Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely amazing work. So essentially, you are programming in every single train movement, points change, etc etc, to run automatically? Will it literally just run by itself, if set?

Sorry, should have made it clearer. The Powerpoint is just there as a prompt. It isn't connected to the NCE system, so I still have to enter all the commands manually. If I wanted automatic operation, and frankly I don't think I would, I would have had to install a great deal of block detection and other such stuff.

This will work like this:-

Page down to next movement.

Set points using Powercab. That just involves pressing "Macro*** enter".

That will (or should) set the route. I then call up the loco and everything else happens conventionally. It's just an attempt to have all the necessary information in an easy to digest form really.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

From my vantage point high up in Gotham City I have to tell you that your layout is truly beautiful, a classic British model.

As my background is also Eastern (but GER) I'm finding it very evocative of my youth.

Enjoying this thread tremendously.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Gilbert, in post No. 358, previous page, you ask about the source of a lamp. If you haven't found it yourself since that post, could it be from Ratio pack 453 Swan Neck Lamps?

A product I have my eye on as a source of light fittings myself at the moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, in post No. 358, previous page, you ask about the source of a lamp. If you haven't found it yourself since that post, could it be from Ratio pack 453 Swan Neck Lamps?

A product I have my eye on as a source of light fittings myself at the moment.

Yes thanks Jamie, those could be them, or if not they are close enough for my needs anyway. I'm grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction.

Gilbert

• RMweb Premium

Any more progress Gilbert?

Yes, plenty David, but not the sort I can take photos of. I have now completed ( I hope) all the route setting. That involves setting up what NCE call macros. You just programme in a set of point numbers and save them. After that to set that route all you have to do is hit Macro ** on the hand held controller and the route is set. I have finished up with 115 different macros, each of which controls up to 10 points. That's a lot of key presses. Then I have put everything on a spread sheet just in case the system ever loses its memory. Long job - not very interesting to do.

I've also completed the sequence on the laptop. 366 stock movements involved there, so that took a while as well, and I got fairly tired of constantly looking at a computer screen. Still, it appears to work more or less as I hoped. Now I am recording precisely where everything has to be at the start of the day, after which I shall finally start operating the thing properly.

The buildings are coming along, but it is turning out to be far more complex than we expected, so they will be a lttle while yet. That is making me less committed to getting on with all the bits of detail I need to do. In fairness though it isn't just my usual idle nature this time - the clerical stuff really has taken up a lot of time. I'm nearly out of excuses now though......

Super locos and coaches. What a pity the period of your model misses out on the exotic coaches transferred from the MR and LNWR to the M&GN section, all plastered in that brown paint the LNER was fond of splashing on coaches that were not originally varnished teak.

• RMweb Premium

Super locos and coaches. What a pity the period of your model misses out on the exotic coaches transferred from the MR and LNWR to the M&GN section, all plastered in that brown paint the LNER was fond of splashing on coaches that were not originally varnished teak.

Thanks Larry. I had indeed hoped to use some real exotica on my M&GN trains, but by my period as you say they were gone. I do have some Kirk 51ft stock in brown livery, but I'm struggling to find a use for it. Setting the thing further back in time unfortunately opens up several new cans of worms, which I don't even want to contemplate, as I have convinced myself that the expensive phase of this project is now nearly over.

Yes, plenty David, but not the sort I can take photos of. I have now completed ( I hope) all the route setting. That involves setting up what NCE call macros. You just programme in a set of point numbers and save them. After that to set that route all you have to do is hit Macro ** on the hand held controller and the route is set. I have finished up with 115 different macros, each of which controls up to 10 points. That's a lot of key presses. Then I have put everything on a spread sheet just in case the system ever loses its memory. Long job - not very interesting to do.

I've also completed the sequence on the laptop. 366 stock movements involved there, so that took a while as well, and I got fairly tired of constantly looking at a computer screen. Still, it appears to work more or less as I hoped. Now I am recording precisely where everything has to be at the start of the day, after which I shall finally start operating the thing properly.

The buildings are coming along, but it is turning out to be far more complex than we expected, so they will be a lttle while yet. That is making me less committed to getting on with all the bits of detail I need to do. In fairness though it isn't just my usual idle nature this time - the clerical stuff really has taken up a lot of time. I'm nearly out of excuses now though......

