1907 RCH-Spec. SECR/LBSC/GNR Mainline Wagons from Rapido

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

We are pleased to be adding more pre-grouping wagons to our range, this time making use of our new RCH 1907 PO wagon tooling to represent wagons built by outside contractors for the SECR, LBSC and GNR. These were later absorbed in the SR and LNER at the Grouping.

Here's some info on the 3 ranges, click on the photos to go to the relevant page on our website.

Website-banner-967-SECR-1.jpg.edd8602520ec13084c89a34715b39297.jpg

As the 19th Century drew to an end, the newly-amalgamated South Eastern and Chatham Railway wasted no time in capitalising on the recently- discovered coal in and around Shakespeare Cliffs and the Kent coalfields. Hopeful that the black gold would pay dividends, they ordered a huge number of 12-ton RCH-compliant mineral wagons, which included a sizeable quantity of 7-Plank which would later become SR Diagram 1357. A total of 1850 wagons (including Dia. 1357 versions) were ordered between 1910 and 1914.

When combined with the substantial number that the SECR used as part of a business agreement with William Cory and Son of Erith, who owned some 5000 wagons of numerous types, it is fair to say that the Dia. 1357 were a common sight throughout Kent during this period. These numbers were further bolstered by some of the wagons that the War Department returned to the UK following the cessation of WW1, which ended up in Loco Coal use.

Most of the wagons passed into Southern Railway ownership at the Grouping gaining both liveries carried by the SR. A very small number survived into the BR-era but no evidence of any carrying BR livery has ever been found.

967-SECR-SR-All-1.jpg.b2016eff538c2fe107bf92ecaa8ea8ec.jpg

Website-banner-967-LBSC-1.jpg.d8c983cbddcc4482c87a2a5318519b85.jpg

Much like their Kentish counterparts had done the previous year, the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway began ordering 7-Plank 12 Ton Coal Wagons in 1911. 225 wagons were added to a previously ordered SECR batch by the LBSCR, so the astute builder (Hurst, Nelson & Company) sensibly constructed them using the same SECR drawings. The LBSCR regarded these as a non-standard wagon, and illustrated this by ordering further parts for them from the manufacturer only a year after delivery, instead of producing parts themselves in their own wagon works.

Once they had moved to Southern Railway ownership, they were issued a unique diagram number (Dia. 1373) despite having the same origin as their SECR cousins. These wagons carried both styles of SR goods livery prior to withdrawal. It is believed a very small number survived into the BR-era but, again, no evidence of them carrying BR livery has ever been found.

967-LBSC-SR-All-1.jpg.fd5fc36dd11b242e126f229180d76213.jpg

Website-banner-967-GNR-1.jpg.cf8783dda7b0e69f706285a418de94f2.jpg

It wasn’t just the pre-grouping companies of the South Coast that had RCH 1907 7-Plank side door wagons in mainline company use. Following the end of the Great War, the Great Northern Railway were given 50 7-plank wagons by the WD as replacement for GNR wagons lost or damaged during the War and set them to work as loco coal wagons. Incredibly all 50 survived into LNER ownership, where they were issued the LNER Diagram code 4150.

The LNER also had an agreement with Belgo-Anglaise des Ferry-Boats of Belgium, to provide cost-effective continental ferry rail freight between Harwich and Zeebrugge. This service used a number of hired-in wagons that were very similar to our new model. These hired vehicles had a rather interesting livery as they were covered in an eclectic mix of both companies’ information and could be seen on both sides of the channel.

967-LNER-All-1.jpg.4ee62dcf65e0b6d80b577f67eb6989a3.jpg

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RapidoCorbs changed the title to 1907 RCH-Spec. SECR/LBSC/GNR Mainline Wagons from Rapido

Not knowing much at all about the LBSC - Is the livery/condition seen appropriate for "as built"/pre-WW1? (The SECR, for example, changed their livery to the darker grey seen more commonly).

