Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree with you Gilbert and I guess that's the point we are both making. Running quality of RTR these days is very good and the work Tim has done on these locos is really first class. The look exactly as I remember them in the last days of steam. I'd love my A2 to look like that but just don't have the courage or skills to tackle such an all out weathering job.

I'm sure that if you ask him nicely Gordon Tim could make anything you want look totally disreputable. :jester: His terms are very reasonable too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant models, brilliant layout and brilliant photos.

Please do not take this the wrong way Gilbert but if it was not for the unfinished platforms these could almost pass a real photos taken from the 1950's that's how realistic Tim's model of Sun Castle looks in my opinion.

I agree with 60027 Merlin looking forward to more photos.

Regards

David

I take that as a great compliment David. I'm always surprised that people are so complimentary when there is so much jarring unfinished stuff on view. We're getting there though, and further improvements will take place shortly. It might help also if I did less running and photography and got on with some of the detailing that needs to be done. Those unfinished water cranes for a start, and that foot crossing. Platform surfaces and particularly edging will make a big difference, and more of that should get finished before long.

• Like 1

Those A2/3's are suberb, the best Thompson pacific's I've ever seen (and that includes several by our mate Mr Wright!). Tim has done a marvellous job, you must be over the moon. Maybe, at some point in the future, you could get him to do 60512 to remind you of the times you stand there, with a club in your hand, trying to get a little white ball to go in the direction you want!

• Like 5

Those A2/3's are suberb, the best Thompson pacific's I've ever seen (and that includes several by our mate Mr Wright!). Tim has done a marvellous job, you must be over the moon. Maybe, at some point in the future, you could get him to do 60512 to remind you of the times you stand there, with a club in your hand, trying to get a little white ball to go in the direction you want!

STEADY there Herbert,that sounds as though your AIMing low there,sounds like a bit of FORE Play to me on a family website tut tut. Besides which I hear that 60511,60536 & 60538 may be more akin aROUND this gents sporting activities.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 2

STEADY there Herbert,that sounds as though your AIMing low there,sounds like a bit of FORE Play to me on a family website tut tut. Besides which I hear that 60511,60536 & 60538 may be more akin aROUND this gents sporting activities.

Regards,Derek.

Maybe, after taking 60512 the 60538 will cause the ball to become 60511! Of course, if un60512 is employed, the ball could end up in a 60536!

• Like 2

Maybe, after taking 60512 the 60538 will cause the ball to become 60511! Of course, if un60512 is employed, the ball could end up in a 60536!

Hi All

Thanks to you all for improving my knowledge and fitness, My knowledge of ER Pacific names is improving and my firness as i have to run up 3 flights of stairs to get my green book to understand each post! :rolleyes:

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As it happens I shall be out in pursuit of small white spherical objects later this morning. I can say two things with absolute certainty. I shall not be hitting the ball into the 60517, nor onto 60521, the only reason being that they are both too far away. The 60517 has claimed some of my balls when I've been beside the seaside though. If there was an A2/3 called Stagnant Pond, that would be a far more likely destination. I shall endeaavour to keep my shots on the 60092 (alright, wrong class) but knowing full well that 60512 often does not result in a 60522.

A bit more fitness practice for you there Ian. :lol:

A special prize may be offered to anyone who can work 60513 60516 60518 60519 or 60524 into a golf related reply. And I don't have any friends called 60520.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is getting silly, but I can't resist widening it a bit. ;) I shan't be having a 60039 today, as the halfway house is closed. My driver is no longer made of 60050. If I misjudge the distance to the green and 60081, will I be able to remain 60071? If I show a bit of 60111 I might get a couple of birdies, which would be 60085 from heaven. I could always travel to Egypt and hit it in the 60096. And I'm sure some 60097 can do a lot better than this. :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This latest diversion is a D855. I think we need to be D846 and continue to D809 this particular 61013 (oh sorry, letter missing there).

Now of course I have committed the great 60501 here by introducing those box like WR objects; I apologise for being too 60153 and ask for 60154 to prevail.

So, off to the bathroom to 60536 (no comment here fellows) and please do not call me a 60097 or a 60108. A 60109 is fine as is D839 (oops, there is another one).

I await the D832 (damn, there's another) of responses.

Sincerely, 62739.

P.S. I also think Mr Easter's work is a grand reassurance that modelling loco's is alive an well; that latest A2/3, especailly the paint job, is absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is about the highest praise you could give, and I'm sure Tim will treasure it. Unfortunately TW is going through a bad patch at the moment, so I doubt we'll be hearing his views for a while, but it will certainly be interesting to see what he thinks eventually.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is getting silly, but I can't resist widening it a bit. ;) I shan't be having a 60039 today, as the halfway house is closed. My driver is no longer made of 60050. If I misjudge the distance to the green and 60081, will I be able to remain 60071? If I show a bit of 60111 I might get a couple of birdies, which would be 60085 from heaven. I could always travel to Egypt and hit it in the 60096. And I'm sure some 60097 can do a lot better than this. :D

GN - would you mind if this particular 'diversion' was struck up in Wheeltappers for a bit of fun?

