Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Today has been very productive in more ways than one. Norman Saunders has done a lot of fettling and tidying up of the track, with assistance from Tom Wright in the places he couldn't reach! Unfortunately standing up for long periods for two successive days was also productive for me, the result being 'orrible sciatica. :sad_mini2: So by the time I got out of my chair this evening the light is all but gone, and shots of Tim's other handiwork will have to wait a while. Here are a couple of images though, the first of which is there to challenge your powers of observation. What's new in the image below? The clue is that it is something done today by Norman.

post-98-0-62864600-1334169750_thumb.jpg

Just enough light also to get this photo of my Bachmann 3F, which Tim has transformed from its pristine state out of the box to something far more reminiscent of the usual state of the real thing. it really is a lovely little loco, and I reckon it looks even better like this.

post-98-0-51031000-1334169959_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I can't claim any credit for the photoshopping Larry. Tim did that while trying to show me how. My efforts since suggest that he wasn't very successful. :(

Not to worry! I shall see how we get on on the next time round :). I'll bring some new skies along with me......

Edited by Tim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love the 3F; trouble is it has forced me to go and get out my collection of S & DJR books - fatal mistake :mail: . Sadly luckily I also found a June 2010 Steam Days mag with the Hereford Ross and Gloucester line article that I had mislaid.

I am now sitting on my artistic hand whilst typing this with my foot so as not to get tempted to move away from spotting at Peterborough and getting out the drawing board.

Repeat after me; " I must not get tempted to think about the WR, SR & MR" :nono:

Looking forward to seeing the new B1s.

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Hello Gilbert

Last time we met was at Spalding when I was there with the Stoke team. May I just add my words of appreciation for the way Peterborough North is turning out. It really is excellent. That's praise indeed from a confirmed enthusiast of the wetter side of the country (WCML). However, just to show that I'm not entirely one-sided (!) I would point to my ownership of 2 A1s, 2 A3s, 2 V2s, an A4, an A2/3, a B1....... and many items of ex LNER coaching stock, too.

It's good to see how much enthusiasm the layout is generating and rightly so, too!

If I can just draw your attention to my own rather less meritorious efforts, I have got a thread running re my own WCML layout, Hest Bank, to be found under the "Modelling real locations" section. I'm ploughing a solitary furrow here, however, so don't expect miracles.

Best regards

Terry Davis

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What! No-one taking the challenge regarding the first photo I posted yesterday? Never mind, here are the rest of the locos that arrived with Tim.

post-98-0-18009200-1334265771_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-98577300-1334265820_thumb.jpg

Not all of Immingham's B1's were kept clean. This one is as shown in a mid 1958 photo, and though in a fairly disgusting condition still had the trademark painted door hinges.

post-98-0-50122600-1334265975_thumb.jpg

This one is a New England loco in typical condition. Beware captions! I have a shot of this loco in ex works condition allegedly in July 1958, but there is also a filthy double chimney A3 in shot. No way did that happen by July '58 as the first one with that modification wasn't ex works till June. Yeadon shows 1207 as ex works July 1959, and I'm certain that is when the photo was taken, so she is in what would be her usual state between overhauls.

Anyway, Tim rang me and said he could get these two for the price of one. Bargain, innit? I mean, I'd have been crazy to say no, wouldn't I?

post-98-0-45552500-1334266386_thumb.jpg

Some of you may recall that I acquired a sound fitted A1 a while ago as my fee for reviewing it. Here it is after transformation by Tim. I needed one more Gateshead loco, and I particularly wanted Sir Walter Scott, so here he is. Tim again worked from a 1958 photo, which showed less than the usual coating of Gateshead grime. I very nearly succeeded in photoshopping a sky background on this one, but fell at the last hurdle. :angry:

• Like 10

post-98-0-18009200-1334265771_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-98577300-1334265820_thumb.jpg

Not all of Immingham's B1's were kept clean. This one is as shown in a mid 1958 photo, and though in a fairly disgusting condition still had the trademark painted door hinges.