- James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

Not knowing much at all about the LBSC - Is the livery/condition seen appropriate for "as built"/pre-WW1? (The SECR, for example, changed their livery to the darker grey seen more commonly).

The authors of Southern Wagons Vol. 2 state that no photographs of these wagons were known to them... 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The authors of Southern Wagons Vol. 2 state that no photographs of these wagons were known to them... 

Ah... Must be based on something though, one would imagine? 

- James

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

Ah... Must be based on something though, one would imagine? 

LBSC livery as applied to other wagons at the time, would seem a reasonable basis - as, indeed, shown on the drawing of the type in Southern Wagons Vol. 2.

• Like 2

The ferry wagon is an interesting choice, and something that I hadn't previously come across. Not on my purchase radar, since it's the wrong era. But I'm still intrigued enough to want to know more. Where would these have been seen, in real life?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkSG said:

The ferry wagon is an interesting choice, and something that I hadn't previously come across. Not on my purchase radar, since it's the wrong era. But I'm still intrigued enough to want to know more. Where would these have been seen, in real life?

I've looked into this a little, in the past; and from my cursory examinations, you'd see them in East Anglia, for the ferry service between Harwich and Zebrugge in Belgium, as stated in the blurb- you could possibly even see them all the way in London, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Some GN wagons present in this LBSCR era goods train   can anyone tell what any of the PO wagons are?  

The leading one is from Dinnington Main Colliery. The GN wagons are of course their own design, not RCH 1907 ones. Plenty of railway company mineral wagons from the GN, Mid, GC, etc. to be seen south of the Thames, along with colliery and factors' wagons - either via the Met Widened Lines or the N&SWJR and connections. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Some GN wagons present in this LBSCR era goods train   can anyone tell what any of the PO wagons are? 

LBSCR, RJ Billinton designed E6 class 0-6-2 radial tank no. 408 Binderton has just passed through Norbury station with a loose coupled goods train on the Down Fast line. That wasn't in any way strange as there would have been shunting manoeuvres at Streatham Common's goods yard and the next yard on this trip would have been at Thornton Heath where a crossover was situated from the fast lines acroos to the goods yard which was on the Down side of the line. The headcode tells us that the working is destined for the marshalling yard at Norwood. The first seven wagons are  identifiable with the first one behind the loco being owned by Charington and the following six of GNR origin. This loco had been built at Brighton in December 1904 and would be withdrawn as BR no. 32408 at Eastleigh mpd in December 1962 which was the last month of what I describe as the Southern's Great Cull in 1962 when almost all the remaining pre-war engines were withdrawn. [Mike Morant collection]

It should also be noted that the Rapido GN wagon has "Loco" marked on it meaning it would have been used for loco coal use and I guess would never have quitted the GN. There are GWR and GCR in the first RCH batch which I have ordered.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

It should also be noted that the Rapido GN wagon has "Loco" marked on it meaning it would have been used for loco coal use and I guess would never have quitted the GN. 

Ah, but funny things happened.

In the first place that "loco coal" had to come from somewhere. Secondly, notwithstanding what it said on the packet...

Spread across pages 56 and 57 of the December issue of Hornby Magazine is a superb photie* of 111 The Great Bear standing at Old Oak Common [London] at some time before 1924. Of itself there's nothing remarkable about this, but standing behind the loco is an elevated track bearing a load of Great Western loco coal wagons. Again nothing remarkable and Rapido are intent on making them available, but at the back... at the left hand edge of the photie is a Caledonian Railway coal wagon !

*Rail Archive Stephenson

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Caledonian said:

In the first place that "loco coal" had to come from somewhere. Secondly, notwithstanding what it said on the packet...

On the whole, the northern lines tended to source coal from collieries on their own system, to avoid paying anything to their neighbours. I'm not entirely sure but I have the impression that loco coal wagons were excluded from the common user agreements that were introduced during the Great War.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1