RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

6 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Wicky Pedia :- On 17 July 1948, locomotive No. 60508 Duke of Rothesay was hauling a passenger train when it became derailed inside Barnet Tunnel, Hertfordshire due to a combination of faulty track and excessive speed. The whole train was subsequently derailed on points at New Southgate, London. One person was killed.

I think the Wiki report is somewhat unfair insofar as it implies blame on the driver, Bill Hoole, for excessive speed. This was one of those tragedies that occur when a number of small things conspire together.

It the time there was a general 60mph speed limit South of Peterborough while track was being restored to its pre- war standard. 6 days before the crash the length gang had carried out their quarterly inspection and certain rail joints were found to have dropped. These were repaired by packing.  There were no complaints by drivers using that section of track over the next 6 days. There was conflicting evidence about how frequently these joints needed packing. The joint that needed packing was repair by the ganger lengthman , an experienced man with over 40 years service. He said he packed the joint to give 1/2 inch raise on the rail joint because in his experience once trains started running over it, it would  be  pushed down to the correct level. After the accident the raise was found to be around 3/4 inch but there was no explanation how this could have happened . The Inquires general conclusion was that this was probably dangerous with the context of a 60mph speed limit but there was absolutely no margin for error. 

Turning now to the speed, for some reason the LNER had removed speed recorders before the war and never replaced them Bill Hoole said he shut off steam three miles earlier at the start of slightly falling gradients at an estimated 60 mph and said he didn’t think a large mixed traffic engine of that type would increase its speed with steam shut off. The New Southgate . signalman said the engine was under steam when it passed him but he thought it was still only travelling at the usual 60/65mph. 

When the engine derailed and eventually turned on its side it de- coupled itself from the rest of the train and fortunately there were no serious injuries on the train . Tragically though, the fire man managed to get off the engine only to be struck by the train and killed.

The Inquiry concluded that the primary cause of the accident was the faulty track repair. No blame was attached to Bill Hoole     but concluded that in the 3 miles on falling gradients his speed slowly crept up to perhaps 70mph without him realising the small increase. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

9 hours ago, great northern said:

I know that Duke of Rothesay did derail and overturn in the late 40s, but it was down in the London suburbs. There are photos of the aftermath.

Yes I don't know why I thought it was near Edinburgh, shame on me, my apologies. Bill Hoole was the driver anyway. 

Curiously I have read much on the accident and viewed the many photos and it never once occurred to me that it was near London...   how weird is that? I guess I made an assumption associating Thompsons engine with Scotland, very lazy of me.    I'll take more medication... 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, David Bell said:

Undoubtedly handsome, and also still with us in the shape of Maude. I am so glad Hornby chose to release this model!

20210128_125113.jpg

Looks like I should be paying more attention to what asked in the first place! Spent too much time watching sport on tv yesterday in between doing a range of small jobs in the railway room.

So for this poll I'll go for the NB Atlantic, a very imposing looking loco.

Edited by Woodcock29
Added my choice
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, David Bell said:

They are Hornby CR coaches from a limited edition set which included CR123 and a further coach. They are of course hopelessly inaccurate but the livery is well done. I plan to remove the mk1 ends and bogies and replace them and they need an interior too. It is a task a long way down on the to do list!

My goodness David! They look a lot nicer than the original Tri-angs of yore!

• RMweb Premium

A conclusive winner, NB Atlantic with 9 votes.

We will continue with pre grouping companies, but stick to those about which the majority are likely to have some knowledge. Right down to the other end of the UK now, and to look for glaring omissions from preservation in the locomotives of the LBSCR.

• RMweb Premium

I'm tempted by that no-nonsense workhorse, the C2X, but in the end I have to choose the I3 4-4-2 tanks, that showed the LNWR a thing or two about efficiency and economy on the Sunny South Express (with or without whitewashed coal...).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, great northern said:

We will continue with pre grouping companies, but stick to those about which the majority are likely to have some knowledge. Right down to the other end of the UK now, and to look for glaring omissions from preservation in the locomotives of the LBSCR.

Using the US senate method of voting despite being on the side with the most votes I am a loser.

Brighton locos, so many nice ones, their mogul, their atlantic tanks, their pacific tanks and their baltic tanks. 

I think today I will nominate a J class 4-6-2T

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Using the US senate method of voting despite being on the side with the most votes I am a loser.

Brighton locos, so many nice ones, their mogul, their atlantic tanks, their pacific tanks and their baltic tanks. 

I think today I will nominate a J class 4-6-2T

A K. 2.6.0 one of which was nearly saved by the Bluebell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, great northern said:

And tomorrow, I thought,I shall cast my vote for the Highland Railway Clan class 4-6-0. There is a plan that went South! Need my thinking cap on now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Ah, your logic doesn't work for a north country bumpkin like me. I was quite happy wandering the wilds of Scotland; I know next to diddly-squat about the LBSCR. Wasn't somebody there colour blind and thought yellow was green? Mind you, I do enjoy my visits to the Bluebell railway; a stunning selection of pre-grouping locos and rolling stock.

CIMG5213.JPG.7b2caf831d0ea6487cbb74ef4de78670.JPG (Wrong company, but you get the idea)

So the only thing I have any real knowledge about in terms of lost locos is the Brighton Atlantic project so I'll vote for that. If deemed inappropriate due to it being more than 50% complete then I'll happily sit this one out and look forward to the poll on the Maryport and Carlisle Railway ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The LBSCR is my 'home road' as I went to skool in Dorking and started my career selling tickets there. I can become quite wistful thinking back to Victorian times and 'West Brighton' and 'Barcelona', on the cusp of the Stroudley/Billinton eras. A number of candidate locos come to mind. The B2 4-4-0 was distinctly elegant, as might be imagined, given that Robert Billinton had worked under Johnson at Derby, but they weren't over-powerful. Their bigger sisters, the B4s, had more puissance, but did not fare well in comparison with T9 or L1 from their local rivals, once the Southern began making comparisons. As others have said, the K was successful, but I always felt they didn't look quite right. But handsome is as handsome does where locos are concerned! The big tanks did as was needed, but are perhaps not my style. However, the Atlantic tanks are another matter, and I concur with St E and others that the I3 is the loco I most regret is no longer around. 

• Like 2

As has been said already, an exceptional range of attractive locos. It’s a pity there can only be one winner. In addition to those others mentioned I have a soft spot for the E5 tanks. 
However after much soul searching I have to join those who voted for the I 3 tanks, not just good lookers but one of the LBSCRs more successful designs

• Like 1