Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 30368 said:

I am afraid that it may be a tattoo!

Kind regards,

Richard B

No, she appears to have been very well brought up, so that would not be the case in 1958. She got a bit agitated when I mentioned it, anyway.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

13 minutes ago, great northern said:

And so to the Norseman formation, quite a bit longer on a Saturday.

358153641_4rake1.JPG.bceff62f849a4952eccc9b200735e6ad.JPG484936484_5rake2.JPG.906ae34bd57a11457850fb67d518f15f.JPG1991183995_6rake3.JPG.5f635f80443102943e8beaa0f0c7aaad.JPG1573134402_7rake4.JPG.46fd5735c44e336d938df100bbdca75e.JPG460370219_8rake5.JPG.c5531dd7574ffe06a27d9ec1ddd58b1f.JPG1481824427_9rake6.JPG.27d5419350cacebbb4f46af653efd5dc.JPG

Hi Gilebert -

Who does the sides for the Gresley pantry third/ second?

Not uncommon but unique to the ECML, I believe.   Restaurant First with the main kitchen and 18 posh dining places, then a Pantry Third with limited food storage and heating capacity and ~32 seats for the hoi polloi.   I'm sure there was a logic to which trains had this and which had the RF/TO combination, but I'm not aware of what it was.   You'll note that they're marshalled so the pantry and kitchen are next to each other, presumably for the convenience of the staff.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

What a lovely mixed formation the Norseman was. Two Restaurant cars is a bit unusual isn’t it?

Thanks for sharing.

Andy

It was an unusual train, and varied in its formation depending on the day of the week. Eight cars minimum, rising to 10 own on a Saturday, when the Up train which has just featured had twelve. Whatever the load though, that FO RF RSP catering was included.

The one I just ran had the BSK SK7x2 CK attached at Newcastle, the rest being the usual eight cars from Tyne Commission Quay. I assume that only the rather well off would be taking boat trips to and from Norway back then, so that is probably why the catering was so lavish.

As to two restaurant cars, my memory tells me, dangerous at my age I know, that the RSP was very much a GN preference, other areas being happy with the usual Dia 27a SO. The RSPs do seem to have been branded as RCs, but Jonathan may be able to tell us more.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

The Norseman and, indeed, all the Norwegian Boat trains, were interesting to us on Tyneside too, Gilbert, They were as likely as any to bring a "cop", and indeed, it was only time I saw your namesake, 60113, at Newcastle. I run one occasionally through Little Benton, though the more usual route was via Wallsend with reversal at Percy Main, Engineering work is the normal excuse.... V1/3 were the regular motive power, with Class 24 and 40's on the last of the trains.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, great northern said:

It was an unusual train, and varied in its formation depending on the day of the week. Eight cars minimum, rising to 10 own on a Saturday, when the Up train which has just featured had twelve. Whatever the load though, that FO RF RSP catering was included.

The one I just ran had the BSK SK7x2 CK attached at Newcastle, the rest being the usual eight cars from Tyne Commission Quay. I assume that only the rather well off would be taking boat trips to and from Norway back then, so that is probably why the catering was so lavish.

As to two restaurant cars, my memory tells me, dangerous at my age I know, that the RSP was very much a GN preference, other areas being happy with the usual Dia 27a SO. The RSPs do seem to have been branded as RCs, but Jonathan may be able to tell us more.

I didn’t spot that one was an RSP as I couldn’t see through the windows in the middle of the carriage I thought there was a kitchen there. But it’s obvious now you say it!

I run my Norseman with an all Thompson catering core as per the 1956 MO formation. This also has a RSO/ RF included. It was an interesting train.

Andy

• Like 12