Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

Following the 9F came an M&GN local from Wisbech.

43067.JPG.94a7a8d584ebf9a42d921a1745033ccf.JPG

After which, at the same platform, something exciting occurred.

531.JPG.6d16712ab6a4e436a6718e9d648bb03f.JPG

Gilbert,

A rare bird for the local train spotters.

It is familiar!

Eric

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

Gilbert,

A rare bird for the local train spotters.

It is familiar!

Eric

Thank you Eric, I wondered when someone would notice that. It is indeed a further addition to the PN fleet, but not a sign of returning locoholism. When the sad news that Haymarket was being sold broke, I felt that I would like to have a loco to commemorate it, and had a look through my books, which confirmed my memory that October 1958 Railway Observer had an entry saying that 60031 was on the 5.25pm Peterborough -KX  on 13th August 1958. It was an Elizabethan engine that year, and I assume that it must have been failed at KX on that duty, repaired, and given a trip to PN and back before being entrusted to the Elizabethan again. So I could justify it, and have the added bonus that I have an alternative engine to 60012 for the Lizzy too. But I genuinely would not have looked for one had not David made his announcement.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Thank you Eric, I wondered when someone would notice that. It is indeed a further addition to the PN fleet, but not a sign of returning locoholism. When the sad news that Haymarket was being sold broke, I felt that I would like to have a loco to commemorate it, and had a look through my books, which confirmed my memory that October 1958 Railway Observer had an entry saying that 60031 was on the 5.25pm Peterborough -KX  on 13th August 1958. It was an Elizabethan engine that year, and I assume that it must have been failed at KX on that duty, repaired, and given a trip to PN and back before being entrusted to the Elizabethan again. So I could justify it, and have the added bonus that I have an alternative engine to 60012 for the Lizzy too. But I genuinely would not have looked for one had not David made his announcement.

Hi Gilbert

Golden Plover looks well at home on Peterborough North.

Its very satisfying form my point of view to know it will continue to run on your wonderful layout.

Thank you for purchasing it from me.

It’s a shame you already had 60012 as I still have that A4?and 60009 still for sale.

Regards

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I checked up the 1958 records and found that Golden Plover was on the Non-Stop on the 11th. August for the Up train and returned on the Down train on the 14th. August.

Rather than returning to London on the 11th. as normal, it appears that Haymarket must have found something wrong with Golden Fleece which worked the Down on the 10th. August as it did not work back on the Up until the 13th. August. This meant that two Haymarket locos worked both ways on the 11th. August, Commonwealth of Australia as booked on the Down and Golden Plover filling in for the Kings Cross loco on the Up. This of course meant unbalanced working with Golden Plover ending up at the wrong Shed! This working was a bonus for it as noted below!

After reading this, my mind drifted to the late Harry Knox who knew Haymarket inside out and I recalled his story of the Golden Plover incident in 1958 as Haymarket had prepared it for working the Non-Stop that year. 

As a matter of interest Golden Plover worked the Non-Stop from the 9th. June until the 20th.June.

The reason that it did not work on the Non-Stop after that is recounted by Harry in one of his Haymarket books.  - - When one of Haymarket’s J36s, 65235 Gough, was on “Disposal” meaning moving the engines from the ash pits after cleaning of the ashpans, smokeboxes etc. and filling up the tender then move the engine up to the head shunt at the top of the west end of the Shed.  Unfortunately, as Harry recalled,” the young Fireman was a Cleaner of no great experience” and on this occasion a few corners “had been cut” regarding the manning of working procedures. Whilst carrying out what he thought was all the procedures he forgot to close the Regulator and thinking that all was in order he jumped off the loco to walk down to the points to set the correct Shed road. After setting the road he turned to head back to the engine and found that it was already on its way passing him by heading for the Shed. Apparently all he could do was watch it fly past gathering speed. As luck would have it the engine ran through one of the Shed roads which was unoccupied but outside in the east end standing all sparkling clean in Non –Stop condition was Golden Plover. The J36 crashed into the A4’s front end causing a fair bit of damage to the streamlined casing, main frames buckled etc. whilst the J36 only suffered a fractured buffer casing! Golden Plover was then Doncaster bound for repair hence why it was not in the Non-Stop as planned.

Merlin took over on the 21st. June until the 30th. July then it was Commonwealth of Australia.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Eric

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, great northern said:

Back under the roof now, to spy a small silhouette in the distance.

3underfar.JPG.919ff5f7060232907a8291e3d39d8a03.JPG

but it soon got closer.

4undernear.JPG.9e072e9845d9ca35e99e08219fe7d94b.JPG

For a moment there I thought I see a little silhouetto of a man,

Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the Fandango?
Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening me
(Galileo) Galileo, (Galileo) Galileo, Galileo Figaro, magnifico..

But no, it were a Spaceship.

Yo

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor blimey Gilbert, a DMU and a proper Derby loco in recent post. 🤸‍♀️

I can only apologise for this aberration.😇 I will try to make sure it doesn't happen again.😈

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2