Cuckmere Haven - a very small slice of southern electric.

Nearholmer

A guy I used to work for would get very annoyed about what he called “fart and fly forward” project management (explanation available if required) but as a means of propulsion for crossing a continent it might work quite well.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Why are 'gratuities' actually mentioned in the wagon train advert? If the staff are doing a good job, just adjust your prices to pay them a decent wage. Don't rely on the goodwill/guilt of your customers. 

Free p&p? No - you have just factored it into your prices. 

Edited by phil_sutters

Ah - I was wondering when you were going to start working on that CVLR concept!

I must say I'm quite tempted by the idea of SR/BR(S) electrics on a backwater.

I went to the Cuckmere Valley a few years back for a day during a Sussex family holiday and fell in love with the place as so many do (incidentally I came up with some Ian Rice style layout concepts after my visit too, but it's nice that someone else is building something I know I'd never get around to, and a more interesting interpretation of such a concept as well!).

I look forward to seeing how the layout develops...

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/03/2024 at 18:52, Mol_PMB said:

Agreed. And Egrets weren't common here in the 1970s - they're a recent import.

The Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) is a charming white heron with striking white plumes on its crest, back, and chest. It boasts black legs, a black bill, and eye-catching yellow feet. Let’s delve into its fascinating history in the United Kingdom:

Arrival in the UK:

The Little Egret first made its significant appearance in the UK in 1989.

It followed a natural range expansion from western and northern France in the preceding decades.

Breeding and Colonization:

In 1996, this elegant bird successfully bred in Dorset, marking a pivotal moment.

Since then, it has become a familiar sight in various parts of the UK.

Little Egrets have colonized much of southern Britain and Ireland, both as breeding species and winter visitors.

Distinctive Features:

With its yellow feet, which it uses to flush prey while feeding in shallow water, the Little Egret stands out among its heron relatives.

Distribution:

These graceful birds can now be observed in most regions across the UK.

From the RSPB. The golden feet is a distinctive feature. And yes, not so small !

Paul

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Quiet.

I’ve just been very busy with family things over the past month, and will be for at least the next couple of weeks. In fact, I’m off down to the Eastbourne on Wednesday to collect my mother, who will be staying here while her flat is redecorated. When I take her back, I’m hoping to make a side excursion to Cuckmere Haven.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

"With its yellow feet, which it uses to flush prey while feeding in shallow water, the Little Egret stands out among its heron relatives."

The golden feet are a distinctive feature. And yes, not so small !

Little Egret Newhaven 19 10 2016.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Which reminds me: last time I was down there, a French school teacher randomly picked on me, an innocent passer-by, to explain to his class what the term “wading bird” meant, because he didn’t understand it himself, so couldn’t translate it for them. I panicked, made a right hash of it, confused them all, and resorted to giving an impression of the bird’s legs, using my arms, with hands on the ground, while still on my bike! I was probably recorded in all their journals as “le cyclists fou”.

Of course, a few hundred yards further on the necessary words came to me, but I was too embarrassed to turn back and give a cogent explanation. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Off topic, I’m afraid, but knowing your interests, have you picked up on this, Kevin?

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/16011-end-of-the-line-in-offaly/#comment-233268

(there’s another thread started on “BnM preservation”).

Edited by Northroader
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes, I’ve been following the “winding up” of operations, and Ted made a post on Facebook on the day. There is talk of some sort of tourist operation being created, a bit similar to the two that operated before but focusing on the history and ecology, plus ideas for a velorail being kicked around.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 1