GCR wagon grey?

Hi all!

I'm currently building a kit for a GCR Dia.8 open wagon and, not being a GCR man, I did the cliché and purchased a tin of Phoenix "G.C.R Wagon Grey" (P606) trusting this would be (approximately) the correct shade. However, having done the first coat*, I can't help but feel it looks too dark compared to what I have seen of GCR wagons.

20240228_185826.jpg.c747323254ef0f33bf763754964c69b1.jpg

*a not entirely dry first coat in that photo.

I know there's no such thing as "exact shades" for wagon liveries, especially greys, but I'd like to get my one and only GCR wagon looking close to an approximation of what it's meant to represent, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an appropriate shade for GCR grey?

Please and thank you!

- James

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I am sure my GCR wagons are also painted with Phoenix GCR wagon grey and they are quite a light grey colour, though I n o longer have the tin so cannot be sure.

PICT0003.JPG.97b97118631a792b3f89eb841ff01933.JPG

Not that I am a modeller of the GCR in particular so don't take what I say as authoritative.

I am not sure why it looks so pink as it doesn't in real, life.

Jonathan

• Like 5

1 minute ago, corneliuslundie said:

I am sure my GCR wagons are also painted with Phoenix GCR wagon grey and they are quite a light grey colour, though I n o longer have the tin so cannot be sure.

PICT0003.JPG.97b97118631a792b3f89eb841ff01933.JPG

Not that I am a modeller of the GCR in particular so don't take what I say as authoritative.

I am not sure why it looks so pink as it doesn't in real, life.

Jonathan

Yours is more like what I was expecting from mine. It's almost like a Midland grey, so I wonder if my tin of LMS grey would suffice 🤔

- James 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a pre-war GCR modeller the only reference I can find for GCR dark wagon grey is on the Precision paints web site.  

As shown above it is much lighter and some sources indeed suggest LMS wagon grey as  good match, so your suggestion is a good one.  

With very limited access to Precision paints, I use Tamiya XF-66 light grey.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

When you say that the paint is not fully dry, did it eventually dry properly ?

From experience with Phoenix paints, they can take quite a while to mix properly, maybe twenty minutes or more.

Perhaps try mixing the paint again and test it on a piece of primed material and see if the colour changes to that on your wagon.

The large tins are the worst, you can end up with arm ache by the time it is fully mixed and dries correctly.

All the best

Ray

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

When you say that the paint is not fully dry, did it eventually dry properly ?

From experience with Phoenix paints, they can take quite a while to mix properly, maybe twenty minutes or more.

Perhaps try mixing the paint again and test it on a piece of primed material and see if the colour changes to that on your wagon.

The large tins are the worst, you can end up with arm ache by the time it is fully mixed and dries correctly.

All the best

Ray

I took the photo within an hour of painting it, so it was still tacky/not dry. It dried properly overnight but it was still very dark compared to what I'd expect GCR grey to be. 

- James

• Like 1

I had some of their paint that took a month to dry. Sprayed on with an airbrush but I used humbrol thinners and when I enquired I was told that was the reason it took so long to go off.

Marc

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2024 at 08:07, MarcD said:

I had some of their paint that took a month to dry. Sprayed on with an airbrush but I used humbrol thinners and when I enquired I was told that was the reason it took so long to go off.

Marc

I have some Humbrol thinners, I don't like it at all. It nearly ruined one paint job I did with it. I much prefer to use simple white spirits for thinning Precision (or any enamel) paints. If they aren't touch dry within an hour, something is most definitely up.

I suspect that Humbrol thinners is not the same formula as Precision. They smell different for a start. I would always use the brand from the maker of the paint.

I have been told and believe it to be true that white spirit thins paint by breaking it down. It is not a thinners. A proper thinners is the same solution as the liquid element of the paint in which the pigment is suspended.

Don't forget that there were old formula and new formula Humbrol paints and you should not use old formula thinners with new formula paint or vice versa.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1

I've used (and am still using) Precision thinners with both old and new Humbrol paints without any problems. All brush painting. 

Jim 

• Informative/Useful 2