RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I am now even more puzzled than usual, if that is possible. :scratchhead: I though that second one was too dark, and that the ballast colour looked all wrong. Never mind, so long as you like them, that's what matters. And here is another B17 shot for Rob.

post-98-0-65131900-1483371845_thumb.jpg

No photoshopping at all on this one.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now the madness is over I shall venture into some shops this morning, and then off to golf, so here are a couple more quick shots. First one features the 9F, though the B17 still gets a look in.

post-98-0-22563100-1483432619_thumb.jpg

and then we have Woolwinder arriving with the afternoon express from Harrogate, as the 9F slows for the wait for a path into the yards.

post-98-0-05768800-1483432699_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Did Woolwinder not have that (useless) smoke deflector fitted behind the chimney when it got the double nostrils - or is it the distant view that's fooling me?

Perplexed.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Did Woolwinder not have that (useless) smoke deflector fitted behind the chimney when it got the double nostrils - or is it the distant view that's fooling me?

Perplexed.

Chaz

After being fitted with the Kylechap system, Woolwinder ran for a few months without any form of smoke deflector.

• RMweb Premium

Black 5 = LSWR Class N on Steroids.

P

Possibly - but that was a GWR 4300 on steroids itself - and of course, Sir William was basically a Swindon man at heart until he saw the light.

Now let's give the thread back to GIlbert for his excellent photos.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly - but that was a GWR 4300 on steroids itself - and of course, Sir William was basically a Swindon man at heart until he saw the light.

Now let's give the thread back to GIlbert for his excellent photos.

Ah, but the LNER didn't need to use steroids you see, not when Sir Nigel was in charge. However, if it were to be suggested that a black five was a better engine in service than B17, I wouldn't protest too much. If it were suggested that it was better looking though... :nono: :threaten:

• RMweb Premium

Black 5 = LSWR Class N on Steroids.

P

?? - What is a LSWR Class N when it is at home?

I can recognise a SECR later SR Class N 2-6-0, which has a relationship to a GWR 43xx, but I wasn't aware of an LSWR class N!

I reckon though that a GWR Modified Hall would see off the Black 5 and the B17 - and look rather smart doing it! - But then I like GWR locos as well as LNER ones.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

This morning we have another A3, this time Hermit, and on the Northumbrian, though without headboard. Still single blast, and nineteen months since last overhaul, so perhaps a strange choice for a prestige train? Perhaps a late replacement, hence no headboard?

post-98-0-00315700-1483525460_thumb.jpg

and a bit closer.

post-98-0-88769600-1483525503_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

?? - What is a LSWR Class N when it is at home?

I can recognise a SECR later SR Class N 2-6-0, which has a relationship to a GWR 43xx, but I wasn't aware of an LSWR class N!

I reckon though that a GWR Modified Hall would see off the Black 5 and the B17 - and look rather smart doing it! - But then I like GWR locos as well as LNER ones.

Regards

Chris H

Of course. How could I not have remembered that. 

I shall rephrase my remark then......an N on the LSWR. How's that?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

After a coat of thinking about it I think I have isolated my issue with B17's - it's that titchy tender.  Looks OK on a 1500 (B12) but it is just not in keeping with the bigger loco.  Yes, I know why they had them.....so it would have to be a 'Footbaalla'  from the late batch for me with a group standard tender, but as an avowed hater of the game, I'm not inclined to have one.  Wasn't one re-named?  Off to have a look!

I have a beard....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ha - Newcastle United was re-named!  Best thing for it.....as a Geordie footie hater!

Newcastle United was indeed renamed, to The Essex Regiment. That's no good to you though, as it got a GE tender. It's group standard tender went to 61647 Helmingham Hall, so, if you wanted a Sandringham with a big tender, that's the one. Horrible name though.