Sounds like progress enough. which decoders are you using - I did try Bachmann ones for a while but gave up after many for no apparent reason lost all the information. I' using tcs Hornby and lenz now. I've a number of loco's not dcc fitted while the layout continues to be built including the W1. Hopefully I'll rectify that this weekend. On a friend layout it romped away with 16 Mk1's hung on the tender!

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like progress enough. which decoders are you using - I did try Bachmann ones for a while but gave up after many for no apparent reason lost all the information. I' using tcs Hornby and lenz now. I've a number of loco's not dcc fitted while the layout continues to be built including the W1. Hopefully I'll rectify that this weekend. On a friend layout it romped away with 16 Mk1's hung on the tender!

Hi David,

I mainly use TCS decoders now. I've one or two Bachmann DCC fitted locos, which perform OK, but unsurprisingly not up to the standard of more expensive decoders. I've tried Zimo, which are excellent, but I don't think that they are proportionately better than TCS when you take into account the difference in price.

• RMweb Premium

What an undertaking...just superb! I Haven't had chance to read the whole thing but how many pacifics do you have from each class?

Hi,

Well, it's like this you see. In order to run according to the correct timetable sequence I need lots of Pacifics. So at present there are 14 A4's 13 A3's, 10 A1's and 7 A2's. I don't like the number 13, so I'll need one more A3, and the number of A1's should really be higher.

Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you I am just addicted to locomotives, and Pacifics in particular. :blush:

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there is anything wrong with having lots of locos...it must be nice to own models of so many of those east coast race horses! Are the a4 / a3's all the latest Hornby model and the peppercorns Bachmann?

I have one Golden Age A4, one DJH A3 and some DJH and PDK A2's. The A4 was pure indulgence, the A3 I've had for years, and the A2's are from kits only because they aren't available RR. The standard of the current models from Bachmann and Hornby, and just as important their running qualities is such that I really see no point any more in going for much more expensive alternatives, particularly as you can get just about every variant that ever existed. Who would have thought it only a few years ago?

• RMweb Premium

A few more photos folks, mainly because I have been experimenting again. The perennial problem is that any photo taken from the operating well, which is where I would really like to concentrate, is extremely back lit, and outside the scope of my camera. Last night therefore I decided to see what things would look like under artificial (fluorescent) light. Here's the result.

post-98-0-18927300-1314617180_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-52878400-1314617234_thumb.jpg

A little better I think? The solution though is better lighting in the end. The artificial light causes rather too warm tones. This morning I started playing with trains, but soon got side tracked.

post-98-0-60398300-1314617440_thumb.jpg

The DMU is waiting in bay platform 5 for its next duty, while a B17 has arrived on a train from Norwich.

post-98-0-80380100-1314617562_thumb.jpg

The next arrival is a Down Newcastle express headed by Kings Cross A1 Sea Eagle. I think this is the first A1 to feature in these pages.

post-98-0-51635600-1314617723_thumb.jpg

And finally the full line up. It was actually as busy as this a lot of the time in those days.

post-98-0-85715400-1314617846_thumb.jpg

Finally the camera strayed back to these two classic GE section locos waiting for their next duties. One will take a late afternoon train to Harwich, and the other a local to March. A class 158 and a 153 now I suppose, if such trains still existed.

• Like 2

Good job you are disciplined Gilbert. With the track laid and control sequences down, and the stock ready to go, I would be running the trains for the next few years and not an ounce more construction would take place. The 'passengers' can balance on the platform structure...

The arch girder bridge is such a scene setter, my mind's eye just paints in the rest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good job you are disciplined Gilbert. With the track laid and control sequences down, and the stock ready to go, I would be running the trains for the next few years and not an ounce more construction would take place. The 'passengers' can balance on the platform structure...

The arch girder bridge is such a scene setter, my mind's eye just paints in the rest.

Funny, isn't it? Works the opposite way with me. Until I have a proper station I'm finding it difficult to start operating in earnest. There has to be a reason for the trains to run I guess. And, it has just occurred to me, I like to see my trains running in a realistic setting, and I don't have that yet. Won't be long though.

Some cracking pics there, you got a better effect than my camcorder did on Thursday, amazing to see the difference in the layout from my last visit in February.

Meant to ask when I saw you, but how many buildings make up the station complex?

Tom