Modelzone announces new Birmingham flagship store

'CHARD

Teasingly, that article tells you everything except where the shop is!

However, a couple of further clicks led me to this page, which shows the shop to be on Bull Street, in the old Music Zone premises (not that I remember Music Zone, I'm just going from the Google Street View images... basically, it's just down and across from the old Virgin store. Amazing how many records shops there aren't in Birmingham these days.

I think I'll try to visit Modelzone on the opening weekend - you never know what sort of silly offers there may be for the first few days. Seeing the branding on their website, I realise that I've visited their shops at Merry Hill at Derby already, but this looks to be a much bigger store.

I don't use them usually (just 'browse' at the Merry Hill store) but occasionaly they do have some very good bargains, either at the Sales or when they're trying to shift old stock. Once I got a 1:50 scale Greyhound Bus (close enough for US O scale) for less than a third RRP. I've also seen Aristocraft train sets for £100 or so. Just remember to look UP, as well as at the lower shelves..!! ;)

I don't use them usually (just 'browse' at the Merry Hill store) but occasionaly they do have some very good bargains, either at the Sales or when they're trying to shift old stock. Once I got a 1:50 scale Greyhound Bus (close enough for US O scale) for less than a third RRP. I've also seen Aristocraft train sets for £100 or so. Just remember to look UP, as well as at the lower shelves..!! ;)

A fair amount of Skaledale reduced by 30% or to half-price at the Merry Hill store yesterday.

According to staff there, the Birmingham shop will be substantially larger than the present Holborn flagship, at 7,000 sq ft I'm not surprised!

A fair amount of Skaledale reduced by 30% or to half-price at the Merry Hill store yesterday.

According to staff there, the Birmingham shop will be substantially larger than the present Holborn flagship, at 7,000 sq ft I'm not surprised!

Well, I popped in briefly this lunchtime, and was very pleasantly surprised.

OK, so there's not a huge amount of railway stuff - a bit more than the Alien down the road, for sure, but not a vast range. Nonetheless, there's a good stock of British OO, a smattering of HO, both European and US, and some N, too (UK & US). It's all nicely laid out, at the far end of the shop from the entrance, under some fake railway arches! There's also a good-sized Hornby layout, about 8x4-ish, which I'd describe as part way between toy and model, and which forms a good focal point.

There's a sizeable range of plastic kits, from aircraft to military, cars to sci-fi, and an extremely wide selection of diecast vehicles, mainly 1:43, all beautifully displayed.

On top of that, there's radio-controlled stuff, film-related figurines (Luke Skywalker for £300+, anyone?!) and a really big stock of Scalextric.

As well as the Hornby layout, there's what looks to be an LGB track running from end to end by the window, a small radio-control play area, and 2 Scalextric layouts set up to play with, so there's plenty going on.

All in all, a really attractive shop - spectacular, I'd say. So nice is it, in fact, that I'm struggling to see how it will stay in business in the centre of England's second city, selling quality stuff at fairly high prices. Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying the goods were over-priced (indeed, there were a few decent offers around if you took the time to look), although the thought of how much the total stock must have been worth nearly brought me out in a sweat. No, the shop was everything I could have asked for in a modern model shop. I just don't know how long a flagship store such as this will survive in what must be an extremely expensive spot to do business.

There were staff everywhere - OK, so this was the opening day, so perhaps every employee was in work today, but there must have been 15 staff on duty, which gives you some idea of just how big a 7000sq ft shop is!

One little novelty for the railway modeller perhaps: I spotted a radio-controlled fire engine, marked down from £19.99 to £9.99. Actually, I think it's been mentioned on this site before. Anyway, it was labelled as 1:87 scale, but it was bigger than that, I'm sure. I'd put it down at 1:72 or thereabouts, so it might make a fun addition to an OO layout.

Guest jim s-w

One little novelty for the railway modeller perhaps: I spotted a radio-controlled fire engine, marked down from £19.99 to £9.99. Actually, I think it's been mentioned on this site before. Anyway, it was labelled as 1:87 scale, but it was bigger than that, I'm sure. I'd put it down at 1:72 or thereabouts, so it might make a fun addition to an OO layout.

These Steve?

RCfireengine.jpg

Cheers

Jim

These Steve?

The cab was the same, but it wasn't the engine with the ladder as above. It was the full "van" type (that's not what they're called, I know - what I mean is, the type with a back full of cabinets and cubby-holes), but just like the one in your picture, it was nearer OO than HO, as you've found out for yourself, obviosuly!

I found myself in Birmingham today so I speculated a short while for a browse, and I was rather impressed. I found myself very close to picking up one of the new TPOs (of which there were plenty in all guises) whilst my girlfriend was content to watch the train go round on the layout and squeeze the bags of scatter... unsure.gif

I can see myself going in there quite regularly, they have good prices on the Hornby 153s by the way. :)

One little novelty for the railway modeller perhaps: I spotted a radio-controlled fire engine... labelled as 1:87 scale, but it was bigger than that, I'm sure. I'd put it down at 1:72 or thereabouts, so it might make a fun addition to an OO layout.

:rolleyes: uh-oh... cue next year's "Every Exhibition Layout Cliche".... :D :D :D

The shop itself sounds a bit like the old Beatties used to be...? ;)

Took our turn to call once Steve had finished his watch, and during the mid afternoon slot business was brisk, with the inevitable sole traders in evidence but plenty of couples and families too. In fairness, the visit was partly from curiosity as to how it would compare with Holborn (more spacious), Brighton (more spacious) and Merry Hill (more spacious), reasonably enough given its generous footprint.

So, my pal and I were delighted to notice, in this more spacious store teeming with effusive assistants, a healthy offering of aftermaket bits and pieces like plastic strip,Wills scenic products and a range of Oxford diecast to rival the Alien's, where we decamped afterwards. The Scalextric was particularly interesting as it was apparently hosting a very animated Cougar touring car challenge at 3pm, which made for a pleasant distraction as the staff struggled to drive the checkouts.

A few Hornby coaches reduced to £19.99, plenty of Postals (yes, it had its allocation!) and very good browsing cabinets where multiple units were luxuriating opulently. I'd like to think it can hold its own with the competition (by which I mean Game Zone and everyone else vying for the £-leisure), and even possibly attract people in or back to the hobby, including here the related genres it caters for - military kits, high-end die cast, sci-fi and movie spin offs etc...

7/10, recommended.

For fans of: Beatties, slot-car mums, browsing, open-jawed emo girlfriends, Birmingham city centre

...curiosity as to how it would compare with ... Merry Hill (more spacious), reasonably enough given its generous footprint.

I should hope so- the Merry Hill one couldn't be much smaller..!!! :D

I am debating whether to risk taking my lad there (cue wallet implosion!) or have a Solo Recce first... :unsure:

I am debating whether to risk taking my lad there (cue wallet implosion!) or have a Solo Recce first... unsure.gif

A tough call - if he likes Stars Wars or high-end diecast cars, it could get messy...

On the other hand, tell him it's a museum, and steer him towards the Scalextric and the radio-controlled forklift truck!

Someone must be doing OK in the recession then - Modelzone opened in Norwich last month.

Managed to pop in to look around this Norwich store today (where Kellers were in the

Glasshouse opposite Castle Mall if you know Norwich). Only Hornby - nothing else - in the railway

department but plenty of other modelling areas like a/c, radio control, buses etc. Bit

disappointed I suppose so had to go up to the Bure Valley to assuage this disappointment

and buy four Bachmann Mk1s in carmine and cream.

Archived