Hurrummph.... I see that pesky bogie has rotated itself 180 degrees :banghead: . Note to self, must devise a way to stop that from happening....... :read:

(he hopes)

• Like 2

I absolutely love this layout and look forward every night to seeing all the different loco's and progress being made on the building and scenery side. If my eyes don't deceive me, in yesterdays photo's a mock up of a roof between the platforms has been placed in situ, and if this is the shape of things to come, then all I can say is it will look even more stupendous!

Its also got me into back into Eastern Region loco's, albeit the Pacifics. All I have to do now is renumber/name a few, get them weathered and build something to run them on!!

Look forward to more loco's and quality photo's.

Regards

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hurrummph.... I see that pesky bogie has rotated itself 180 degrees :banghead: . Note to self, must devise a way to stop that from happening....... :read:

(he hopes)

Sorry Tim, I did these in a rush. I noticed on one and put it right, but obviously I missed the other one.

• RMweb Premium

I absolutely love this layout and look forward every night to seeing all the different loco's and progress being made on the building and scenery side. If my eyes don't deceive me, in yesterdays photo's a mock up of a roof between the platforms has been placed in situ, and if this is the shape of things to come, then all I can say is it will look even more stupendous!

Its also got me into back into Eastern Region loco's, albeit the Pacifics. All I have to do now is renumber/name a few, get them weathered and build something to run them on!!

Look forward to more loco's and quality photo's.

Regards

Philip

Thank you Philip.It's great to hear that the layout gives pleasure to others as well as to me, and equally good to hear that we have another Pacific fan! The overall roof is next on the list, and I am really looking forward to that, as I think it is the last element that will really have a huge effect in transforming the whole thing. There are other buildings still to come, plus the two correct bridges, but it's that roof that really made Peterborough North what it was. My hurried and crude mock ups are a long way from being satisfactory - it will be a pleasure to throw them away!

Some of you may recall that I acquired a sound fitted A1 a while ago as my fee for reviewing it. Here it is after transformation by Tim. I needed one more Gateshead loco, and I particularly wanted Sir Walter Scott, so here he is. Tim again worked from a 1958 photo, which showed less than the usual coating of Gateshead grime. I very nearly succeeded in photoshopping a sky background on this one, but fell at the last hurdle.

Gilbert, I'm surprised seeing the trouble you now have with distracting backgrouds and how much trouble you went to in planning the layout, witness your article in MR, that you did not plan in a backscene. Was there a reason for this?

Hi Gilbert,

But there is another building arriving on Sunday, the water tank which features greatly on photographs although most of it obsured but should merit some new photo scenes, I am temted to put a photo of it up but will leave it to Gilbert to be the first :-).

The next delivery will then be the overall roof or should I say roof's as they are in two parts with an overtrack central walkway and of course the signage.

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

But there is another building arriving on Sunday, the water tank which features greatly on photographs although most of it obsured but should merit some new photo scenes, I am temted to put a photo of it up but will leave it to Gilbert to be the first :-).

The next delivery will then be the overall roof or should I say roof's as they are in two parts with an overtrack central walkway and of course the signage.

cheers

Peter

Sounds good , but its not in the above photo in question !!

• RMweb Premium

Some of you may recall that I acquired a sound fitted A1 a while ago as my fee for reviewing it. Here it is after transformation by Tim. I needed one more Gateshead loco, and I particularly wanted Sir Walter Scott, so here he is. Tim again worked from a 1958 photo, which showed less than the usual coating of Gateshead grime. I very nearly succeeded in photoshopping a sky background on this one, but fell at the last hurdle.

Gilbert, I'm surprised seeing the trouble you now have with distracting backgrouds and how much trouble you went to in planning the layout, witness your article in MR, that you did not plan in a backscene. Was there a reason for this?

I was originally going to put a backscene on the window side, but then it would have been much more difficult to view or photograph from there, so I decided just to have that slight lip there to deter any train wanting to take a dive. It's not really practical to put one on the operating well side, as that is the normal viewing side, so anything I put there would have to be pretty low anyway. Whatever I do, I can't hide the ****** bookcases anyway, except by doing what I have done, which is far from ideal. It's a great room for a layout, save for this one problem, which i'm afraid is insoluble. As so often in life, you can't have everything.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

cheers

Peter

I was saving the water tank up as a surprise Peter. :D

• RMweb Premium

Is the difference the catch point?

