Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MTK 2-HAL Stores Unit 022

• 2 weeks later...

What has happened it’s a week later and no update. No doubt you have got on with another MTK kit and haven’t told us yet. No worries looking forward to your next update.

Keith

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi Keith.   I had a holiday break in North Devon last weekend and am still in “holiday mode”.  I’ll get back into it over the coming weekend.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Hi Keith.   I had a holiday break in North Devon last weekend and am still in “holiday mode”.  I’ll get back into it over the coming weekend.

Cheers

Darius

Yes, the Guinness Book of Records have lost interest too!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Nice work Darius.

Agree, really interesting prototype Darius.

A very long time ago I was a member of the Southern House Rolling Stock Development Team.  Within the team there was a small group of people, no more than two, who spent their time working out how they could meet operational and maintenence needs by, we would now call it, repurposing, old rolling stock. This would be one of their efforts I suspect. Once the drawings had been prepared it would be off, usually to Stewarts Lane Depot, where the work would be carried out in the old repair shop. I became involved, as part of my training, in the early 1970s. At the time, the SR CM&EE team were very independent of BRB Derby and probably did more design and development in house than any of the other regions.

Kind regards,

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2024 at 17:35, Darius43 said:

Interior constructed using plasticard - timber joints scribed on.

IMG_2713.jpeg.b54fd364d05b02c73f18c544c2f1e6d2.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg.0eeb8552531b510c3976478f69b46574.jpeg

What do you scribe with and how do you keep it all even? I had a go at turning a SR even plank into an uneven one but found it hard to scribe exactly in the middle of planks and it looked a mess

• RMweb Gold

For scribing I use an Olfa P-Cutter.  

IMG_2742.jpeg.038ca0d4baec1649be6c202a73c6a100.jpeg

For flat surfaces I use a steel rule as a guide and for curved surfaces - such as coach roofs - I tape plasticard to the surface to act as a guide.

IMG_0851.jpeg.2f6261570327c5624859579c8d957cbd.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Another lovely job, and a change from the usual BR green and blue (one door excepted!)

May I enquire as to your reasoning for completing the two vehicles separately in this way? Back in 1997/8 I converted two Hornby Class 29s into Class 22s using A1 Models conversion kits but I deviated considerably from the instructions (including using chassis from Lima South African overhead electrics) - I knew 'doing it my way' was going to create a lot of extra work and that if I did them one at a time the second one may never get finished as I couldn't face doing all that again, so they were worked on side-by-side. This had the advantage of batch-producing the Plastruct and Plasticard parts (which you may have done here of course) so although they took around 9 months to finish I felt doing them 'in parallel' rather than 'in series', as it were, was both quicker and easier overall. In my case one was finished in green and the other in blue, so it didn't matter too much if the surface finishes differed slightly, but with a 2-car unit using the method you've employed with this project I'd be concerned that the surface finishes may not match - due to slightly different paint/varnish thinning, different atmospheric conditions, etc.

You do seem to achieve a consistent finish with your MTK output so I'm sure it will be fine, but I'm still still curious about your 'one then the other' approach to this build - personally I may have found my motivation for Round 2 somewhat lacking 😊!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit that I am inconsistent with my approach to building these kits.  It is definitely more efficient to complete identical tasks on both/all coaches side-by-side, however I find some of the tasks more fun than the others.   Roof detailing is a bit of a chore so it is more motivating (i.e. “fun”) for me to move on to the priming and painting stage of one coach than to get the second coach up to speed.  That way the grunt work is evened out along with the more enjoyable tasks.

In this instance I did make both plasticard rear walls for the coaches at the same time.

The olive paint I am using for these coaches is mixed by Phoenix so I’m confident that the finishes will match.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Interesting I was going to ask the same thing.

I generally start identical tasks together but not unusual for me to get bored and one ends up lagging behind.

Sometimes I do refine a technique or spot a slight error and then the mental dilemma is whether to go back and improve the first one!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1