ICI open bogie wagon

F2Andy

I am part way through making a model of an open wagon that ICI used ca. 1980. I am sure I had photos of it at one time, but cannot find any now.

They were later used by Redland, and I can find an image from then.

70 ton Bogie Open Tile Wagon.

In the ICI day they had partitions dividing the wagon into three parts, and this is what I am modelling. And I must have seen an image to model it! 

Anyone able to help?

• Like 2

Thanks a lot. I looked on the site, and I just could not see it!

Further question: Could any one say what colour they are? I see two images of them in ICI livery, taken at Stoke Wagon repairs in 1981, and there is an ICI logo on the right end. I am red-green colour blind, but my feeling is there are very faded red? Pinkish grey maybe? Bachman do an ICI open for 009, and I wonder if these would have been the same red originally?

Edited by F2Andy

• RMweb Gold

Not come across these before.  Can anyone tell what these, and the earlier 'Tubes' carried, please?  Pallets of sacks?  Sacks loaded loose?  Thanks.

Barrels (of curious stuff) ................................ at least to Willesden anyway

I have constructed one utilising spare side doors from the Parkside Pipe wagon kit (they were available as spare sprues once upon a time)

Edited by Southernman46
  • Thanks 1

My Epson scanners software has decided it will not recognise slides, so I have used the demonstration version from Hamrick.

This is a colour slide I acquired about thirty years ago and it looks like it could be the RTC at Derby.

Livery appears to be varnished timber, orange solebar but no idea about the ends.

PR53XX.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, C126 said:

Not come across these before.  Can anyone tell what these, and the earlier 'Tubes' carried, please?  Pallets of sacks?  Sacks loaded loose?  Thanks.

My understanding is they carried pallets 45-gallon drums in the end compartment, and larger drums on cradles in the centre. I guess it was for lower volume chemicals (i.e., less than a tank wagon) between sites.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of larger drums - on a visit to Townsend Hook papermill at Snodland in early 1980s we saw liquid chlorine in yellow 1 ton cylinders - laid flat, would fit nicely in thoe cradles. Used for water treatment (anti microbial) - bigger mills like APM took liquid chlorine in tank wagons (4w then bogie like the Triang Murgatroyd ones).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Wouldn't that be great updated model to have - Rapido are you listening ?

Although there are a few different diagrams, an excellent idea.

I've got about 500 pics of the one at Butterley, quite a few with a tape measure in view, I got part way through a scratchbuild, and then this new fangled technology got in the way which I thought was a better route to take!

Mike.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Although there are a few different diagrams, an excellent idea.

I've got about 500 pics of the one at Butterley, quite a few with a tape measure in view, I got part way through a scratchbuild, and then this new fangled technology got in the way which I thought was a better route to take!

Mike.

There were a number of other early bogie tanks of similar proportions, some of which were built in wartime for the ministry of food (I think) and later used by ICI and Henry Diaper.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When APM to had adapt its siding and unloading gantry to accomodate the bogie tank wagons, the drawing of the wagon supplied for reference was lettered for Murgatroyds. I saw a Triang one in a charity shop window in Wokingham years ago - it was unfortunately a Sunday evening so I couldn't buy it.

Edited by Artless Bodger
Sense
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Artless Bodger said:

When APM to had adapt its siding and unloading gantry to accomodate the bogie tank wagons, the drawing of the wagon supplied for reference was lettered for Murgatroyds. I saw a Triang one in a charity shop window in Wokingham years ago - it was unfortunately a Sunday evening so I couldn't buy it.

TBPH the Triang one bears only a passing resemblance to the prototype.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

TBPH the Triang one bears only a passing resemblance to the prototype.

Mike.

...... but is capable of being 'got at' to produce respectable models of the prototype - I even managed to produce both lagged and unlagged versions.

CJI.

On 18/02/2024 at 21:20, F2Andy said:

My understanding is they carried pallets 45-gallon drums in the end compartment, and larger drums on cradles in the centre. I guess it was for lower volume chemicals (i.e., less than a tank wagon) between sites.

Some went on to Redland Roof Tile traffic, then went in to the TML (later Eurotunnel) for used by the maintenance department. They could sometimes be seen from the A20. Not sure about their current situation.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/02/2024 at 13:44, Fat Controller said:

Some went on to Redland Roof Tile traffic, then went in to the TML (later Eurotunnel) for used by the maintenance department. They could sometimes be seen from the A20. Not sure about their current situation.

Last place I was aware of any is British Steel Scunthorpe that had some reduced to flats and were being used internally for carrying plate.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2024 at 11:17, cctransuk said:

...... but is capable of being 'got at' to produce respectable models of the prototype - I even managed to produce both lagged and unlagged versions.

CJI.

Any chance of some photos, please?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, C126 said:

Any chance of some photos, please?

These have been posted in the past - but since you asked .....

Capture_00024.JPG.91e983228e6d174dba569eb130f99343.JPG

Capture_00025.JPG.b7b04e528261ee07a96b9a3aa9b675e6.JPG

Capture_00026.JPG.ab8502fbf891eca34dad8b50ffe6d402.JPG

Capture_00027.JPG.be5608c766bcf91dfbb30caed03b88b5.JPG

The greatest improvement by far is to narrow the chassis moulding, and fit Ratio diamond frame bogies.

The lagged examples have had the Tri-ang tanks replaced by larger diameter ones, made up from Airfix tank wagon components; strapping is brass shim strip.

Whilst on the subject of tank wagons, below are some more results of my 'tank wagon hacking' period.

Capture_00019.JPG.8655cf35fda77a8d1d518dd94b752ab0.JPG

Capture_00020.JPG.4af24644f0d49ce1831b799e226e7dec.JPG

Capture_00021.JPG.2705287be1c650c1d73f0dcb278a73d3.JPG

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1