A virtual pint(or large glass of wine if preferred) to that man. :drink_mini: :good_mini: :clapping_mini: Yes, that's it. It hadn't showed up on any of the many photos I sent to Norman Saunders at the planning stage, but as always happens another photo turned up after the job had been done. No problem for Norman though - fifteen minutes work and it looked like it had been there forever. It must have been there to deal with trains that rolled back when attempting to start, though from what I have read any train of 11 bogies or above got a push from the station pilot anyway. Nice to have it correct anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Sandside - is it the catch point, which is not visible in your photograph on page 75 (the one imitating very well the Ben Brooksbank shot)?

Well done Simon, a close second. That was the photo I expected people to use as a comparison.

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

The layout is coming along nicely, I'm sure you are looking forward to the overall roofs arriving.

The Model Rail subscription arrived on tuesday which your article of planning a layout was in. It was an excellent article and one I'd wish I had read before starting my layout several years ago. I am looking forward to your next article, which must be in the issue on the ECML.

keep up the good work

Mark in OZ

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert,

I don't usually join forums, usually preferring usenet instead. However, after landing here from some obscure link and noticing the title Peterborough North I just had to read on, well it is local to me.

Having read through all 77 pages of this for the last few days I feel like you have invented the ultimate time machine just for me! One of the best reads I have had in ages.

What has really caught my attention apart from the exquisite modelling is the nostalgia you have created, be it smoke, steam and grime to Lyon's pies, cartoned milk vending machines, Ian Allen ABC's and the comradery of spotters which has not waned all these years later, judging by all the positve posts.

I come to this late so all the superlatives have been quoted, I just cannot think of another but I am sure that there is still many ooooh's and arrrrh's to come. Looking forward to more.

PS. "Before The Diesels Came!" by A.V. Fincham was his first book, same format as the other, all photos 1957/58.

sadly The Model Shop is no more

post-15323-0-78302300-1334448747.jpg

post-15323-0-69384300-1334448750.jpg

• Like 3

Gilbert I am a 53 year old Australian who will finally be able to settle in a house after moving with my job for 30 years. As an 8 year boy I developed a love of British railways with my uncle showing me his trains, including the Flying Scotsman ( I would love to see a picture of the Flying Scotsman if you have that model on the layout). I am now able to design and build a layout. I decided to model 1961 with the arrival of diesels in England during the peroid that steam was still operating. I chose Peterborough about three months ago as an ideal station to model due to its size and proximity to Alconbury airfield (fictional aircraft musem will be a part of the layout). Given my location in Australia I have been struggling to find plans of the station, tracks ands signals for Peterborough. I have looked at Google satelite images and thought that in 1961 the area just north of the Crescent bridge, currently heavily grassed but showing evidence of approximately 12 goods sidings, would have been operating at that time. It would seem from your layout this was not the case. Are you able to confirm if this was the case or not.

I wondered if you could tell me where you got the plans for your layout. Particularly I am trying to locate buildings, track, signals and the specific design of buildings in the immediate area of the station. I have been searching with minimal success. I have found that the LNER encyclopedia is very good but have not been able to locate any plans on this resource site. I was very excited to see your layout last night for the first time when I was looking for more information to assist in my research. The layout was very familiar given the 1,000s of photos I have looked at of the Peterborough area and station in parrticular. I was blown away by the station buildings as only yesterday I was trying to find ready made models to simulate the station. Having seen the great effect with your layout I now believe I shall need to scratch build (a lot of practice needed).Given my nil experience with train modelling and despite 30 years collecting and painting napoleonic 15 mm figues I shall need to do a lot more research proir to commencing anything. I intent to do a layout 19'X15' with a fiddle yard on a lower level. This may not be pratical but I will talk to guys at my local British railway club for advice. I wouls appreciate if you could reply to me queries as I have spent many hours on the internet and have strugglrd to find answers.

All the best with the layout and I shall be a very interested spectator to your mavellous railway. I move into a new house in 2 months and will keep researching.

Anthony Ashley