P @ 36E

As it happens I shall be out in pursuit of small white spherical objects later this morning. I can say two things with absolute certainty. I shall not be hitting the ball into the 60517, nor onto 60521, the only reason being that they are both too far away. The 60517 has claimed some of my balls when I've been beside the seaside though. If there was an A2/3 called Stagnant Pond, that would be a far more likely destination. I shall endeaavour to keep my shots on the 60092 (alright, wrong class) but knowing full well that 60512 often does not result in a 60522.

A bit more fitness practice for you there Ian. :lol:

A special prize may be offered to anyone who can work 60513 60516 60518 60519 or 60524 into a golf related reply. And I don't have any friends called 60520.

OK I'll rise to the challenge.

I was lucky enough to be playing in a pro celebrity tournament in 60518 and got paired up with a certain Ms Black.

"60516" I said, "gee it's hot today, just like 60513's inferno".

"Hey hang on a minute, who's that 60519 over there"?

"Who do you mean"?

"The girl in the 60524 shorts".

"Oh, that's 60526 from Thailand".

"I hear she's quite a golfer and has a 60536"!

Best I can do at the moment. I'm sure others can do better....

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

"60016" I said, "gee it's hot today, just like 60513's inferno".

Silver King --- Gordon, do please pay attention thats hardly the name of a young Lady,Surely something more like Hello cyilla would have been more appropriate.

School Report: Gordon, Is highly intelligent, but could do with better concentration. His mind tends to wander off onto Trains during lessons. . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

A stunning layout that gets better and better. I have re-read the entire topic over the past few days, and the past 18 months have seen a great idea turn into a great layout.

I am researching Grantham with a view to creating a model, as I know a couple of other people who contribute here are, and if I can produce a model half as good as this I will be very pleased indeed.

I think the thing that I can most empathise with is the desire to produce something that "looks right", in every sense. The track work, buildings and the rolling stock all come together to produce a magnificent representation of the real railway. There may be a few areas of compromise, but 99.99% of modellers have to do that; and anyway it does not detract at all. The research that has gone into the operation, and then designing the layout to fit the operation is something you rarely come across, and its certainly opened my eyes as to how to approach my planning, and the research for it.

I am looking forward to the development of the station and forecourt, I first went to Peterborough North in the early 1970/71 during the re-development, and vaguely remember the old layout, so it’s good to see it come to life again.

Inspirational stuff....

Ian

• Like 3

Ian

Should have something of interest to you soon - as we've some ongoing constructional articles on - Grantham!

Richard

Hi Richard

O Good, looking forward to those then

Ian(Another one with somethhing based on Grantham in mind)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's weather? Dull damp and dismal - totally unsuitable for photography. Today's resolution? Get on with some work on the layout, and don't take up time running trains and taking photos. So here are the photos folks. :rolleyes: We'll start with a few more of Sun Castle, now gainfully employed on the 6.20pm Kings Cross - Leeds. I'm not even going to try to take any of Sun Stream today.

post-98-0-32826200-1327080512_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-33796500-1327080673_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-74321800-1327080706_thumb.jpg

The titled trains are nearly over for the day, but here is the Up White Rose behind Doncaster's A1 Amadis. As happened so often by this time, the headboard is not carried. ( trans:- I can't find it.)

post-98-0-48129200-1327080868_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-43000500-1327080912_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-05036700-1327080952_thumb.jpg

I know there are some people who enjoy seeing somewhat unusual coaching stock, so here is one from the White Rose - this is a Thompson Restaurant Second Pantry.

post-98-0-31303500-1327081107_thumb.jpg

It's now quiet enough for the steady stream of goods trains to get under way. 02 63940 heads a coal train to Ferme Park, routed via the Up slow as there is a local from Grimsby in Platform 2. This must be my all time favourite goods loco, how good looking can you get?

post-98-0-15917100-1327081161_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60656800-1327081350_thumb.jpg

As there is absolutely nothing on any of the about six trillion TV channels on offer that I might remotely want to watch, I still have plenty of time to get some work done. On the other hand, as I appear to have all the will power of a comatose weevil, look out for more later. :)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

That 02 is gorgeous - PDK kit? Gresley knew how to design beautiful locomotives alright

Yes, PDK kit. I think one of the most noteworthy things about British locomotive practice is that practical considerations were never allowed to take precedence over producing something pleasing to the eye. I know Gresley put some excresences on locos experimentally, but he can be forgiven those. Unlike some continental efforts...... Just bung another bulge over there.......

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Reverting briefly to the subject of unusual workings, this month's Steam World has more of Noel Ingram's lovely images, this time at Corby Glen. One features Grantham's A3 Donovan in pristine condition heading a Class K goods! The caption asks if the loco was ex works, and Yeadon says that she was -on 25th April 1961, just eight days before the date of the photograph. We knew that express locos could sometimes be seen on humble duties while running in, but a pick up goods! What reaction would you get if you recreated that on a layout?

• Like 1