Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Stuff the trains...

If you look at 'Gerrit's Tagebuch' on Miniature Wonderland's YouTube channel there have been quite few videos on the huge amount of development and problem solving involved in the creation of the Formula 1 system.

Edited by JeremyC
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

At least with it being Monaco they can get away with a single imbedded steel wire and use the Faller system, because all the cars need to do is follow each other round without overtaking...

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 298 said:

At least with it being Monaco they can get away with a single imbedded steel wire and use the Faller system, because all the cars need to do is follow each other round without overtaking...

Not that I've followed the development videos, it soon went over my head!, but some cars speed up and slow down independently of others so I don't think it's that simplistic.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't look realistic at all..... The Red Bull was stuck in third, rather than being half a lap ahead of everyone else......

Edited by Geep7
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I do like the way they move though, any techniques we could adapt for layouts? The movement looks rather more natural than most vehicles on layouts I've seen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

I do like the way they move though, any techniques we could adapt for layouts? The movement looks rather more natural than most vehicles on layouts I've seen.

Having seen the technology they've had to develop to get this to work, I very much doubt we'll ever be able to get this to work for our home layouts. The track base itself are some very sophisticated custom constructed circuit boards, and it's all controlled with a custom programmed AI. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Having seen the technology they've had to develop to get this to work, I very much doubt we'll ever be able to get this to work for our home layouts. The track base itself are some very sophisticated custom constructed circuit boards, and it's all controlled with a custom programmed AI. 

Could've said the same sort of thing about the electronics in DCC once upon a time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Could've said the same sort of thing about the electronics in DCC once upon a time.

Yes, this is true..... But this stuff to make this racing circuit work is next level technology from what i'm led to believe. The AI knows exactly where on the circuit each of the cars are, and each in turn has its own AI character so they technically race each other. I think the biggest stumbling block they had was designing the actually race track surface, with the sensors on it, to track each car.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Yes, this is true..... But this stuff to make this racing circuit work is next level technology from what i'm led to believe. The AI knows exactly where on the circuit each of the cars are, and each in turn has its own AI character so they technically race each other. I think the biggest stumbling block they had was designing the actually race track surface, with the sensors on it, to track each car.

Indeed, we're nowhere near it being available as an affordable, off-the-shelf product, or even something a competent electronics and computer amateur could build themselves, but the way such technology advances today's difficult, complex, expensive wow often becomes tomorrow's mundane, so it's not at all implausible that at some point down the line it'll be available. All technology is next level at some point.

With technology a lot of the effort and expense goes in to developing it in the first place, once developed it can often become quite cheap and easy to reproduce, although that'll probably depend on whether or not a wider commercial use can be found for it.

• Like 2