Peterborough North

great northern

Yes indeed, and symptomatic of my attitude when I started this layout. Basically it was " I need some GN water cranes. Oh, jolly good, I've got some of those Mike's Models ones" 

All the more reason to keep posting the models posed like the photos of the real thing. Much easier to spot when they are side by side

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Er...yes...spot on with your nasty feeling (sorry about that). Low melt soldering, to boot, as these are whitemetal parts.

To cut them? Nothing more complex than a good 'ol junior hacksaw - with a spot of filing to clean up afterwards.

Whilst I'm on - the bags. Those provided with the kits aren't terribly convincing IMHO. I've made my own out of nothing more fancy than toilet paper (honest!), rolled into shape then drowned with diluted PVA coloured black. I then squash it flat and let it set. Works for me!

Er...yes...spot on with your nasty feeling (sorry about that). Low melt soldering, to boot, as these are whitemetal parts.

To cut them? Nothing more complex than a good 'ol junior hacksaw - with a spot of filing to clean up afterwards.

Whilst I'm on - the bags. Those provided with the kits aren't terribly convincing IMHO. I've made my own out of nothing more fancy than toilet paper (honest!), rolled into shape then drowned with diluted PVA coloured black. I then squash it flat and let it set. Works for me!

Hmmm. Never done any low melt soldering, nor do I have a suitable iron. I totally agree about the bags by the way, and keep meaning to get round to it.

• RMweb Premium

Another way of possibly re-joining the arm after cutting and avoiding soldering might be to drill holes in the centre of each part to be joined and put in a length of brass rod (or thick wire) and then superglue together.

But then someone comes to the rescue. Very many thanks Alan, I wouldn't have thought of it, but I should be able to do it. :good: :)

• Like 1

The last set of photographs was a bit of a disaster, as they were taken at the North end, where a couple of signals have taken a knock. I've straightened them as best I can, but the camera of course makes them look awful, so nearly all are in the bin.

:O :o :O

The photos, I hope; not the signals!

The last set of photographs was a bit of a disaster, as they were taken at the North end, where a couple of signals have taken a knock. I've straightened them as best I can, but the camera of course makes them look awful, so nearly all are in the bin. I've cropped this first shot to take out the worst one. Other than that, I will resist the temptation to say what I think of it.

attachicon.gif538 grainy.jpg

60538 leaving with the 1100 Glasgow by the way.

On the Up main, but travelling wrong line, which was permitted, a J6 takes a short goods from South Yard to New England. This gives the opportunity to have that concrete post signal in the off position deliberately rather than inadvertently. I quite expected the sun to wipe out the arm anyway, but it relented.

attachicon.giftrip.jpg

This was an attempt at burning out the sky and the poles, but it didn't.

Shot of 60538 - you sure that wasn't on the cover of 'Trains Illustrated'? It's even got the slightly inferior printing and paper quality!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

Thanks to you and LNER4479 for posting the shots of the water cranes and the debates about them. I've got som of the Mikes Models ones too and hadn't liked the extra swan neck. If it's easier, I'm happy to chop mine up and resolder them and send you the results. I have done a bit of low melt soldering in my time and have the relevant bits of kit, so just sing out if that would work.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Thanks to you and LNER4479 for posting the shots of the water cranes and the debates about them. I've got som of the Mikes Models ones too and hadn't liked the extra swan neck. If it's easier, I'm happy to chop mine up and resolder them and send you the results. I have done a bit of low melt soldering in my time and have the relevant bits of kit, so just sing out if that would work.

Cheers

Tony

That is very generous of you Tony, and I may take you up on it. First though I shall have a go at my spare bits myself, as I really do want to push myself a bit further if I can. I wouldn't fancy the soldering, even if I had the right equipment, but I should be able to follow Alan's suggestion a few posts above.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No images left today, though there will be a development tomorrow which will be featured, and yet more progress to record on Sunday. I am going to put up a heavy crop of a prototype photo though, as I wonder if any one can tell me if this can be made into a backscene, and if so if you know of anyone, or Company, that can do it.

post-98-0-35984000-1454626587_thumb.jpg

I was looking at this photo earlier, the one with Deltic held at signals, and wondering whether I could do a better job of replicating it now. I decided I couldn't because of the view on the left, and then realised that all those silhouettes behind the wagons on the left, plus the Baker Perkins building at the end are exactly what is needed in that corner.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't be too much effort to cut this out in Photoshop if it was just the silhouette you were after Gilbert. Probably best to work with the original, happy to give it a go if you want as you can use the polygonal lasso tool to chop out the relevant bits, then fill in using the clone stamp tool. I've used a local printing firm to print out my backdrop from the tidied up photoshopped image so they could do something like that once you had to the final image, or even just some A3 printouts to start to see if it works.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G has done a cracking job on finishing these off and they didn't fall off during the circuit(s).

What impressed me was the really neat spacing between the Kitchen Car and adjoining coaches but G has min 36" curves I believe. If you want one of these fine Comet sets and have tighter curves then a little fettling of the 'couplings' would be easy to do to achieve a little more spacing.

Pity that bloke looks as if he has had too much medication, however he did remain awake for almost all the afternoon session (I'm told.)

Gilbert is not aware that this set is the first I've seen completed and running successfully after a part build by me. No other 'client' (other than Rob Sweet) has ever posted me pics of things they have received and finished/had finished. Perhaps it's because the others (and there are/were quite a few) have not finished them?

Sincerely, 

HRH Medicated Ducky.

P.S. that loco is very handsome and also very powerful for a 'ornby machine. Oh, I've just noticed what it is..............(he lies). :nono:

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Just a reminder........

attachicon.gifImg_0105.jpg

Phil

It really does puzzle me how anyone could receive something like that and then not complete it. :scratchhead:  It took me a long time, but I'm pleased that I persevered, and resisted the temptation either to give up, or to say " Oh that'll have to do". My bits are far from perfect, but it is certainly the best I'm capable of, at the moment, and seeing it running round the layout made the effort and the occasional frustration well worth while. If I'd thought to have swear box, I'd have enough for another loco by now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those are fantastic and a real inspiration. For some reason, I have a real liking for articulated coaches. I guess it's because they weren't really seen on the network in the 80s... Similarly i like slip coaches!

David

I seem to remember the GWR had some artics. I can't really remember if they were all rebuilt? Artics seem to have been a 1930s thing and then came along the APT!

Phil

I seem to remember the GWR had some artics. I can't really remember if they were all rebuilt? Artics seem to have been a 1930s thing and then came along the APT!

Phil

Yes though I don't think they lasted very long sadly. But ultimately I'm not going to let facts stand in the way of what I want to build. Worsley do an etch of them. I'm planning to have a crack when I've built up enough confidence.

David

• RMweb Premium

Phil

They had some nice suburban steel bodied artics that they used on their Liverpool Street services, with one them there Met Rly electric engines pulling them from Paddington. At the same time the LNER were making their Quad Arts and the LMS were still using ex MR close coupled 4 wheelers. The Met Rly had their loco hauled coaches, which included a couple of Pullmans. All could be seen at the same time at places like Farringdon and Moorgate. As for the Mets EMUs, some were even lettered with GWR joint ownership they were nice but not as good as the District sets that worked the circle line. One day I will make a model of Farringdon in the 1920s. :yes: