Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LaisDCC and TCS - facts and evidence please

On 09/03/2024 at 19:38, Darius43 said:

It strikes me that you are asking for ironclad information to justify your purchasing of cheap decoders with others having to do the grunt work to get this information for you.  Having read the responses above (and those on the linked thread) in my view there is reasonable information to form a conclusion.  

Given the legal ramifications involved, it is unlikely that anyone is going to provide you with chapter and verse on a public web forum, your frequent demands for facts and specifics notwithstanding.

Cheers

Darius

Absolutely you're welcome to reach your own conclusion. 

It has nothing to do with "grunt work". As we've seen from subsequent replies, the alleged information has now vanished, oddly enough. 

Personally I don't reach any conclusion based on forum hearsay. I'd be delighted to change my mind if any evidence were provided. 

On 09/03/2024 at 19:56, NBL said:

Why don't you find the information yourself?

You are coming across as demanding and condescending in both the threads you have on this subject, do you have an interest in Laisdcc that you are not declaring?

I have no interest in any company. 

I'd just like any facts please. Not more speculation. 

On 09/03/2024 at 22:55, jpendle said:

Which part of

did you not understand?

I couldn't care less whether people use Lais decoders or not, but why you insist on demanding evidence rather than taking forum members at their word is beyond me.

Regards,

John P

The "Google it" replies have oddly enough now been superseded by "the info has disappeared". 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

I have no interest in any company. 

I'd just like any facts please. Not more speculation. 

Cue sound of crickets chirping.

Cheers

Darius

10 minutes ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

Because all sorts of statements are being made that those decoders were pirated. And that alleged piracy is being used as a reason why other people shouldn't buy them even though they're the cheapest product on the market. Given the cost of living crisis, where every penny counts, I'd like to get to the bottom of it. 

In a cost of living crisis where every penny counts I would not be spending it on toy trains...

I use Lais for some stay alives, I use Zimo for my sound chips.  I don't need someone to tell me what to purchase from reputable UK stockists, I don't understand why you do.  Just do what you feel is best for you and stop demanding other's make you feel better for your purchases.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, woodenhead said:

In a cost of living crisis where every penny counts I would not be spending it on toy trains...

I use Lais for some stay alives, I use Zimo for my sound chips.  I don't need someone to tell me what to purchase from reputable UK stockists, I don't understand why you do.  Just do what you feel is best for you and stop demanding other's make you feel better for your purchases.

The genesis of this was a post looking at how to build the cheapest possible DCC system. That included a mention of LaisDCC decoders as they're the cheapest new ones on the market. Various individuals said not to buy LaisDCC because they were pirated. That's quite a serious accusation so needs to be substantiated

1 minute ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

The genesis of this was a post looking at how to build the cheapest possible DCC system. That included a mention of LaisDCC decoders as they're the cheapest new ones on the market. Various individuals said not to buy LaisDCC because they were pirated. That's quite a serious accusation so needs to be substantiated

By Lais, if they need to or can be bothered to, it's not your job to police RMWeb, we have pretty good moderators for that.  If something was said that was a risk to the good name of RMWeb or at risk of litigation then the Mods would pull it and correct those involved.  Has there been any moderation of the comments of others as to the source of the IP for Lais?

4 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

If you want absolution, I think you are on the wrong forum - and you can quote me on that.

Cheers

Darius

The issue is individuals saying "don't buy that cheap decoder, it's pirated and from a disreputable company. Buy this expensive one instead." And then providing zero evidence to support it. 

2 minutes ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

The issue is individuals saying "don't buy that cheap decoder, it's pirated and from a disreputable company. Buy this expensive one instead." And then providing zero evidence to support it. 

Probably because it is some time ago, people don't keep copious notes on such matters and the internet moves on with such speed these days that it is hard to find stuff that was discussed 5 years ago let alone further back.

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Probably because it is some time ago, people don't keep copious notes on such matters and the internet moves on with such speed these days that it is hard to find stuff that was discussed 5 years ago let alone further back.

Well then how come those products are still on sale in the US and the UK? 

3 minutes ago, NotofthiscenturyTim said:

Well then how come those products are still on sale in the US and the UK? 

Maybe they resolved it.

But unless you are writing an authoritative book on cheap DCC modelling what does it really matter.

• RMweb Gold

It’s time for a Winston Churchill quote:

“A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.”

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

You seem to be missing an important distinction. No one is saying that current Lais decoders are pirated. Early versions were allegedly pirated but the current ones are not. Either the design has been revised sufficiently or an agreement was reached.

The qualification "allegedly" has strong circumstantial evidence, which many of us choose to take at face value. Indeed, there are people reading this thread who saw the 2015 TCS statement.

Many people who accept the commonly understood version of events choose not to do business with Lais as a matter of principle.

You owe it to readers of your "DCC on a shoestring" proclamation to inform them that the Lais decoders have a controversial history, whether you believe that history or not, because that controversy is undeniable.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators

I think it's time to put an end to the OP's demanding behaviour and close this off.

I respect what I have been told by my well-informed sources and I wouldn't buy them.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• AY Mod locked this topic