Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nettlebed Lime

Giles

• RMweb Premium

Hope to see you on the Sunday in that case!

Glad to see this is getting a home (and somewhere to run without the precipitous drop!)

Posted (edited)

Slater's included some nice nameplates for its original name, but I wanted to build the loco as Holy War, and although etched plates are avaliable,  I wanted deeper ones. I therefore tried printing ones with this result.  I had to edit the typeface to match the original plates

20240129_175144

It is these on the loco.

Edited by Giles
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really beautfiul Hunslet there sir, the paint and finish is stunning! 

How is the R/C arranged in this one? I still haven't finalised what I'm doing with mine! 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Agree 1

Thank you!  Its a Deltang Rx41 that's actually in the ashpan. The 1800mAh battery is in the firebox/boiler, with the front 2/3rds of the boiler and smokebox containing the water tank/smoke unit

Holy War

• Like 13

23 hours ago, Giles said:

Thank you!  Its a Deltang Rx41 that's actually in the ashpan. The 1800mAh battery is in the firebox/boiler, with the front 2/3rds of the boiler and smokebox containing the water tank/smoke unit

Holy War

I've spent ages hunting for a camera battery that I could use in the bunker as I don't really want Lithium batteries inaccessible and semi permanently in the loco, but the only sizes that fit are too puny so I'm now considering a 3400mAH 18650 in the boiler, a combined charge and step up module in the bunker and the RC gear wherever it will fit. I will get there one day! 

20 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

I've spent ages hunting for a camera battery that I could use in the bunker as I don't really want Lithium batteries inaccessible and semi permanently in the loco, but the only sizes that fit are too puny so I'm now considering a 3400mAH 18650 in the boiler, a combined charge and step up module in the bunker and the RC gear wherever it will fit. I will get there one day! 

I remotored this with a cheap N30 gearmotor, as the supplied Slaters unit was far too fast for what I wanted, and the one time I approached them about swapping it for the slower speed version, they said that it was the slow speed one without checking... The N30 is a bit more powerful, much slower, and 3v, so I can use it straight off a 1S Lipo battery which simplifies things. It is however , much noisier, but I will live with that!

Using 1S means that I'm using a smaller battery (comparatively). In theory, with motor and steam, I should get 8 hours out of it. However, I expect it to be a little less.

TPH - thank you!

• Like 2

The grass is nearly all done now having taken two weeks, having been applied pinch by pinch (for want of a better term....). It now needs nettles and whatever else I can figure out how to make!

20240322_183146

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Just an observation, if I may. Put yourself in the shoes of the people who walk around; shunting, coupling, calling on/off. Do they float around on a magic carpet, or do they leave footprints, such a 'desire lines?

Regardless of my post, it looks bl**dy good from here.

fully grassed up, but of course there will be additional stuff. Meanwhile  I've got a couple of other things I really have to get on with!

20240328_180053

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Giles changed the title to Nettlebed Lime
Posted (edited)

Work has been done on the driver, so he is radio controlled as well (servo control off the loco receiver). His head will move to left, centre or right, and I shall adjust the speed to 1/2 second I think. I shall swap to the new micron receiver to make this easier, as these have built in adjustments within the receiver, rather than the transmitter - which is extremely helpful

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 1

There is also a number 2 in the offing - necessary to share the load. This is a Kerr Stuart Tattoo, drawn and printed by meeself..... the prints are done, and the underworld have been started. This also is fitted with ultrasonic steam.

20240410_174644

• Like 8

The Tattoo under steam test

20240410_161127

Being entirely home-made and not a kit, I was able to design in the water reservoir and ultrasonic disc location into the smokebox as part of the structure, rather than being a separate element. This makes much better used of space. The smokebox door is a separate piece, help on with magnets.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Posted (edited)

Hi @Giles long time no see. I hope you are well?
Your modelling is still fabulous I note! It all looks brilliant - just as expected. You have definitely captured the look of a hard working Hunslet.
Really really neat work re the driver's moving head too btw - that's just genius :) 

EDIT: The Hunslet looks perfectly "at home" on the layout too

Edited by marc smith

Hi mate, rather under the weather with long covid unfortunately - but there we go! I've got the best wife in the world, which makes all the difference! 

Anyway, I've now received a Micron 601 which I've fitted to the Hunslet. This allows me to select the speed at which the servo operates (and reverse it or limit it if I so desire). Very good Receivers they are too!

So now the driver is properly operational, which is a great help. Operation is on a three-position microswitch on the transmitter, so it's very easy. On the whole I think it's well worth the trouble.

Sorry about the shaking. Phone in one hand, transmitter in the other!

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

On 15/05/2024 at 18:33, Giles said:

Work has been done on the driver, so he is radio controlled as well (servo control off the loco receiver). His head will move to left, centre or right, and I shall adjust the speed to 1/2 second I think. I shall swap to the new micron receiver to make this easier, as these have built in adjustments within the receiver, rather than the transmitter - which is extremely helpful

I wondered when he was going to look where he was going😁

• 2 weeks later...

I need a short fiddleyard for Nettlebed Lime,  and of course it only has one function, as the layout is extremely simple - that of running round. Also, I don't want to be picking stock up....

A simple turntable won't do, because that reverses the loco and stock, and I need everything to remain facing the same direction. Therefore I've come up with perhaps a rather complicated solution, but it does what I want.......

• Craftsmanship/clever 2