Unknown TCS decoder - please indentify (and other make's decoders)

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hi all.

I've just fished this TCS decoder out of my stash but I can't remember which one it is.  It's 15mm x 9mm x 3mm

Possibly M1 or M3 but different to the current iterations of this decoder:

TCS1a.jpg.8b9717421860db9d88d736435efdf0d2.jpg

TCS1.jpg.c63402cd9c9a762f25b0de37b7b36435.jpg

Any Ideas?

Edited by melmerby

Keith,

I picked up a loco with a TCS decoder and TCS identified the decoder from CV. I also found a page buried in their website that should the value by decoder type. Sorry I can point you at the right link (I may find it later) but at least you know that the info is out there - just hard to find!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, RFS said:

The DCC decoder page is on the JMRI website - https://www.jmri.org/xml/XSLT/pages/DecoderId.html

Unfortunately JMRI comes up with about 30 variations on the TCS theme, that's where I started.

They used the same firmware in many varied spec decoders.

Edited by melmerby

• melmerby changed the title to Unknown TCS decoder - please indentify (and other make's decoders)
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

This is an M1P which seems to have the wires in the same place - though coming out the other end.

M1P-3.5" | TrainControlSystems (tcsdcc.com)

image.png.92145d798851c2c84b9f192c1243cf4f.png

They have changed over the years as the ones I have were bought over a long period.

They are probably M3 as they have 3 functions instead of two as on the M1 (an extra green wire)

I want to know the current rating of the ones I have, as the change of components might have changed the motor rating.

I want to use one in a US diesel and they are nice and compact for claimed H0 decoders, I have a clear space of 19mm x 19mm without doing any chassis surgery, no other decoders I have apart from a Lenz Silver Mini will fit but it's only rated 600mA total.

Or I could buy new ToM 8 pin decoder as that is small enough

TCS were my chosen decoder originally but weren't too good when it came to precision stopping with Train Controller due to hysteresis on speed profiling.

e.g. speeds were higher at the same setting when decelerating compared to accelerating.