo and have the same features.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/02/2024 at 20:07, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

How Hornby get away with their basic decoder is inexplicable.

If it was £10 you could understand it but approaching £30? It's a joke with hardly any options and poor motor control.

It's about time they did what some others such as Bachmann do and get a badged version of a modern decoder.

The R8249 is only really a R8215 with better (🙂) firmware.

12 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

For N gauge the CT Elecktoniks were brilliant, but sadly now seem to have disappeared

I only ever used one for a friend's ultra compact project, and it was excellent. I believe the owner of this business was also the decoder designer and had previously been with Zimo. Definitely no longer available, I would suspect the person concerned has moved on to something yet more profitable, there's always going to be demand for such skills.

15 hours ago, Smalltrainsgreatpains said:

Time to make my own list.

If you go ahead with this, I am sure many would welcome the information you are prepared to share.

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

If it was £10 you could understand it but approaching £30? It's a joke with hardly any options and poor motor control.

It's about time they did what some others such as Bachmann do and get a badged version of a modern decoder.

The R8249 is only really a R8215 with better (🙂) firmware.

Hornby have, since Zero 1 was made obsolete by NRMA standards done the bare minimum I feel.

Their controllers (Select and Elite) and their decoders are NRMA DCC compliant but implement the bare minimum. I particularly dislike their lack of robust short circuit protection, the only decoders I've ever seen go up in smoke were both Hornby when being driven by a Select. Not for me..

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

Hornby have, since Zero 1 was made obsolete by NRMA standards done the bare minimum I feel.

Their controllers (Select and Elite) and their decoders are NRMA DCC compliant but implement the bare minimum. I particularly dislike their lack of robust short circuit protection, the only decoders I've ever seen go up in smoke were both Hornby when being driven by a Select. Not for me..

Cheers

Dave

IIRC the select is not NMRA compliant, although the Elite is.

The Elite is also a silly price with a RRP of £326.75, you're into decent system prices.

I started with Lenz many years ago and always seem to come back to them, currently the Silver & a few Gold.

For various reasons I dislike Digitrax, TCS, Hornby, Lais, Train-O-Matic & Concepts.

Not overkeen on the Gaugemaster ones for general use (the wires are a bit short & heavy). However, with the Power Packs they have transformed the running of a couple of Trix OHE's I have - these are basically Marklin models configured for two-rail & only pick up on two axles.

The only sound locomotives I have are factory fitted so "I get what I'm given".

I've used Zimo in a number of very small locomotives (where space is a premium) with good results.

10 minutes ago, chiefpenguin said:

I started with Lenz many years ago and always seem to come back to them, currently the Silver & a few Gold.

For various reasons I dislike Digitrax, TCS, Hornby, Lais, Train-O-Matic & Concepts.

Not overkeen on the Gaugemaster ones for general use (the wires are a bit short & heavy). However, with the Power Packs they have transformed the running of a couple of Trix OHE's I have - .....

Gaugemaster rebadge decoders designed by others.    Currently they sell rebadged Digitrax decoders.  

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Gaugemaster rebadge decoders designed by others.    Currently they sell rebadged Digitrax decoders.  

I am aware of that & the fact that a lot of badge engineering goes on -  IIRC the decoders I used are early issue. TBH, I don't really care who made them as they do the job.

However, I did not have much sucess with any Digitrax badged decoders.

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

IIRC the select is not NMRA compliant, although the Elite is.

The Elite is also a silly price with a RRP of £326.75, you're into decent system prices.

Always thought the Select was compliant, not capable, merely compliant. You're correct it doesn't even meet that lowly standard 
Cheers

Dave