New Northumberland Line Under Construction

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see this video.  Living in the area I think it is a "good thing" but will be pleased when it is finished and in use.  Meanwhile the traffic delays on the roads can be a nuisance just now while the building is underway.

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Nice to see this video.  Living in the area I think it is a "good thing" but will be pleased when it is finished and in use.  Meanwhile the traffic delays on the roads can be a nuisance just now while the building is underway.

David

"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs"

• Like 1

Great to see the progress with the 'Northumberland Line', although to me it will always be the 'Blyth & Tyne'.

As I'm old enough to remember when the line closed to passengers 60 years ago under the Beeching Axe this is a welcome and much needed project for the people of South East Northumberland.

Here is the original Newsham station. The new station will be located about half a mile to the south.

43070 Newsham 1st Sept 1967.jpg

• Like 6

Good to see that line reopening. 

It was already long closed by the time I was in the 6th form and the Careers Master took a group of us to visit Ashington colliery on a recruitment trip organised by the NCB.   The pit was worked out so wasn't producing coal any more, but it was used as a training centre for miners.  Trainees were learning how to lay rail underground in confined spaces.  Then the next shift would lift it and lay it somewhere else, and although they also had modern hydraulic pit props, there were also still pit ponies down there.  When we moved from one colliery building to another a miner would appear and greet us with "Whatever ye dee lad, divvent gan doon the pits".  I somehow doubt any of us even considered becoming a pit deputy as a career, but it was an interesting day out.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1